Finally got my new '22 Ranger. Some observations and questions..

AZ_Tremor

First Name
Angelito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Field engineer
Check air pressure in your tires. They are notorious for being way overinflated. Might be part of your balance issue.
I finally check the air pressure in my tires 3 weeks later and they were at 48 psi cold ?
Sponsored

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I use the little button on the side of the shifter to cancel out 10-9-8 gear when driving around town. Ford programmed the trannys like that to save a thimble full of gas per tank, and to aggravate the hell out of me. :)

Enjoy that new Ranger.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
1 thimble = 5ml
per week = 35ml
per year = 1820ml or 1.8L

Ford Ranger sales since 2019 = 300000

300000 x 1.8l = 546212 litres of fuel saved

now the thimble is probably lowballed big time, but you can see the big picture.
whats small to you, is huge to someone else.

this is probably close to ten tanker trucks for comparison

with over 276 million cars registered in NA in 2020....you can respect the savings overall.
they told me the same thing with my "3/4 of a gallon flush " toilet that it would save water versus the old 3 gallon relic i had , but what they didnt tell me was i would have to flush the 3/4 of a gallon toilet 27 times all while plunging it to make stuff disapear , i miss my old toilet now ...

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I use the little button on the side of the shifter to cancel out 10-9-8 gear when driving around town. Ford programmed the trannys like that to save a thimble full of gas per tank, and to aggravate the hell out of me. :)

Enjoy that new Ranger.
You miss the point of the gear lock-outs, so if you think the purpose is fuel savings then quit doing it.

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
As soon as property taxes are paid, I'll probably do the rear Bilsteins then the fronts when I can.

I've already started. Bought the armrest organizer storage cubby thing, the TAILGATE DAMPER!, the key cylinder trim part from the guy here on the forums, and I'm currently looking for a nice bug deflector.
It has begun.
Rears will help a lot. I originally ordered Bilsteins but they were out of stock for months, switched to Eibach and they were here in a couple days and very easy to install.

And I went with an AVS Bugflector II. It has actual hardware for installation, not just sticky stuff.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
We drove 6 hours to get the truck from NC to KY so I'm back home now and it already has 400mi on it. On the way home (mostly highway as you'd imagine) I averaged 26.5mpg. Not bad. Its a 4WD XLT.

I like the truck pretty well so far. I did notice the left side of the tailgate is WAY off, like 1/4in poking out vs the right side. I might try to adjust something or in the worst case scenario I can take it to a local dealer.

My main concern is the transmission. What is the deal?! This thing is ALWAYS trying to be in a really high gear like 9 or 10. In stop and go traffic is kept trying to be in 6th gear at 12mph. Is this part of the adaptive learning process? Might this get better? It also seems to have all 4 tires out of balance especially noticeable on the highway around 60-70mph. Is this a thing where they come from the factory needing a rebalance?

Aside from those issues, it seems to be pretty good.

20220620_093025.jpg

20220620_124552.jpg
Beautiful truck, congratulations!

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Old used up LEO
You miss the point of the gear lock-outs, so if you think the purpose is fuel savings then quit doing it.
Ummmmm, wait, what?

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Old used up LEO
1 thimble = 5ml
per week = 35ml
per year = 1820ml or 1.8L

Ford Ranger sales since 2019 = 300000

300000 x 1.8l = 546212 litres of fuel saved

now the thimble is probably lowballed big time, but you can see the big picture.
whats small to you, is huge to someone else.

this is probably close to ten tanker trucks for comparison

with over 276 million cars registered in NA in 2020....you can respect the savings overall.
I understand brother, it does help overall. But I live in the small picture, and lugging the engine doesn't seem to be a good idea to me. I get all kinds of vibrations in the truck when it lugs the engine. Locking out the top three gears doesn't hurt my in town mpgs, and the truck seems much happier.

donsmith

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Television cameraman and video editor
Drive is great on the open road, x-way, for good mpg, but in stop and go traffic it will do just as you have found.
As others posted, in stop and go, drop it into "S" / Sport mode. Much more responsive, won't "lug" and will stay in gears longer...much more pleasant to drive.
Is Sport mode supposed to shift on its own? For me (2WD/2022 Ranger), Sport mode only shifts manually. No ‘staying in gears longer’.

Idrivefast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Push the tow button and all will be well ? , yes , every time you have to push it , I just do it automatically when I shift out of park ...
I have just been using sport every time I put it in drive. What is the difference in shift points between sport and trailer?

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Is Sport mode supposed to shift on its own? For me (2WD/2022 Ranger), Sport mode only shifts manually. No ‘staying in gears longer’.
Yes, it shifts on its own.
Put the shifter in S and leave it alone. Don't touch the side button on the shifter.
Sponsored