First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Last week I installed a bug deflector, the kind that wraps under the front edge of the hood rather than sticks to the top with sticky tape. After I finished installing it, the hood was a bit harder to close than before. I looked around for good instructions on how to adjust the hood bump stops or latch to make it close the way I wanted, but could not find any clear instructions... so I made this how-to video detailing the process. Hopefully this will help anyone down the road who runs into the same problem:

Sponsored

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
Hello Kimball,

I just picked up my ordered ‘20 Ranger and have a Bug Guard on order. As delivered, the hood takes a bit of effort to close, I found your video extremely informative and very well presented!

Thank you for this,
Harry

meistreguy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
This may be a little late but you could take the loop off of the hood and put some small washers under it. I got my bug deflector from AVS but I did not have that problem.

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I suppose that either the loop or the latch could be adjusted. I will look into both scenarios when my deflector arrives. Even now as delivered my hood latching is a bit tighter than maybe is necessary.

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On second thought, I think that I would prefer to adjust the latch as Kimball has demonstrated.
By adding washers under the loop, it will not be as secure as it is now being bolted directly to the hood.

pete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 2019
I've got a 2019 XLT and just installed the AVS II bug shield. I started to adjust the hood catch and removed the two T30 torx screws and the 5 plastic push clips form the panel but my grill is different that the one shown above with no openings large enough to get my hand into and release the clips.

Does anyone know how to release the clips holding the panel to the grill on an XLT?

OP
OP
quangdog

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
You can just pull pretty hard up towards the ceiling, and the clips will release. It's not as gentle, but should not damage anything. Don't yank on it like a madman, but expect to have to put some muscle behind it. Good luck!

PineyKingsnake

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Retired Military
Last week I installed a bug deflector, the kind that wraps under the front edge of the hood rather than sticks to the top with sticky tape. After I finished installing it, the hood was a bit harder to close than before. I looked around for good instructions on how to adjust the hood bump stops or latch to make it close the way I wanted, but could not find any clear instructions... so I made this how-to video detailing the process. Hopefully this will help anyone down the road who runs into the same problem:

Kimball, Great pair of videos. Literally, my deflector arrived from Amazon while I was watching them. Cheers, Dave

OP
OP
quangdog

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Kimball, Great pair of videos. Literally, my deflector arrived from Amazon while I was watching them. Cheers, Dave
So glad they were helpful to you! I hope you love your new deflector. :)

gov cheese

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt super cab
did this when i installed the raptor lights. Make closing the hood way easier with the AVS II bug deflector installed. Only moved it about 1/8 inch.
Sponsored