First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Occupation
Fixed equipment inspector
And if somebody was going to go through all that they would probably just steal one off a dealership lot, giving them the color and quality they desire.

Or if it's a sophisticated gang of recycling tweakers they could get many aluminum tailgates from the same location.

I'm all for self protection and security but there's a point at which it just becomes absurd.
You guys don't understand, I'm not suggesting anyone should go out and buy a lock, only that stealing a tailgate isn't that hard.

The city I live in goes through spells where stuff gets stolen and tailgates are one of the things they get. I have video of one group checking my stuff.

But I understand if someone wants a little extra protection.
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
You guys don't understand, I'm not suggesting anyone should go out and buy a lock, only that stealing a tailgate isn't that hard.

The city I live in goes through spells where stuff gets stolen and tailgates are one of the things they get. I have video of one group checking my stuff.

But I understand if someone wants a little extra protection.
And I'm not suggesting somebody who feels like they need it skip picking one up. Only that it's more work than the average recycling tweaker is going to go through.

SheepDogRain-Jar

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019.5 Ford Ranger XLT CPR
Occupation
Retired LEO/Retired Military/Doctoral Student
Those GD tweekers are grabbing tailgates to sell for the aluminum. Remember if you shoot a thief in the back immediately flip them over and shoot them in the front. Officer when he was threatening me I shot him in self defense when he fell he spun around and the second shot hit him in the back. ?
Too small a caliber! He should not have a front when done, only Dr. Lee will be able to determine the direction of the projectile.........and he is retired!

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
uh...call your local dealer and order it, then drive there and pick it up.
I likely will order it from the local dealer ----- I just wanted to support a forum member with my purchase.

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
the idea is simply to make it more trouble to take mine than the next one over with no lock on it. Im glad they at least make the thing lock with the doors - better than nothing but I think I will pick up the lock just to make it a little more difficult for them. thieves like easy targets

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
the idea is simply to make it more trouble to take mine than the next one over with no lock on it. Im glad they at least make the thing lock with the doors - better than nothing but I think I will pick up the lock just to make it a little more difficult for them. thieves like easy targets
That still doesn't make any sense because they won't see this tailgate gadget until after they've already ripped out the integral lock--there's no deterrent value at all. I guess you could put on a "protected by super secure extra tailgate lock" sticker, but just go with the sticker and not the lock. Or just don't live in constant fear for stuff.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
First they pry your tailgate down which also bends up the bed and the tailgate, then they cut your harness, and then they see your extra lock and leave. You saved your tailgate. :rolleyes:

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Honestly guys, In all the years I’ve been around and at times living in the city never heard of tailgates getting stolen. Even wheels and mags for that matter. Not saying it can’t happen but you would probably be struck by lightning before that happens to you. Last truck was 23 years old, still had the factory tailgate and rims on it when I put it down... ?

TrebMaxx

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4 Ford Ranger
In my local thieves are cutting out catalytic converters on SUV and Trucks while parked in parking garages even during the day. Some have hit residential areas at night.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
In my local thieves are cutting out catalytic converters on SUV and Trucks while parked in parking garages even during the day. Some have hit residential areas at night.
That was a thing in the mid 70’s when catalytic’s had way more platinum in them. I still have the one that was in my 97 Ranger. It’s worth $450 scrap still. Today’s units have way less material in them. Surprised they’re worth anything really

JimH

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Occupation
Retired
Friend of mine had the T-tops stolen from his 280Z -- insurance company told him to find a pair in a junk yard (they wouldn't pay for new ones).. he went to the local junk yard and found a set -- turned out to be his original tops!!

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
You guys in Portland look out, the tweekers will just get a free vacation at a so called treatment facility for stealing your stuff. And you will pay for it. LOL

Shomare

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
Occupation
Union President
what am I doing wrong? I have to unlock my truck to drop the tailgate. I've actually swore at myself for forgetting to unlock and having to walk back to the cab because I can't lower the gate.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
what am I doing wrong? I have to unlock my truck to drop the tailgate. I've actually swore at myself for forgetting to unlock and having to walk back to the cab because I can't lower the gate.
Happens to me frequently. When I haul my trash to the dump, I like to leave the Ranger idling while I offload. Tailgate doesn't unlock with the engine running, no matter how many times I give it the smart-ass eye roll.

Shomare

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
Occupation
Union President
Happens to me frequently. When I haul my trash to the dump, I like to leave the Ranger idling while I offload. Tailgate doesn't unlock with the engine running, no matter how many times I give it the smart-ass eye roll.
That is the same circumstances that I have encountered it. The looks I get from the staff at the dump as I have to walk back to unlock my fancy truck...
Sponsored