got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
funny how game wardens show up when you don't need them and never around when you do. you take home the deer you hit?
Sort of, I donated it to Hunters for the Hungry. It was small and I didn't want to pay to have a deer processed that had bloodshot meat.

BS67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Eye Tech, 2A supporter, USMC "Doc" '89-'95
They show up when you don't need them so they can make sure your staying legal....
They are never around when you need them because they are out dealing with morons trying to illegally take wildlife resources.....
So tell me what state allows you to take home a deer you hit on the highway? :question:
Nebraska

If a deer is struck and the driver wants to salvage it, the driver may possess the deer but must contact a Nebraska Game and Parks Commission conservation officer within 24 hours to obtain a salvage tag.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
There is a subset of the population that is clueless as to where food actually comes from and is actively trying to curb hunting.

Hunter.jpg

And of course the menu can be arbitrarily changed depending on circumstances...

Line.jpg

LvRob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Occupation
Cybersecurity Architect
I shot this 100 lb doe on a deer depredation permit here in Pennsylvania on August 13th. I was out hunting for maybe 30 minutes when several groups of deer came out at various distances.
I was able to break in my 2022 blue Ford Ranger lariat on that evening after having gone out hunting maybe four times this summer.
This is the third year I've shot for this farmer since February. Back in April I counted over 54 deer running past me as I was looking for one that had shot and and declared lost.
Well this one in August was an easy one. Plenty of deer were coming out to feed in the evening and I had my pick. By 10:30 p.m. I had rinsed off the truck and the driveway of the blood. I had three coolers loaded with layers of ice and meat for the night. The next day I broke down the pieces into prime cuts. Then Monday morning I vacuum sealed it all and put it in the freezer.Yes I do my own butchering.

PXL_20220814_012514138.jpg

PXL_20220813_235255307.jpg

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Nebraska

If a deer is struck and the driver wants to salvage it, the driver may possess the deer but must contact a Nebraska Game and Parks Commission conservation officer within 24 hours to obtain a salvage tag.
That's the only way that system would work.....otherwise Jethro and his buddies would be out in their old Ford pickups with the game guard on the front, mowing down deer all over the place.... :wink:

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
That's the only way that system would work.....otherwise Jethro and his buddies would be out in their old Ford pickups with the game guard on the front, mowing down deer all over the place.... :wink:
I seriously don't think that would be as easy as you think. Plus, you really don't want bloodshot meat.

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
They show up when you don't need them so they can make sure your staying legal....
They are never around when you need them because they are out dealing with morons trying to illegally take wildlife resources.....
So tell me what state allows you to take home a deer you hit on the highway? :question:
New York, at least they did.

of course most road kill is unsuitable for human consumption. to much physical damage trashes the meat.

So 25 odd years ago, I was camping at a freinds house and my dad came to get me. oon the way home we saw a car hit a deer. and the deer run off. we called the cops, helped the guy, and then followed the deer trail into the woods. When the cop showed up we showed him the still suffering deer, he promptly put a bullet through it, and we asked to take it away. the police officer signed some paperwork and we hauled to our butcher.

When we went to pick up the cut meat we got about 45% of normal dues to tissue damage, and as we pulled out a cop pulled in to the butcher shop. The butcher called later to say they were following up because an out of season stop had happened.

That vension I later served as kabobs to my sister's wedding reception parties.

So yes folks I served Road Kill to a formal wedding party. and very few ever knew. did gets lots of complenments on the tasty food though.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
New York, at least they did.

of course most road kill is unsuitable for human consumption. to much physical damage trashes the meat.

So 25 odd years ago, I was camping at a freinds house and my dad came to get me. oon the way home we saw a car hit a deer. and the deer run off. we called the cops, helped the guy, and then followed the deer trail into the woods. When the cop showed up we showed him the still suffering deer, he promptly put a bullet through it, and we asked to take it away. the police officer signed some paperwork and we hauled to our butcher.

When we went to pick up the cut meat we got about 45% of normal dues to tissue damage, and as we pulled out a cop pulled in to the butcher shop. The butcher called later to say they were following up because an out of season stop had happened.

That vension I later served as kabobs to my sister's wedding reception parties.

So yes folks I served Road Kill to a formal wedding party. and very few ever knew. did gets lots of complenments on the tasty food though.
Great story, not as good as mine, but pretty good though!?