How does Ranger ride with K02's?

Deleted member 15875

Ask and you shall receive

695EF41C-1C3C-499A-AABD-D267FCDB8320.jpeg
Definitely sexy. How's road noise? I was looking them up and I'm certain they are great offroad, but also quite bit heavier than OEM ties. Like 15 lbs heavier for the 265/60/18.

Reactions: Doc

Urabus33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Xlt
Definitely sexy. How's road noise? I was looking them up and I'm certain they are great offroad, but also quite bit heavier than OEM ties. Like 15 lbs heavier for the 265/60/18.
Thanks!

Noise is not bad at all. There is some moderate tire noise around town with the windows down at maybe 40mph but it’s very low for an aggressive tire.
These are still C rated so not as heavy as some other options in this size and good road manners. Overall quite happy with the purchase. They balanced pretty well for a big tire too.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I'm already in with the purchase of a set of "E" rated K02's for my Ranger.
Snipped for brevity and the E-Highlight is my doing...
And that's going to be your point of misery. I'm running the C1 rated tires and LOVE them. Have a good 15k on them. Just getting broken in good. Great on the trail. Great on the pavement. Great in the wet. They are relatively quiet for what they are too. No detriment to MPG either. It was an all upside upgrade for me.

However - people that put the E rated tires on have had issues with ride quality.
See this response in a prev thread.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/regretting-my-new-tires.11696/post-245316

Excerpted:
I think the lesson here is the E Rating, and not the BFGATKO design. An E has a heavier carcass and stiffer plys. A Perelli Scorpion, Hankook, Bridgesstone Desert Dueller, or General Grabbers, if built to the same E Load rating would have similar drive characteristics when compared t lesser load rated tires.

A C1 rated ATKO weighs in at 46LBS and runs on pavement at 40 PSI and carries a max load of 2469 per wheel for a combined axle load of about 5,000 LBS.

An E rated version weighs in 54LBS and runs on 80PSI on pavement and can carry up to 3197 per wheel for a combined axle load of 6,400 LBS

The Ford Published Max Rear Payload Capacity is 1,800 LBS. If you figure the back half of the truck doesn't weigh more than 1,000 LBS (just my guess) then the max load on your rear tires should never exceed 2,800 LBS. That's only 56% of what the C rated tires can handle and is a minuscule 43% of what the E rated tires can handle.
Discount tire had them [C1 Rated] aired up to 40 pounds and I noticed when I moved the truck off of where I was parking it that the tire patch print it left was a little lean on the outer edges so I chalked my tires. Turns out 40lbs of air is too much. I aired them down to 36 and the patch got even and the chalk looks consistent across the tire.

Now my wife doesn't bounce around the cab like dice at a craps table any more.

After seeing what a difference 4lbs of air made in a C load rated tire I question the sanity of any tire shop putting an E load rated tire on a Ranger and juicing it up to 80lbs. Not even the finest tires in all the land would ride well under those conditions.
To put it bluntly... Any trained tire technician should advise you against an E rated tire on your Ranger. Sell it to you if you ask for it, but part of what you are paying for in the price of that tire is their advice and wisdom. They need to be forthcoming with the fact that an E rated tire sacrifices all of the ride quality for no gain in performance because it handles well above what the Ranger can handle. They need to at least recommend a C or C1 rated tire - BFG, Pirelli, Firestone, Goodyear, brand doesn't matter. The E rating will kill your MPG and comfort.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Love my 6ply 265/70/17 KO2's! (45lb.) Quiet and smooth riding on the highways. Can't tell that they are A/T's by the ride. Most reviews say they are long lasting and wear well.

Single Wheel 1 Best.jpg

Side 1 (Best).jpg

Last edited:

OP
OP
txquailguy

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
In that size the factory crash bars will be fine(unless you are using spacers or changing wheels). As for ride? Ok I guess? Most of the ride quality issues with the ranger come from the shock. With the right shocks the ranger does great. As for tires it does matter to an extent. In my Pathfinder it had load C KO2's and now it has Load C Destination XT's. Personally I think the XT's ride smoother but im not too positive on that. On the Ranger i had load Range E XT's in 285/70-17. Paired with the Old Man EMU it rode nice for me. With KO2 it may have ridden just as well but hard to say. Just remember that its not all with the tires
Thanks for the input Chris...yeah I run 1.5" FactionFab wheel spacers and I do have a custom offset on my wheels. Heck my factory size tires rub just a smidge, but only on the driver's side. That's why I'm installing the offset crash bars. For the price I really couldn't pass up the deal on the K02's. I wanted to get them on before any kind of weather hits up here in NOCO. These sorry, sorry Goodyear Assurance tires I have are ridiculous in any kind of wet/snowy weather!!! They wore so damn fast I got $332 back from Discount tire, but that helped get me a great deal on the K02's. You know me, I'm a punisher on my 2.3....lol. That's pretty much over because I'm not wearing down these tires just to go a bit faster. With little tires on the Ranger....she's a beast!!! With the K02's, I'm thinking not as much.....
So I need to get in a little "STI Bustin" down on College Ave. between now and next Monday....lol.... :wink:

OP
OP
txquailguy

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
And that's going to be your point of misery. I'm running the C1 rated tires and LOVE them. Have a good 15k on them. Just getting broken in good. Great on the trail. Great on the pavement. Great in the wet. They are relatively quiet for what they are too. No detriment to MPG either. It was an all upside upgrade for me.

However - people that put the E rated tires on have had issues with ride quality.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/regretting-my-new-tires.11696/post-245316

Excerpted:

To put it bluntly... Any trained tire technician should advise you against an E rated tire on your Ranger. Sell it to you if you ask for it, but part of what you are paying for in the price of that tire is their advice and wisdom. They need to be forthcoming with the fact that an E rated tire sacrifices all of the ride quality for no gain in performance because it handles well above what the Ranger can handle. They need to at least recommend a C or C1 rated tire - BFG, Pirelli, Firestone, Goodyear, brand doesn't matter. The E rating will kill your MPG and comfort.
Thanks Greg!!! Now I'm tripping a bit on that news but hey, they are not on my ride yet so changes can always be made. I know @Discount Tire very well. They have put most sets of tires on my vehicles since 1986 and I know they will take care of whatever I want. I'm headed over there this morning to see if we can get those switched out for C1 loading. I'm fine with a 6-ply still better than 2. That's the big reason I'm not going with the Toyo Open Country AT3's. Thanks again for the post brother!!!

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
I was set on KO2 but did not want to wait for the size I wanted. Went with Cooper Wild Trek xl 265/70/17 hybrid at/mts. Saved 400 buxs (I bought 5ea) and very happy with my choice 6k miles later. They do everything the KO2s do and more for less.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Thanks!

Noise is not bad at all. There is some moderate tire noise around town with the windows down at maybe 40mph but it’s very low for an aggressive tire.
These are still C rated so not as heavy as some other options in this size and good road manners. Overall quite happy with the purchase. They balanced pretty well for a big tire too.
mine also make a lil noise around 40 mph. must be the norm for the tread pattern.

Jthomp19

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger fx4
Occupation
Trophy husband
I got the 265 65 r18 ko2s
No rubbing, no cutting crash bars. I love my black appearance package wheels and didn’t want to buy a new set.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase

Excerpted:

this last bit is a bit incorrect if you are needing a e load its for more offroad use... a c load is more prone to puncture and tears from rocks so there is a reason for a e load... but if you are only doing this for daily driving and the look then yes there is no reason for a e load tire

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
mine also make a lil noise around 40 mph. must be the norm for the tread pattern.
its the tread pattern its a old and dated tread pattern that tbh makes a good amount of noise compared to others

Hickesy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2021 STX SuperCab 4x4
I think they look badass but have been put off them from reports of them not doing well on slick roads which in the Pacific Northwest is a good chunk of your driving

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
I'm running 265/70/17 10 ply's with fox shock to level it out. not sure on the wheel details but i changed the offset to bring the tires out to "just" inside the wheel wells (for legal reasons :)) . Love them. gas mileage takes a hit. runs great off road in the summer and winter but I'm not rock crawling or extreme mudding. I didn't need to remove or change crash bars with my set up.

I was running snow covered forest service roads with my taco buddy last winter. I was cruising along without a care in the world and looked back and my buddy was sliding and fish tailing all over the place. i thought he was messing around but turns out he wasn't. the traction control on these new riggs make one a much better driver i guess. ???
Sponsored