A ding in the windshield. The moment you say "it won't happen to me" it will.

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase

There is a $8-$10 product, if used properly, will reduce a small ding (within limits) in a windshield to a very small minor blemish using a clear resin. Permatex 09103 Windshield Repair Kit

Please note: I have tried it on a vehicle, with excellent results, but you need to follow the instructions to the T.
Sure beats paying Safelite for a new windshield or even worst yet having them "try to repair the ding"

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-09103-Windshield-Repair-Kit/dp/B000ALJ4MY
Follow the vendor's repair video exactly (on Amazon) to obtain the best results.;)
Sponsored

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Just call your insurance company and request that they waive your deductible and get a new windshield. If you live in Kentucky, Florida and a couple other states there is automatically zero deductible for windshield replacement

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

There is a $8-$10 product, if used properly, will reduce a small ding (within limits) in a windshield to a very small minor blemish using a clear resin. Permatex 09103 Windshield Repair Kit

Please note: I have tried it on a vehicle, with excellent results, but you need to follow the instructions to the T.
Sure beats paying Safelite for a new windshield or even worst yet having them "try to repair the ding"

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-09103-Windshield-Repair-Kit/dp/B000ALJ4MY
Follow the vendor's repair video exactly (on Amazon) to obtain the best results.;)
I tried one of these on my old Ranger (2005) and it worked OK, but the chips I had repaired by a local glass firm (not Safelite) were WAY better. I think those repairs were like $50 and they came to my house to do the repair. I will probably continue to use them for rock chip repairs.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just call your insurance company and request that they waive your deductible and get a new windshield. If you live in Kentucky, Florida and a couple other states there is automatically zero deductible for windshield replacement
Driving the back roads in rural America windshield dings happens a lot. On the first time, the insurance companies will pay with no questions asked. But, have it happen several more times, and the insurance companies will turn against you. This solution will get you by "several times" before getting a complete new windshield replaced.;)

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Driving the back roads in rural America windshield dings happens a lot. On the first time, the insurance companies will pay with no questions asked. But, have it happen several more times, and the insurance companies will turn against you. This solution will get you by "several times" before getting a complete new windshield replaced.;)
We used to get free windshield repairs but a few years ago they stopped doing that (not sure why). Repairs are still a lot cheaper than replacement if you can do them. We have a local place that does onsite repairs (they come to you) for about $50. If you have multiple cars that need repairs, it is a bit cheaper per repair.

I'm doing better with my new Ranger - no big chips or anything yet. My last Ranger I had for 3 days and got a huge rock hit that required a full replacement. That really bothered me - 3 days! I didn't have another one like that in the 14 years I owned it.

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
If you pick up enough windshield dings for insurance to have a problem with it, I would say you ought to try not following people so closely :like:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you pick up enough windshield dings for insurance to have a problem with it, I would say you ought to try not following people so closely :like:
Out here in Oregon we don't use salt on the roads (with a few very special exceptions), but they spread "sand" (which is really very small gravel) that gets kicked up. That is where a majority of the windshield cracks come from. When my last Ranger got that one, it was kicked up from the car going the other way. Not a lot you can do about it.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I would say you ought to try not following people so closely
In my many ding instances, the trucks and vehicles are/were coming from "the opposite direction";)
When following trucks, make sure that they have their rubber matt fenders hanging down or stay way, way back;)

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Anyone who suggests "not following so close" needs to come drive a few months in Michigan.

Read this in your best Tim Allen voice for best results.

((Cue the Pure Michigan music))

In Michigan, a land where the rocks that smash your windshield used to be part of the road. A land where the rocks that used to be part of the road, and which smash your windshield ((dramatic pause)) also come from oncoming traffic.

A land where anything is possible... As long as it involves a cracked windshield and a gravel train.

((Music plays out dramatically))

I'll just be sad when mine gets chipped and Ford wont supply OEM glass with the RANGER logo on the bottom of it, or the insurance company won't pay for it.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Kind of a funny thread. I lived in Ohio for 46 years, then we moved to Colorado in 2004. Your little windshield chips back there in Ohio are cute. I had one windshield replacement back there, just 1 in all those years.

Out here if you're are driving on the highway your vehicle gets literally sand blasted. Everywhere you look there are busted windshields.

And then there are all the non-paved roads that we drive on up here in the mountains. There are more non-paved roads than paved roads.

So for us, fixing those little chips... that will turn into cracks, is encouraged, it's like preventative maintenance. And the windshield replacement places will come to your home and fix those chips for you and do a much better job than the do it yourself kits.

Via

First Name
ViaC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler
Occupation
accountant
Absolutely! A ding in the windshield can be frustrating, but I found a fantastic $8-$10 solution - Crack Eraser's windshield repair resin collection. It's designed for professional repairs and can reduce small dings to minor blemishes with clear resin. You can find it here: https://crackeraser.com/collections/20-windshield-repair-resin . Give it a try and enjoy a clear view on the road without breaking the bank!

2021Ranger

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Best thing you can do if as soon as it get a ding is cover the ding in some packing tape. That will keep the road dirt out of it (and the repair if you choose to do it)..and the repair will look and last..

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Got this kit. And fix all dings myself, and on the wifes car too. And mothers car, and everyone elses. It saves a poopload of money.

20230719_075650.jpg