How do you carry 12' or longer lumber with the 5' bed on the Ranger?

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
This thing is pretty sweet. All the talk here is about hauling boards, but full size kayak owners should take notice. A set of foam roof rack pads and you can probably carry a couple of these.
IMG009.JPG

Me and the wife touring the Apostle islands lake Superior a few years back.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
I have seen something like this on a ranger here in town. But carrying ladders. It matched up with a roof rack and had bars and tie down points. Pretty genius. Back end connected to the receiver hitch

20210712_001946.jpg

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I have one of these (there are different brands that are similar). Only like $100, and was shipped and received fast.

https://www.etrailer.com/Truck-Bed-Extender/MaxxTow/MT70231.html

It can be low so things are at bed/tailgate height or raised to be at roof/rack height. I am still waiting on my Ranger but I've used it on a Ridgeline and a Tacoma to haul my 13 foot kayak on long trips, worked great.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I have seen something like this on a ranger here in town. But carrying ladders. It matched up with a roof rack and had bars and tie down points. Pretty genius. Back end connected to the receiver hitch

20210712_001946.jpg
They're usually adjustable so they can be used in low position with tailgate down too; mine is.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Well whenever I need 10-12ft lumber its usually a post that will go in the ground, so I have a few bags a cement to put on top! ?
Also my Nissan had Utilitrack in the floor so I could have straps going across as well. Not sure if the Ranger tie downs are low enough.
With a 12 footer and the bed down its less than 6ft hanging in the breeze! ??
But Lowes is ~1 miles from my house so...

I also used to have my backup camera on the bumper, so when the tailgate was down it still showed whats behind me! And the radio had an option to turn it on while driving. That way I could watch for falling lumber!! ????

CWO2LT

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport trim 4 x 4, Hot Pepper Red, Line-X bed liner, Retrax Pro XR tonneau cover
I have one of these (there are different brands that are similar). Only like $100, and was shipped and received fast.

https://www.etrailer.com/Truck-Bed-Extender/MaxxTow/MT70231.html

It can be low so things are at bed/tailgate height or raised to be at roof/rack height. I am still waiting on my Ranger but I've used it on a Ridgeline and a Tacoma to haul my 13 foot kayak on long trips, worked great.
These things are the best. I bought on when I redid my deck and it carried 25 12' trex boards with no problems. Best money I've spent for the truck.

OP
OP
Bludrok

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Well whenever I need 10-12ft lumber its usually a post that will go in the ground, so I have a few bags a cement to put on top! ?
Also my Nissan had Utilitrack in the floor so I could have straps going across as well. Not sure if the Ranger tie downs are low enough.
With a 12 footer and the bed down its less than 6ft hanging in the breeze! ??
But Lowes is ~1 miles from my house so...

I also used to have my backup camera on the bumper, so when the tailgate was down it still showed whats behind me! And the radio had an option to turn it on while driving. That way I could watch for falling lumber!! ????
You can do that with a Rostra on the Ranger. I have it installed, but havent put on the cargo camera yet.

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
Nothing grinds my gears more than a portrait mode video. WTF, my eyes are side by side, not stacked on top of one another.

soupcook

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger and 2017 GMC Acadia Denali
Occupation
Retired
1626357042888.png

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
You can do that with a Rostra on the Ranger. I have it installed, but havent put on the cargo camera yet.
By the way that cover is pretty awesome. I love creative designs like that. Its way more than I would need, but that's a great solution.