Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
SO I sure don't start very many threads but I'm already in with the purchase of a set of "E" rated K02's for my Ranger. I've had them on a '01 Blazer back a few years and they rode fairly well on that piece. I'm curious how you folks with K02's installed feel about the ride quality (road noise, handling, braking etc...) on our Rangers? I have personally been focused on the performance aspect of our trucks, especially with tires so this will be a pretty radical change from the first 86K. I'm also moving up a size from the stock Lariat FX4 tires 265/60 18 to a LT265/65 18 (offset crash bars go on this weekend). They will be 1.1" taller and quite a bit heavier (52lbs vs 31lbs/tire) so I definitely expect a performance and gas mileage drop. Anyway, just looking for fellow Ranger opinions of actual drive time with these tires...TIA!!
Sponsored

UnregistredHypercam2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser VX Limited
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I had 265/65/18 KO2s for about 10k miles. On-road performance was very comfortable, no noticeable increase to road noise but I also always have the windows down so that’s very subjective. I was particularly happy with how they did in the ice and snow this past winter. Only reason I changed was because I moved up to 35s.

JeeperCreeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep + Ranger Tremor
Considering the Tremors come with the General Grabber ATX... And the ATX is pretty much a tread knock off if the BFG... And the Tremor is the nicest riding version of the Ranger.

I would say they handle great! If you have a decent suspension, I'm guessing the only thing you'll feel is the spun weight of the tires.

Urabus33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Xlt
Just got some KO2 in 285/70. Had the same on my Wrangler a while back.

They ride great, low noise at highway speed, and did quite well in the rain so far being brand new. Still working out what PSI I prefer them at, 35 is probably the magic number for me personally. They're aggressive but not overly compromised like a M/T would be. There's a reason why they are widely regarded as the king of A/T tires.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
In that size the factory crash bars will be fine(unless you are using spacers or changing wheels). As for ride? Ok I guess? Most of the ride quality issues with the ranger come from the shock. With the right shocks the ranger does great. As for tires it does matter to an extent. In my Pathfinder it had load C KO2's and now it has Load C Destination XT's. Personally I think the XT's ride smoother but im not too positive on that. On the Ranger i had load Range E XT's in 285/70-17. Paired with the Old Man EMU it rode nice for me. With KO2 it may have ridden just as well but hard to say. Just remember that its not all with the tires

UnregistredHypercam2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser VX Limited
Occupation
Cybersecurity
In that size the factory crash bars will be fine(unless you are using spacers or changing wheels). As for ride? Ok I guess? Most of the ride quality issues with the ranger come from the shock. With the right shocks the ranger does great. As for tires it does matter to an extent. In my Pathfinder it had load C KO2's and now it has Load C Destination XT's. Personally I think the XT's ride smoother but im not too positive on that. On the Ranger i had load Range E XT's in 285/70-17. Paired with the Old Man EMU it rode nice for me. With KO2 it may have ridden just as well but hard to say. Just remember that its not all with the tires
FWIW I added 1.5” spacers to my 265/65/18 KO2s and did not have any rubbing so you’re also safe in that department.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i run e rated ko2s in 265 70 17. they ride just fine if not better than the stock tires. air pressure makes a lot of difference with heavier tires. i run mine at 35 cold so during use they get to 38 -40. ive found that to be the best ride and tire wear for me. more air than that and the tires feel stiff. much less than that and they are not making a good flat contact on the road.

Reactions: Doc

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Substantially slower and good hit on MPGs. Ride should be great with proper pressure. I have always liked them.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Mark, you just might be freaking out for the first hour or so. When I switched from OEM to General Grabber 32s, I was thinking: “What the heck did I just do?!” It felt sluggish on takeoff and like it had an anchor tied to its butt when I let off the gas.

Within an hour on the highway, I was used to the new behaviour characteristics of heavier, wider tires. My Grabbers are similar to the KO2s you’re considering so don’t let that first impression get the better of you.

Like so many things, they take getting used to.

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
ko2s are overpriced and over done tires... the performance on them is pretty poor compared to other ats for on road and off road... i ran them on my tacoma for about 6 months? then sold em off to just get rid of them! i hated that tire! terrible traction in wet, terrible in mud(not even deep mud!) awful on slick rocks awful in snow completely hated them! the only thing a ko2 is good at is dry rocks and sand there they do great! buuut other ats do just as good or better... they did look neat thou but meh...

since then ive ran toyo atIIIs i had a belt slip on those with 4k miles so not much to say besides great for snow! and overall look but idk much else tbh...

wildpeaks ive had two sets but not a ton of time with so far but so far they have done great in sand and some light mud and do great in rain. now i have wheeled with people on wildpeaks and obviously they will not do good in mud its an at... but overall they do great! good side wall flex good traction on wet/muddy rocks

so honestly a great tire! id recommend the wildpeaks before ever dealing with ko2s unless you got a good deal of like 400 bucks on em because to me thats all they are worth...

Deleted member 15875

Just got some KO2 in 285/70. Had the same on my Wrangler a while back.

They ride great, low noise at highway speed, and did quite well in the rain so far being brand new. Still working out what PSI I prefer them at, 35 is probably the magic number for me personally. They're aggressive but not overly compromised like a M/T would be. There's a reason why they are widely regarded as the king of A/T tires.
Love to see some pics on your ride if you can post.
Sponsored