How many of you already have dings?

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Only 3k miles so far (thanks COVID). I gave my self a pretty good scare within the first couple hundred miles when opened the driver door into some crap I had leaning against the wall in the garage, and immediately saw the giant "scratch" it left. Upon closer inspection, it turned out it was just a rub mark that waxed right out. Phew!

I've got some pretty good scuffs in the bed. I'm not so worried about those because 1) it's a truck that I bought for doing truck things with, and doing truck things puts scuffs in the bed; and 2) at some point I'll be getting LineX sprayed in.

Did get a very minor scratch on the passenger side that I think came from a kid (not sure if my own or one of the neighbors they play with) brushing against it with their bike. Barely visible and I don't think it even penetrates all the way through the clearcoat.
Sponsored

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Fleckbass

First Name
BRUCE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER XLT FX4 WHITE
Small chip on rim of hood by latch. Wondering if this truck is gonna hold up like the last 2 rangers, thin doors that flex and noticed a rusted bolt head inside door yesterday ?

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
Anyone using a clear bra type film on the front or sides ?

How effective is it against stones and bugs ?
I'd like to know too. No dings, but I have a couple chips from my general grabbers throwing stones. I'd like to do the bottom of the doors in something to prevent it going forward. Makes me sick when I hear a rock hit my door.

Deleted member 1634

Small chip on rim of hood by latch. Wondering if this truck is gonna hold up like the last 2 rangers, thin doors that flex and noticed a rusted bolt head inside door yesterday ?
I don't think this gen will last as long in mint condition (won't look as pretty), but from a functional and mechanical standpoint I'd imagine it should keep chugging along for quite a while. It probably won't be as good at taking the spouse out for a fancy dinner near the end, but will still be plenty good and doing truck things.

Deleted member 1634

I'd like to know too. No dings, but I have a couple chips from my general grabbers throwing stones. I'd like to do the bottom of the doors in something to prevent it going forward. Makes me sick when I hear a rock hit my door.
I did this to protect my rocker panels and lower edges of my doors, because of this very reason. I know at least one other on here has done something similar, and went even a little higher up on the doors as well.

Bedliner applied myself on a Saturday afternoon.

IMG_20200530_131334145_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200530_160404283_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200530_160415912_HDR.jpg

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Appraiser
I did this to protect my rocker panels and lower edges of my doors, because of this very reason. I know at least one other on here has done something similar, and went even a little higher up on the doors as well.

Bedliner applied myself on a Saturday afternoon.

IMG_20200530_131334145_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200530_160404283_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200530_160415912_HDR.jpg
I saw that, it looks good! I like it. I just don't know if I can pull the trigger on that just yet ha. I have a hard time taking sandpaper to my brand new truck (although I did do a bedliner in the back, I know). I'd have to go a little higher too. My chips are in that lower segment of the door. Wheels, tires, and a lift look awesome, but living with it is a bit of a pain ha.

Deleted member 1634

I saw that, it looks good! I like it. I just don't know if I can pull the trigger on that just yet ha. I have a hard time taking sandpaper to my brand new truck (although I did do a bedliner in the back, I know). I'd have to go a little higher too. My chips are in that lower segment of the door. Wheels, tires, and a lift look awesome, but living with it is a bit of a pain ha.
Yeah, it was a little scary at first taking the sandpaper to it, especially in such a noticeable and vulnerable spot. But as is on topic of this thread, my Ranger has plenty of other dings and scratches (after only 13 months so far) and I'm not worried about it not looking perfect and mint and super shiny, so what's one more imperfection. haha In fact, I probably only wash mine a few times a year, and most of those are in the spring to try and get the salt grime off from 7 months of winter. haha

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Appraiser
Yeah, it was a little scary at first taking the sandpaper to it, especially in such a noticeable and vulnerable spot. But as is on topic of this thread, my Ranger has plenty of other dings and scratches (after only 13 months so far) and I'm not worried about it not looking perfect and mint and super shiny, so what's one more imperfection. haha In fact, I probably only wash mine a few times a year, and most of those are in the spring to try and get the salt grime off from 7 months of winter. haha
That makes sense. I hear ya on the salt. My mustang goes in the garage for the winter, and I usually drive my old beater dodge neon. Now the ranger will handle the most of the winter duties. It would have been the neon for another winter, but I couldn't pass up that 0%. Now the neon will likely go to pasture. I want to keep this truck as nice as I can, as long as I can. But as you know, winter and salt has a way of accelerating the deterioration process.

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger (2019), Chevrolet Camaro 2002 Anniversary Edition
5000 miles owned 16 months no dings (garaged)

Hate dings...I bought wide running boards and a Bug Deflector II to keep the leading edge of the hood protected
Having it garaged is one of the few ways to keep it from getting cosmetic damage.

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm 100% sure the truck will not hold up cosmetically for longer than a few years (especially since I keep mine outside). Metal feels flimsy like a can of beans, and the paint damages super easily. With that said, I feel as though the engine + transmission will be solid for years to come. I am continuously impressed with the smooth ride + acceleration on this as a 4 cylinder truck. Also love the payload capacity. I might swap it out for another truck in a few years if I find any competition is built more durable. A few overseas manufacturers bringing trucks to the states in the next few years. I don't really have brand loyalty, just want the best mid size truck I can find for the money.

Last edited:

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Having it garaged is one of the few ways to keep it from getting cosmetic damage.
We always garage our vehicles......I have neighbors who have a $50 stack of crap in their garages and $40,000 vehicles in the driveway. My garage is not a storage locker LOL

Turborave

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
Vehicle Showcase
i got hit by a bad hail storm back in June.. my truck doesnt even have 1k miles on it yet.. you better believe i got those PDR'd... putting it through insurance, hope to see $700 or so.. there is one on the roof that the pdr guy can see, but honestly i dont really see it thats a $400 dent because of the headliner. i think im going to leave that one and roll the $$$ into some running boards.

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i got hit by a bad hail storm back in June.. my truck doesnt even have 1k miles on it yet.. you better believe i got those PDR'd... putting it through insurance, hope to see $700 or so.. there is one on the roof that the pdr guy can see, but honestly i dont really see it thats a $400 dent because of the headliner. i think im going to leave that one and roll the $$$ into some running boards.
PDR guys can do an excellent job at times. I had a few dents that got repaired recently and they came out about 95% of the way, can barely tell there was a dent there.
Sponsored