A ding in the windshield. The moment you say "it won't happen to me" it will.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
Safelite did my wife’s windshield for a chip and did an awful job. They didn’t pull a vacuum before adding resin so it didn’t fill fully and looks terrible (also probably not reliably fixed). Ended up contesting, then charging back. Worst part is that the crack is sealed so the air in the center cannot be fixed.

I did my own truck and unless my car and windshield is spotless (rare) it is impossible to detect. Even after a wash you have to look quite hard for it.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Safelite did my wife’s windshield for a chip and did an awful job. They didn’t pull a vacuum before adding resin so it didn’t fill fully and looks terrible (also probably not reliably fixed). Ended up contesting, then charging back. Worst part is that the crack is sealed so the air in the center cannot be fixed.

I did my own truck and unless my car and windshield is spotless (rare) it is impossible to detect. Even after a wash you have to look quite hard for it.
I've seen others say they've had problems with Safelite too. Sad because I've used them here and back in MA and have had great luck with them. But like anything it all depends who's running the company and who they hire.

MP1 had a nice size chip right in the middle of the windshield. I had Safelite fill it right before our trip last June and it held up great and you couldn't see it unless I told you where it was. Even after my accident (which took a good hit) the windshield never cracked.

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
I've seen others say they've had problems with Safelite too. Sad because I've used them here and back in MA and have had great luck with them. But like anything it all depends who's running the company and who they hire.

MP1 had a nice size chip right in the middle of the windshield. I had Safelite fill it right before our trip last June and it held up great and you couldn't see it unless I told you where it was. Even after my accident (which took a good hit) the windshield never cracked.
They also farm work out to local shops. On my last car I had a large crack so had the windshield replaced. It was in the winter and my black car was covered in salt, etc so I didn’t immediately notice the gashes up and down the a pillars, and on the hood. I think they used a metal tool to pull the gasket, and dropped the old windscreen on the hood.

$1500 in paint they eventually covered.

The real kicker is that the replacement windshield had a visual defect causing the horizon to visually jump 6” at eye level when sitting in the passenger seat. That windshield also cracked within a week near said defect, and they wanted to not replace that.

I had not fixed a chip myself before doing it on the truck but after the shit job they did on my wife’s car I figured I couldn’t do worse. Shop that filled her chip was a first party operation. As far as I know the geniuses that did my windshield a decade ago are out of business.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I have an unusual "scratch" roughly 50mm square from a hard debris hitting my windshield...it's not very noticeable unless you stare at it but am wondering how this can be fixed? Polishing?

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
I have an unusual "scratch" roughly 50mm square from a hard debris hitting my windshield...it's not very noticeable unless you stare at it but am wondering how this can be fixed? Polishing?
You could likely use the permetax kit. I’d expect you wouldn’t pull a vacuum (could try, but area likely larger than repair area), but do the second step of the process which is filling the top of the crack with resin, then using a razor to scrape excess to a flat surface.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
You could likely use the permetax kit. I’d expect you wouldn’t pull a vacuum (could try, but area likely larger than repair area), but do the second step of the process which is filling the top of the crack with resin, then using a razor to scrape excess to a flat surface.
I forgot to mention that there's no crack or star...

Kawffin

First Name
Marlow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Cultivation technician II
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone here deal with sand damage on their windshield. I'm driving through sand storms on the daily and at about 6 pm when driving towards the sun I'm completely blinded by all the sand damage on my windshield.

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
I forgot to mention that there's no crack or star...
I’d expect you could do the second part still. You put some on the surface, little patch to hold in place. Let it cure, peel patch, use a razor to trim/smooth.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Anyone here deal with sand damage on their windshield. I'm driving through sand storms on the daily and at about 6 pm when driving towards the sun I'm completely blinded by all the sand damage on my windshield.
I do not live in the desert. Our main highway here in south texas for some reason or another has gravel and rocks galore. All of the vehicles we own all have the look of sand just hitting the windshield. Really wierd. But i am getting it on the ranger too. Just small enough not to crack anything, but just leave the tiniest of craters
Sponsored