Finally got my new '22 Ranger. Some observations and questions..

Justin says...

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Lux
Occupation
IT System Analyst II
We drove 6 hours to get the truck from NC to KY so I'm back home now and it already has 400mi on it. On the way home (mostly highway as you'd imagine) I averaged 26.5mpg. Not bad. Its a 4WD XLT.

I like the truck pretty well so far. I did notice the left side of the tailgate is WAY off, like 1/4in poking out vs the right side. I might try to adjust something or in the worst case scenario I can take it to a local dealer.

My main concern is the transmission. What is the deal?! This thing is ALWAYS trying to be in a really high gear like 9 or 10. In stop and go traffic is kept trying to be in 6th gear at 12mph. Is this part of the adaptive learning process? Might this get better? It also seems to have all 4 tires out of balance especially noticeable on the highway around 60-70mph. Is this a thing where they come from the factory needing a rebalance?

Aside from those issues, it seems to be pretty good.

20220620_093025.jpg

20220620_124552.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Check air pressure in your tires. They are notorious for being way overinflated. Might be part of your balance issue.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Check the air pressure in the tires as many dealers are not. The transmission does move into the higher gears quickly. Did you get a chance to try sport mode? The shifting is different and it keeps you in power range better as it holds gears longer which is helpful in traffic. Some folks on here drive in tow mode.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Drive is great on the open road, x-way, for good mpg, but in stop and go traffic it will do just as you have found.
As others posted, in stop and go, drop it into "S" / Sport mode. Much more responsive, won't "lug" and will stay in gears longer...much more pleasant to drive.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Congratulations!

Other members have addressed most issues - pics of your tailgate issue would help. Some Ranger’s beds are not perfectly aligned. Having pictures of your situation will help other members advise you on this. Click away Justin.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Ah ok I hear you guys. And yep the tires are currently at 39/40psi as I sit here and check it at work on the app. I can reduce that.
Follow the psi sticker on your door jam...it's specific for the tires/size your Ranger is equipped with

OP
OP

Justin says...

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Lux
Occupation
IT System Analyst II
Congratulations!

Other members have addressed most issues - pics of your tailgate issue would help. Some Ranger’s beds are not perfectly aligned. Having pictures of your situation will help other members advise you on this. Click away Justin.
I will get some pics when I get home. If I simply knew what to adjust I'm sure I could take care of it and not have to waste time at a dealer.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Ah ok I hear you guys. And yep the tires are currently at 39/40psi as I sit here and check it at work on the app. I can reduce that.
I have mine set at 32. I believe door for mine is 30.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I will get some pics when I get home. If I simply knew what to adjust I'm sure I could take care of it and not have to waste time at a dealer.
The pics would be great. Let’s hope it’s something straightforward and easy to remedy.

If something got messed up when it was chained to whatever delivered it to the dealer, aligning it on your own might only make it look fine and not address any problems. There are some technicians and bodymen on here who might be able to help.

There are a few bawdy men on here as well. ?

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
Get a high quality tire gauge. My dash pressure display is off by 2 psi. I got some shaking in my steering the first trip and realized it happened every time I got to close to the center line. it would feel like an unbalanced tire from the lane keep warning system ?.

bfastr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Push the tow button and all will be well ? , yes , every time you have to push it

I will second the Tow mode. dumb as it seems its a nice in between from regular shifty Drive mode and Ricky race sport mode. I do use sport mode often when in hilly areas or I think I may need quicker acceleration. but for just putzing around town I tried the tow mode and agree it tames the transmission down.

thunders_truck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 scab ranger XL 4x4, 2008 nissan 350Z
Occupation
civil engineer
Also just wanted to add that (if I recall correctly) the variable transmission takes some time to learn your driving habits and adjusts rev ranges accordingly. I do feel like my truck was more comfortable to drive after giving it a couple of weeks to 'break in'.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I agree with others on tow mode for slow speed driving; traffic, school zones, etc. I keep sport mode for when I really want to haul ass.
Sponsored