Hood Struts

seasprite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XL STX
So, back to hood struts. Just installed mine at lunch today. (About an hour after they arrived.  ) What's the general verdict here after installing the struts? Remove the prop rod or leave it as is? While I did not remove it at lunch, seriously thinking it's going to get remove
Going to leave mine on in case the struts fail I don't have to use a pair of vice grips
Sponsored

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
So, back to hood struts. Just installed mine at lunch today. (About an hour after they arrived. :giggle: ) What's the general verdict here after installing the struts? Remove the prop rod or leave it as is? While I did not remove it at lunch, seriously thinking it's going to get removed.
20230316_135826.jpg
Younger me would have removed it for extra HP. Old me says, leave it ...

But holy cow, how is your engine so clean! o_O

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
So, back to hood struts. Just installed mine at lunch today. (About an hour after they arrived. :giggle: ) What's the general verdict here after installing the struts? Remove the prop rod or leave it as is? While I did not remove it at lunch, seriously thinking it's going to get removed.
20230316_135826.jpg
Removed the prop rod this evening. While having a beer.... hanging out in the garage and looking at the Ranger.

I've got it so flipping bad for this truck. ?

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Installed my struts this past week, yesterday I opened the hood and both had popped off the lower ball mounts.

I slid the little plastic piece down on both sides and thought they were locked in... (one side it is completely gone now)

As the pictures show, one side with missing slide lock, one side with it in the up position I found it in when I opened the hood, and the final picture is where I have the slide lock.
PXL_20230527_222811366.jpg
PXL_20230527_223311495.jpg
PXL_20230527_223616452.jpg

Anyone else have issues with the slide lock not staying locked? I emailed redline tuning, but it's a holiday weekend everywhere.

Also, I'm glad I left the prop rod in place...

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Also, around the lower ball mount the metal is not body color painted - do we think Ford at least put some protection on the metal or is it "bare metal" now exposed to the atmosphere?

I'm going to stop now before I go on a rant about the piss poor paint job they did on this truck for a paint color that costs extra...

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Installed my struts this past week, yesterday I opened the hood and both had popped off the lower ball mounts.

I slid the little plastic piece down on both sides and thought they were locked in... (one side it is completely gone now)

As the pictures show, one side with missing slide lock, one side with it in the up position I found it in when I opened the hood, and the final picture is where I have the slide lock.
PXL_20230527_222811366.jpg
PXL_20230527_223311495.jpg
PXL_20230527_223616452.jpg

Anyone else have issues with the slide lock not staying locked? I emailed redline tuning, but it's a holiday weekend everywhere.

Also, I'm glad I left the prop rod in place...
Take another look at step 5 on the install and compare it to your posted pic, you missed a important note on the install.

1685284004629.png

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Also, around the lower ball mount the metal is not body color painted - do we think Ford at least put some protection on the metal or is it "bare metal" now exposed to the atmosphere?

I'm going to stop now before I go on a rant about the piss poor paint job they did on this truck for a paint color that costs extra...
Some have replaced the body washer that comes with the Redlines with a Home Depot Body / Fender washer the same size as the original factory washer that was removed to cover the bare metal.
The Redlines come with a smaller diameter washer.
I tried to locate it, I thinks its buried in the What did you do to your Ranger, thread

Edit: Found it

Amazon has the Black Painted Washers

Amazon.com: Hard-to-Find Fastener 014973436551 Fender Washers, 1/4 x 7/8, Piece-8 : Industrial & Scientific

Last edited:

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Take another look at step 5 on the install and compare it to your posted pic, you missed a important note on the install.

1685284004629.png
When I emailed redline I knew it was probably something silly. It doesn't seem intuitive to me lol

Shrug

Guess I'll be buying a new end for the strut. 😂

Also, thanks for the black washer link. :)

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired

I used my Cactus Gray touch up paint and took care of it. I had asked Redline about providing a larger washer when they did the initial install on my truck but it was the largest diameter one they had in their selection.

yamahaSHO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 23 Maverick, 04 S2000, 07 Sky RL
Occupation
ECU Calibration - USAF Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Some have replaced the body washer that comes with the Redlines with a Home Depot Body / Fender washer the same size as the original factory washer that was removed to cover the bare metal.
The Redlines come with a smaller diameter washer.
I tried to locate it, I thinks its buried in the What did you do to your Ranger, thread

Edit: Found it

Amazon has the Black Painted Washers

Amazon.com: Hard-to-Find Fastener 014973436551 Fender Washers, 1/4 x 7/8, Piece-8 : Industrial & Scientific

They are actually nicer than the advertised black paint. I am pretty disappointed, as a car guy, that Redline included the washer they did. It was either cost savings or a newb.

1685331431869.png
Sponsored