Carrying 12' pipes, hang out of the bed?

OP
OP
Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CG Tremor
You guys.

I drove through hilly country roads and gravel roads with this hanging off the ranger with the tailgate up. It was too wide to have the tailgate down with the wheel wells. Looked like a giant wing. I even stopped at the liquor store on the way with a cop parked across the street and he didn't move.

You can just strap a 45lb plate to it on the driver end to hold it down if you need to.
This is helpful, thank you. I am either going to do this or just rent a uhaul for the hour I need.
Sponsored

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
This is helpful, thank you. I am either going to do this or just rent a uhaul for the hour I need.
There is no substitute for safety.
Rent the U-Haul.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
What's the diameter of the pipes?

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
A guy I know, did this with baseboard moulding in his brand new Infinity. He drove into his garage and caught the door frame. They punctured the rear interior leather door panel and buggered up the door skin!

This same guy drove into his garage with two road bikes on the roof rack of his Subaru. Ruined everything - bikes, garage, car. 🤦‍♂️ Poor Chris.
Ah that explains it.

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
You guys.

I drove through hilly country roads and gravel roads with this hanging off the ranger with the tailgate up. It was too wide to have the tailgate down with the wheel wells. Looked like a giant wing. I even stopped at the liquor store on the way with a cop parked across the street and he didn't move.

You can just strap a 45lb plate to it on the driver end to hold it down if you need to.
Doing farm stuff in farm country.
Nobody thinks twice about it.
Substitute ranch for farm as needed.

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
Why even use the bed at all when there are other solutions? Some of the below images are apparently from a country where the steering wheel is on right so you'll have to flip it the other way if you go that route. 😜

pipescar1.png

pipescar2.jpeg

carpipe3.jpeg
That's why you open both rear windows and only have it stick out 3 1/2 feet each side 🤓

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Two ratchet straps and it didn't even budge the entire ride. Thanks all.

PXL_20230616_181640652.jpg

PXL_20230616_181646376.jpg
Awesome and heartily-approved by me! LOL, I tend to overdo stuff and you did great with this.

And it didn't stick out nearly as much as I had pictured.

Plus - you have middle tie-downs?!? =D

And now we can all breathe a sigh of relief. I swear, we are quite the caring group! Your pipe transport was like waiting on a new grand child! =D

1686942225765.png

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
A guy I know, did this with baseboard moulding in his brand new Infinity. He drove into his garage and caught the door frame. They punctured the rear interior leather door panel and buggered up the door skin!

This same guy drove into his garage with two road bikes on the roof rack of his Subaru. Ruined everything - bikes, garage, car. 🤦‍♂️ Poor Chris.
All due respect to Chris but...according to The Duke...."Life is hard, even harder when you're stupid"....

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
Late to the party, but I'd use thule roof rack (Thule Front Load Stop 321 in use with Thule Side Profiles 322)

1687018231563.png
Sponsored