Here we go... She's sprung a leak

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Australian models had a problem with the front transfer case seal leaking, replacements used to leak too, finally Ford released a revised design seal but to replace that you had to replace the whole flange. Interestingly in line with the whole alloy knuckle / steel knuckle thing, my front diff looks identical to yours, but the casing is cast iron, not alloy. I'm changing the oil later today and I'll take a pic.
Sponsored

OP
OP
grammat95

grammat95

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor - Lariat (Black)
Occupation
Maritime Professional
Australian models had a problem with the front transfer case seal leaking, replacements used to leak too, finally Ford released a revised design seal but to replace that you had to replace the whole flange. Interestingly in line with the whole alloy knuckle / steel knuckle thing, my front diff looks identical to yours, but the casing is cast iron, not alloy. I'm changing the oil later today and I'll take a pic.
Some words from Mr Farley and a new quality honcho at FoMoCo , Ford I believe also has had a lot of recalls :

“Quality is our No. 1 priority as a company, and Jim Baumbick is the right leader to deliver world-class quality and reliability at Ford,” CEO Jim Farley said in a statement.

Farley has complained about quality, warranty claims, recalls and problems with launching new vehicles since his appointment as chief executive two years ago.

At the company’s annual shareholders meeting in May, Farley said the problems are affecting Ford’s financial performance, but also causing pain for customers.

“We’ve made more progress on our launch quality and initial quality, you could see it in the surveys and our ramp-up of production,” Farley said at the meeting. “However, we are not satisfied at all with our quality performance, including our recalls and customer satisfaction efforts, which we need to quickly accelerate. ”
I'm glad they at least recognize they have some major problems. Introducing so many new models in a short span of time is bound to result in some quality fumbles. I love this truck but I'm looking forward to ordering a 6g. Hopefully they will have a good launch on that one...

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Yes but my truck had a leaky one too, and at this stage the global ranger had been in production for almost 5 years. Plenty of time to sort design issues. When they introduced the 2.0 Bi turbo engine here it came with the 10 speed auto. Ford actually stopped selling for a bit and recalled all the Bi turbo models both Ranger and Everest due to failures on the 10 speed autos and the fuel injectors. The 10 speeds had been in use in the US for some time before this. These issues reek of sub par suppliers which I hope Ford rectifiers.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Well, I guess this will be the first major issue I've had with my Ranger. I peaked under my truck today after noticing some Oil drips on the pavement and it appears
that the front diff. has sprung a leak. From what I can see, it seems like the seal between the half shaft and front diff. is where the oil is coming from. Take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think. I called the dealer and the earliest I can get in is December (the truck is under warranty, currently at 35,000 miles).

IMG_4952.jpg
IMG_4954.jpg
IMG_4955.jpg
Here's what the cast iron clamshell looks like on a global, I did an oil change yesterday. The other mess isn't a leak, I did an oil change on the engine as well and the filter dumps oil everywhere when unscrewed.

PXL_20221112_004359878.jpg

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Here's what the cast iron clamshel looks like on a global, I did an oil change yesterday. The other mess isn't a leak, I did an oil change on the engine as well and the filter dumps oil everywhere when unscrewed.

PXL_20221112_004359878.jpg
Thankfully we dont have to worry about the filter dumping everywhere in the States. Ford made a nice drip tray to make up for the stupid location.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Thankfully we dont have to worry about the filter dumping everywhere in the States. Ford made a nice drip tray to make up for the stupid location.
Yes given the filter is in a similar location to the one on the Ecoboost engine you'd think they could have provided one here as well.

MIBuckeye

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Hey, mine had the same oil leak at about 15000 mi. It turned out to be a cracked valve cover. My leak dripped down the back of the engine from the valve cover.
Interesting.... I've been trying to solve my oil smell problem for a year and look what I've just found...same exact issue as OP...need to check again and verify what kind of fluid it is...
20221107_164506.jpg

20221107_164515.jpg

MIBuckeye

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
I checked to make sure engine oil wasn't leaking from the oil filter or drain plug and both were dry. I too had the same concern about running out of oil in the front diff and possibly causing damage. I opened a case with Ford corporate explaining that the shops were backed up and that I didn't want to be held liable for any damage.
Any word from Ford? I have the exact same problem. Dealer cant get to until Dec 16. Keep in mind, if the seal is bad, it too, is on backorder. I'm going to order one now in hopes that it comes in before I can bring the truck in....

OP
OP
grammat95

grammat95

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Maritime Professional
Any word from Ford? I have the exact same problem. Dealer cant get to until Dec 16. Keep in mind, if the seal is bad, it too, is on backorder. I'm going to order one now in hopes that it comes in before I can bring the truck in....
Both the dealer and ford corporate didn't seem to care that this could possibly destroy the front differential. I thought about trying to order the seal as well... BTW this may sound creepy but I know where you live. You're the only other guy in my area with a black tremor lol. I built a house just a few miles down the road from you.

Red Tornado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL with STX package
Occupation
Quality Engineer
Just noticed some small drip marks under my 2020 several days ago. Looked underneath and it's in the same area as everyone else's. Oil on the frame by the back edge of the driver front tire and also felt that drain tube/channel and it's got oil in there as well. Last oil change was June/July so it's not like they didn't get the filter on tight or didn't seal properly, that would have shown up before now, right?
Checked oil and it's a little above the full line on dipstick. Was going to take it in for an oil change right after Thanksgiving, now looks like I'll have to make an appointment to get it looked at.
This will be the 2nd warranty repair in less than 2 years of ownership, and I also have another issue I might have them look at while it's in there, so you could say 3 warranty issues in less than 2 years. Just to think, I bought new so I wouldn't have to get stuff fixed so much. SMH

OP
OP
grammat95

grammat95

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Maritime Professional
Just noticed some small drip marks under my 2020 several days ago. Looked underneath and it's in the same area as everyone else's. Oil on the frame by the back edge of the driver front tire and also felt that drain tube/channel and it's got oil in there as well. Last oil change was June/July so it's not like they didn't get the filter on tight or didn't seal properly, that would have shown up before now, right?
Checked oil and it's a little above the full line on dipstick. Was going to take it in for an oil change right after Thanksgiving, now looks like I'll have to make an appointment to get it looked at.
This will be the 2nd warranty repair in less than 2 years of ownership, and I also have another issue I might have them look at while it's in there, so you could say 3 warranty issues in less than 2 years. Just to think, I bought new so I wouldn't have to get stuff fixed so much. SMH
You might want to look again to pinpoint were exactly the oil is coming from. The oil channel coming from the filter was dry on my truck. The only oil drip I was able to find was right at the bottom of the front differential casting... and the oil itself was clearly gear oil rather than motor oil.

OP
OP
grammat95

grammat95

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Maritime Professional
Update:
I took my truck into the dealer this week hoping that they would top off the differential oil and I was turned away with the explanation being that it was "very difficult to just top it off." The service rep clearly had zero mechanical experience and at that moment I realized that I was wasting my time.
I picked up a bottle of gear lube and it turns out that the front diff was roughly 1/2 way empty. I'm glad I topped it off because I've had to use 4WD on icy roads for the last couple days...

Red Tornado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL with STX package
Occupation
Quality Engineer
You might want to look again to pinpoint were exactly the oil is coming from. The oil channel coming from the filter was dry on my truck. The only oil drip I was able to find was right at the bottom of the front differential casting... and the oil itself was clearly gear oil rather than motor oil.
With the step bar hanging down, I was limited how far underneath the truck I could go. If I get time over Thanksgiving I might jack it up for a better look. It's definitely engine oil, that much I know.

OP
OP
grammat95

grammat95

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Maritime Professional
Update: The dealer finally had a chance to look at the front diff leak. As expected, the pinion seal and flange has failed and they don't have the parts to fix it. The service rep. claims they can't even order the part as it's "unavailable," so they will have to reach out to Ford corp. to figure out a solution.

OP
OP
grammat95

grammat95

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Maritime Professional
Update: My truck was fixed on Jan 6th. They replaced the "Rear seal" on the front differential and that seems to have fixed the issue. Still not sure why the first one failed but hopefully this seal lasts a little longer!
Sponsored