Finally got my new '22 Ranger. Some observations and questions..

DreamSports

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Video of tailgate woes. Taking to dealer in the morning. We'll see what they say.

Made me go look at ours (22 STX).. Ours is perfect, both sides.. Hopefully just an an adjustment is needed.
Sponsored

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercab 4x2
Video of tailgate woes. Taking to dealer in the morning. We'll see what they say.

Mine closes tightly against the stops on both sides. When shut the tailgate sits just a bit in from the bed. Slightly bigger gap on the right, but just above the taillight. Not noticeable. Hopefully yours just needs an adjustment.
IMG_3729.jpeg

IMG_3730.jpeg

OP
OP

Justin says...

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Lux
Occupation
IT System Analyst II
Mine closes tightly against the stops on both sides. When shut the tailgate sits just a bit in from the bed. Slightly bigger gap on the right, but just above the taillight. Not noticeable. Hopefully yours just needs an adjustment.
IMG_3729.jpeg

IMG_3730.jpeg
Well I took it to a Ford dealer with a bodyshop. They were really nice and helpful and the manager did say to give him 30min so he could adjust it. When I picked it up, I have to say there really wasnt much difference; it might take just slightly less effort to get it to shut on both sides. As for the left to right bias, he said couldnt be adjusted. It's fine, doesnt really bother me that much.

donsmith

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Television cameraman and video editor
We drove 6 hours to get the truck from NC to KY so I'm back home now and it already has 400mi on it. On the way home (mostly highway as you'd imagine) I averaged 26.5mpg. Not bad. Its a 4WD XLT.

I like the truck pretty well so far. I did notice the left side of the tailgate is WAY off, like 1/4in poking out vs the right side. I might try to adjust something or in the worst case scenario I can take it to a local dealer.

My main concern is the transmission. What is the deal?! This thing is ALWAYS trying to be in a really high gear like 9 or 10. In stop and go traffic is kept trying to be in 6th gear at 12mph. Is this part of the adaptive learning process? Might this get better? It also seems to have all 4 tires out of balance especially noticeable on the highway around 60-70mph. Is this a thing where they come from the factory needing a rebalance?

Aside from those issues, it seems to be pretty good.

20220620_093025.jpg

20220620_124552.jpg
I have a 2WD ‘22 Ranger Lariat Super Crew. I work as a shuttle driver at a Ford dealer and there’s a difference in driving a 2WD and a 4WD, but I know about the tendency to drive in higher gears. I find myself driving in Tow mode instead. The climate controls in the 2019+ Ranger is the worst I’ve ever seen. Absolutely hate them but not so much that I would give up my truck.

Sierraford

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
This is what I was thinking as well. On my drive home from work I'll try both tow/haul as well as sport and see if that chills out the transmission. I'm a light foot driver and I usually try to squeeze out the MPG's on my work commute but this transmission only want to LUG all the time.

First purchase.... I thinking some Bilstein 5100's for the rear. Those I can do myself. The front ones I'll have to have someone else do. Will be interesting to see if they settle the truck down.
You will notice a positive difference with Bilsteins all around.
Sponsored