Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
this last bit is a bit incorrect if you are needing a e load its for more offroad use... a c load is more prone to puncture and tears from rocks so there is a reason for a e load... but if you are only doing this for daily driving and the look then yes there is no reason for a e load tire
I'll agree there - E is LESS prone to puncture than C1. Thicker heavier carcass, more plys, etc.

However... The C1 is still an off road tire and still does well off road. I wheel mine all the time with confidence and security. Also the E rated tire is meant for a heavier vehicle exerting more force on a tire that's rolling over sharp rocks. Ranger weighs 4,400 lbs and a Dodge Ram 2500 can weigh almost double that at 8,500 lbs. So I wouldn't throw a C1 rated tire on a Ram and I wouldn't put E rated tires on a Ranger.

When a vehicle is properly equipped with the right tires (Ram with E and Ranger with C1) the chances of puncture are about the same. And anyone who exhibits poor off-roading skills can trash a tire regardless of how well made it is.

I'm an 80/20 guy. 80% on road, getting to Home Depot, occasionally the office, and road trips to go camping / fishing - then 20% off road. I'd much rather have a C1 rated tire and drive it smart off road than abuse my MPG, ride comfort, and add unsprung weight to the axles than drive around on E rated tires at 80PSI. Everything in life is a compromise. I don't find the additional puncture resistance of an E tire over a C1 tire to be worth all of the things you have to sacrifice to run it. Your mileage may vary.
Sponsored

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
I'll agree there - E is LESS prone to puncture than C1. Thicker heavier carcass, more plys, etc.

However... The C1 is still an off road tire and still does well off road. I wheel mine all the time with confidence and security. Also the E rated tire is meant for a heavier vehicle exerting more force on a tire that's rolling over sharp rocks. Ranger weighs 4,400 lbs and a Dodge Ram 2500 can weigh almost double that at 8,500 lbs. So I wouldn't throw a C1 rated tire on a Ram and I wouldn't put E rated tires on a Ranger.

When a vehicle is properly equipped with the right tires (Ram with E and Ranger with C1) the chances of puncture are about the same. And anyone who exhibits poor off-roading skills can trash a tire regardless of how well made it is.

I'm an 80/20 guy. 80% on road, getting to Home Depot, occasionally the office, and road trips to go camping / fishing - then 20% off road. I'd much rather have a C1 rated tire and drive it smart off road than abuse my MPG, ride comfort, and add unsprung weight to the axles than drive around on E rated tires at 80PSI. Everything in life is a compromise. I don't find the additional puncture resistance of an E tire over a C1 tire to be worth all of the things you have to sacrifice to run it. Your mileage may vary.
Yes and no a c rated would have been destroyed easy back on my tacoma and how I wheeled there is a reason people get stronger tires when they do more intense stuff now what I do with my ranger a c will be fine

Your wheeling sounds very light duty so c Is best for you and most full size rigs I know don’t always run e load sometimes I’ve seen them run stronger it just depends on your needs

Overall road difference isn’t much besides your weight and how it feels over bumps but coming from someone who has only ever had e load tires for years it’s not much different tbh besides the mpg and weight

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Yes and no a c rated would have been destroyed easy back on my tacoma and how I wheeled there is a reason people get stronger tires when they do more intense stuff now what I do with my ranger a c will be fine

Your wheeling sounds very light duty so c Is best for you and most full size rigs I know don’t always run e load sometimes I’ve seen them run stronger it just depends on your needs

Overall road difference isn’t much besides your weight and how it feels over bumps but coming from someone who has only ever had e load tires for years it’s not much different tbh besides the mpg and weight
With the wheeling I do its not what you would call light duty..... Well with most pf the trails maybe but there are trails i hit that are not considered easy luke Hancock Pass here in Colorado. I did that with Load Range C tires just fine. Would a Load Range E hold up better? I'm sure it would. But remember the tire technology has come a long way from the old days(with the exception of the KO2)

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
With the wheeling I do its not what you would call light duty..... Well with most pf the trails maybe but there are trails i hit that are not considered easy luke Hancock Pass here in Colorado. I did that with Load Range C tires just fine. Would a Load Range E hold up better? I'm sure it would. But remember the tire technology has come a long way from the old days(with the exception of the KO2)
Tire tech has come a long way! That is very true but I’ve destroyed a c load in the past now it was a ko2 soooo who knows haha it is pretty ancient! but for the wheeling I did back then I wouldn’t go lower then e load didn’t want to risk it haha so for me light duty and daily driving stick with c range if you want to wheel and be dumb and follow Jeeps on trails you prob shouldn’t be on get an e it will hold up the best

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tire tech has come a long way! That is very true but I’ve destroyed a c load in the past now it was a ko2 soooo who knows haha it is pretty ancient! but for the wheeling I did back then I wouldn’t go lower then e load didn’t want to risk it haha so for me light duty and daily driving stick with c range if you want to wheel and be dumb and follow Jeeps on trails you prob shouldn’t be on get an e it will hold up the best
Funny you say that. My 1993 Pathfinder will go places that Jeeps dream of. My Pathfinder is stock with 31's and will go places a Jeep will go once it has 37's!! LOL

Reactions: EJH

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Funny you say that. My 1993 Pathfinder will go places that Jeeps dream of. My Pathfinder is stock with 31's and will go places a Jeep will go once it has 37's!! LOL
Okay so I’ll say this and try and be nice about it buuuut… I doubt it…. I know people with 37s that will out wheel anyone and a pathfinder was never that great of a rig and saying it will out wheel a built Jeep or other rig is kinda silly… but you do you

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Okay so I’ll say this and try and be nice about it buuuut… I doubt it…. I know people with 37s that will out wheel anyone and a pathfinder was never that great of a rig and saying it will out wheel a built Jeep or other rig is kinda silly… but you do you
Its ok, I'm sure you get what im saying. Put simple we take our vehicles that others wouldnt dream of until they do the crazy modifications

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Its ok, I'm sure you get what im saying. Put simple we take our vehicles that others wouldnt dream of until they do the crazy modifications
Ya I do

now you could out wheel someone if your I don’t give a shit factor is really high and have welded diffs then you just pin the skinny pedal and let er eat lol

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ya I do

now you could out wheel someone if your I don’t give a shit factor is really high and have welded diffs then you just pin the skinny pedal and let er eat lol
Lol I just go for what i know I can do confidently. If im not too sure then i try to have another join as a just in case factor. Thankfully the Pathfinder is well engineered compared to most vehicles on the market. With the right stuff even the Ranger will go far that others wont think of. Back in July @CO2Ranger and I did the Tincup Loop and one very cute waitress was suprised at us doing Hancock Pass in the Pathfinder and Ranger. Oh and the Ranger was modified LOL. Regardless it was fun and many think that if you dont have a Jeep you cant do a "Jeep Trail"

0717220943.jpg

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Program Manager
If I recall, the OP asked for comments regarding the ride quality of the BFG ATKO2 tires in an E Load Rating, not a pecker measuring contest.

Anyone got any additional info on ride quality?

XRANGER2019

First Name
STEVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER XLT SPORT 4X4
Occupation
HYDRAULIC TECH
SO I sure don't start very many threads but I'm already in with the purchase of a set of "E" rated K02's for my Ranger. I've had them on a '01 Blazer back a few years and they rode fairly well on that piece. I'm curious how you folks with K02's installed feel about the ride quality (road noise, handling, braking etc...) on our Rangers? I have personally been focused on the performance aspect of our trucks, especially with tires so this will be a pretty radical change from the first 86K. I'm also moving up a size from the stock Lariat FX4 tires 265/60 18 to a LT265/65 18 (offset crash bars go on this weekend). They will be 1.1" taller and quite a bit heavier (52lbs vs 31lbs/tire) so I definitely expect a performance and gas mileage drop. Anyway, just looking for fellow Ranger opinions of actual drive time with these tires...TIA!!
I installed a set of 265 /70 /17 ko2 BFG'S and it improved the ride and the handling truck has more grip noise difference is minimal.

Reactions: EJH

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
How are they in the rain?
KO2's do ok in the rain. How do i know this? For starters experience on the Pathfinder. Second just look at the tread design. Not much for sipes in the tread so wet traction will be on the poor side

Deleted member 15875

KO2's do ok in the rain. How do i know this? For starters experience on the Pathfinder. Second just look at the tread design. Not much for sipes in the tread so wet traction will be on the poor side
I guess I don't rely on tread design. I tend to put far more weight on real-world testing.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Program Manager