How much does different tread height matter?

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
We finally got around to fitting a matching fifth/spare wheel and our fifth tire (duratrack, purchased as a five wheel
Set) entered the rotation with almost 10k miles on it. The tread blocks are almost 1/8” taller on the “new” tire.

I’ve certainly read plenty of warnings about running tires of different sizes to avoid drivetrain damage. In fact a five tire rotation was partly to avoid just that if we need the spare when far from the beaten path. It just worked out that I couldn’t get a matching rim until recently.

does this small discrepancy matter? Is there a rule of thumb
For what is tolerable?
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Should be fine. The Ranger has open diffs, a slight difference shouldn't matter.

I rotate at 5k miles along with oil change. A smaller interval will lessen the discrepency.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i wouldnt worry about that small amount. where did you take the photo on your profile ? looks awesome!

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
i wouldnt worry about that small amount. where did you take the photo on your profile ? looks awesome!
that photo was taken in Titus canyon in Death Valley, definitely the best way to get from north to south if you’re passing by Death Valley or a worthy destination on its own. Not really off-roading through if that’s what you’re looking for.

sounds like the consensus is no predicted harm. We will start rotating more frequently and appreciate everyone’s advice.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I had to buy two new tires because of cactus in the sidewall @ 15,000 miles. I put a few more lbs of air in the older tires to increase the diameter. Mis matched tires on dry pavement might cause a problem in 4 whl drive. I dont do that.

Reactions: Doc

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Yes it will matter to an extent but as long as the spare is more or less the same size you should be fine.
Sponsored