Finally got my new '22 Ranger. Some observations and questions..

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
I have just been using sport every time I put it in drive. What is the difference in shift points between sport and trailer?
Sport is just more aggressive, higher rpms, tow mode is in-between sport and drive , BUT , it does have breaking in tow mode , if you have a downhill, you'll feel it ... most people who do the tune ask for " tow mode without the brakes"...
Sponsored

2stroke

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger Black Scab XLT FX4, 06 Honda Pilot
Occupation
Auto mechanic, retired
Check air pressure in your tires. They are notorious for being way overinflated. Might be part of your balance issue.
True, my tires were at 45psi. Spec is 35. Also check wheel nut torque, mine were all loose a half turn. Use a quality torque wrench and look up specs for your vehicle. Use the lockout feature to avoid high gears. It works great. Read Transmision section in the owners manual

OP
OP

Justin says...

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Lux
Occupation
IT System Analyst II
Thanks for all the comments. The truck is going to the body shop Wednesday (a Ford dealer with a body shop) to see what can be done about the protruding tailgate. My only hope is that the tailgate hinges have some adjustability although it doesnt look like they do from my point of view. The tailgate is sitting closer to the passenger side (little gap) and is creating a large gap on the drivers side and in addition, sticks out like I posted in the first couple pages. I really hope it doesn't come to actual body shop work like paint, etc because it never matches. :crying:

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Thanks for all the comments. The truck is going to the body shop Wednesday (a Ford dealer with a body shop) to see what can be done about the protruding tailgate. My only hope is that the tailgate hinges have some adjustability although it doesnt look like they do from my point of view. The tailgate is sitting closer to the passenger side (little gap) and is creating a large gap on the drivers side and in addition, sticks out like I posted in the first couple pages. I really hope it doesn't come to actual body shop work like paint, etc because it never matches. :crying:
Hope it is a minor adjustment that needs no parts or paint.

Might want to check for mallet marks to make sure they didn't hillbilly it back into alignment.

Idrivefast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Sport is just more aggressive, higher rpms, tow mode is in-between sport and drive , BUT , it does have breaking in tow mode , if you have a downhill, you'll feel it ... most people who do the tune ask for " tow mode without the brakes"...
I tried it on my drive home, I like it. Thanks

OP
OP

Justin says...

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Lux
Occupation
IT System Analyst II
they will probably say, in some form of corporate lingo that it's within build tolerances.
if you google this problem, it seems the consensus is that 3/16" is the accepted dimension for a tailgate gap. Keep in mind that it needs to be wide enough for bed flex...it's a truck after all and people do truck things with it. Its not a Lexus.

Then realise that mass produced stamped parts are not going to be identical from one vehicle to the next.
You may get nowhere with them.
or they may be able to tweak the tailgate a bit
but if you're striving for perfection, a run of the mill average joe pick-up isnt going to be perfect.
Yeah its funny when I was speaking in the video, in the back of my mind I was thinking it sounds like I'm expecting Mercedes-like panel gaps. I'm not. I just think it should be a little more even. As it turns out, if I slam the tailgate, it shuts and all seems pretty normal at least as far as the closing gap. It is still to far too the passenger side. But, oh well. We'll see.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Yeah its funny when I was speaking in the video, in the back of my mind I was thinking it sounds like I'm expecting Mercedes-like panel gaps. I'm not. I just think it should be a little more even. As it turns out, if I slam the tailgate, it shuts and all seems pretty normal at least as far as the closing gap. It is still to far too the passenger side. But, oh well. We'll see.
Mine cheats to the passenger side a little bit also ...

My truck-Dirt

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Facilities
Vehicle Showcase
Hello ,
I purchased Dirt” in March. My 2022 XLT.
Not sure if the same issue but wanted to let you know about my new truck issue.
I drove my truck one day and realized I felt a light shimmering at 55 to 70 on my way to work.
I took it back to the dealer and asked them to drive it.
The master mechanic came out and we drove about 5 miles. He confirmed, there was a vibration coming from the frontend differential. He explained a recall was coming from the manufacture in Michigan and that my differential needed to be completely replaced. He also mentioned it was a very new memo they received and it was only the second vehicle they have received.
I’m awaiting the new parts for repair. If this help s let me know and I’ll keep you updated on how it works out.

OP
OP

Justin says...

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Lux
Occupation
IT System Analyst II
Hello ,
I purchased Dirt” in March. My 2022 XLT.
Not sure if the same issue but wanted to let you know about my new truck issue.
I drove my truck one day and realized I felt a light shimmering at 55 to 70 on my way to work.
I took it back to the dealer and asked them to drive it.
The master mechanic came out and we drove about 5 miles. He confirmed, there was a vibration coming from the frontend differential. He explained a recall was coming from the manufacture in Michigan and that my differential needed to be completely replaced. He also mentioned it was a very new memo they received and it was only the second vehicle they have received.
I’m awaiting the new parts for repair. If this help s let me know and I’ll keep you updated on how it works out.
Get whatever info you can about this memo and see if they have any more info regarding a recall or TSB. Thanks!

Tueltschi

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Auto Painter
I put the Ford motorsports tuner it smoothed out the shifting and gets better mileage with 285/70R17s. I get 20 in town and as high as 27 on the highway