First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I'd say it would be $75 all in, but lumber pricing is in stupid land for a while now.

That’s what I meant
Lumber prices have come down a lot! Was just looking this past weekend and around me we’re pretty much at pre pandemic prices again. Should fall more when the brakes get put on new construction again with hyper inflation
Sponsored

TdotReckless

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT - 2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
I see it very differently.

The storage is pitiful for the product price point and for that money they could not even work a design to not show the hardware points? And I don't know if its just how you installed it, but all those non-flush panel lines? For $2,000? But hey, its made of metal I guess?

I'm sorry, but no. I won't commend that company for that product.

I am already working on V3 of my rear seat delete which is far more advanced in construction than the current version and the current version has a crap-ton more storage, feature rich quality of life items like gas struts, as well as camlocks for the bottom and RFID hidden locks for the rear wall. Even with all the molle gear you are probably still only around $200-250 in total cost.

IMG_20220606_204849.jpg

IMG_20220606_204832.jpg

IMG_20220607_195641.jpg

V3 won't be that much more, maybe $300 tops; its just a re-make, but quality of life updates like side and front floor panels that follow the curvature of the truck interior. Most of the increased cost is in the herculiner coating.

sketch.jpg
really clean work, great job man. Love all the storage space, you got me really thinking about it now :p

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
That looks like a really nice setup. If you were to produce it in volume, incorporate a business, and sell it, what do you think you'd need to charge to turn a profit?

I don't think the point of the Goose system is to provide enclosed storage areas on its own, although it makes sense to provide access to areas that are already there. It's to provide the most possible space, and the best possible surface to which you can then mount what you need. Think fridges, Pelican cases, etc. That's why all that hardware is exposed, so you can just bolt right to it.
I have no plans to go into business for any of my fabrications, but in 24 hours I could make some templates for the wood. If I was a one man operation without a job and could focus on production and production only, I could churn out multiple kits a day. Based on market competition (which is next to nothing or astronomically priced) I could charge half the rate or less of available products or 1/4th the price of available products for a Finish It Yourself kit and still make a metric butt-ton of money IF the market demand were to exist. With that said I would still feel weird charging $1000 or $500 what I created.

I have a personal beef with all these gucci off-road companies pricing new hobbyist out of the market, its why most designs I fabricate I share to the public (see sig for example).

At the end of the day they can charge what the market will bear, but that doesn't protect them from various opinions on the matter.

When you say "cheapskates" need not apply, I think "A fool and his money".

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
really clean work, great job man. Love all the storage space, you got me really thinking about it now :p

Once V3 is done I'll be posting a write-up in the DIY forum like I did for my 10 foot platform rack, feel free to copy it, modify it, or whatever. lol

lazynorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT FX4
Occupation
Public Health
@Wes Siler thanks for taking the plunge on this and sharing. I will count myself among those who will not shell out $2k but may take inspiration from this product and your build. Thank you!

In my imagination, I see this product or approach paired with a single jump seat, maybe even a recreation of what's in the Super Crew. A low profile seat for those occasions when a 3rd person gets invited to lunch. The type of seat you'd see in a super crew 1990's Ranger, Toyota or Mazda B series - those were sideways oriented, a very basic jump seat.

Mine's scheduled to be built (crew cab), but I can count on one hand the times I have backseat passengers in a typical year. I also have a dog and use my vehicles for longer duration car camping.

Re: noise, I've read there's vents to equalize pressure from door closure and airbag deployment. Those vents are right up against the back of the cab. Without seats, the road noise is very much a nuisance. 1st hand accounts on this forum. I'd think you'd need a decently high density foam to mimic the acoustic dampening of the seats now removed. Maybe the void space behind the Goose Gear or other plywood replicates the dampening.

Anyway, its a fun and useful project for those with better uses of the back area than human butts.

lazynorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT FX4
Occupation
Public Health
I have no plans to go into business for any of my fabrications, but in 24 hours I could make some templates for the wood. If I was a one man operation without a job and could focus on production and production only, I could churn out multiple kits a day. Based on market competition (which is next to nothing or astronomically priced) I could charge half the rate or less of available products or 1/4th the price of available products for a Finish It Yourself kit and still make a metric butt-ton of money IF the market demand were to exist. With that said I would still feel weird charging $1000 or $500 what I created.

I have a personal beef with all these gucci off-road companies pricing new hobbyist out of the market, its why most designs I fabricate I share to the public (see sig for example).

At the end of the day they can charge what the market will bear, but that doesn't protect them from various opinions on the matter.

When you say "cheapskates" need not apply, I think "A fool and his money".
I hear what you say. I don't think the Gucci brands are doing any gatekeeping to camping, though. As a teen, we threw our ancient Coleman gear into the truck, or Nissan Seneca or whatever other piece of crap, drove up the gnarly forest service roads, found our spot and had a great time eating hot dogs drinking beer from ice chests. There is no gatekeeping to camping, I could still enjoy myself with that rudimentary gear.

I agree its annoying that car camping turned into Overlanding. When you look to enjoy content on the matter, its primarily Gucci-fication of what is really a low tech 'sport' if you will.

That said, just like backpacking, I'm guilty of researching, investing and evolving my gear and technique to a higher level. I incorporate 12v fridges, 1500 amp hour lithium batteries, solar panels and higher tech/higher comfort gear than I did. My backpacking tent is $600. It is worth it for the tech and ultra lightweight. I could, as experiment, swing by a couple thrift stores and a Big 5, get everything I need for a few nights camping for relatively low dollars. No one gate keeps me, or anyone, really.

Secretly, I like it if folks feel they're gate-kept.. the outdoors are busy and trashed enough where I live, Washington State.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I hear what you say. I don't think the Gucci brands are doing any gatekeeping to camping, though. As a teen, we threw our ancient Coleman gear into the truck, or Nissan Seneca or whatever other piece of crap, drove up the gnarly forest service roads, found our spot and had a great time eating hot dogs drinking beer from ice chests. There is no gatekeeping to camping, I could still enjoy myself with that rudimentary gear.

I agree its annoying that car camping turned into Overlanding. When you look to enjoy content on the matter, its primarily Gucci-fication of what is really a low tech 'sport' if you will.

That said, just like backpacking, I'm guilty of researching, investing and evolving my gear and technique to a higher level. I incorporate 12v fridges, 1500 amp hour lithium batteries, solar panels and higher tech/higher comfort gear than I did. My backpacking tent is $600. It is worth it for the tech and ultra lightweight. I could, as experiment, swing by a couple thrift stores and a Big 5, get everything I need for a few nights camping for relatively low dollars. No one gate keeps me, or anyone, really.

Secretly, I like it if folks feel they're gate-kept.. the outdoors are busy and trashed enough where I live, Washington State.

You'll enjoy this! lol

Gucci Off-Road Rant

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
At this point, I sound like a broken record, but I'd really like to know if Siler is provided these products or if he's paying for them. It's easy to insult people about the price, when you aren't paying for it.

And before he tries to defend himself, the point could have been made without calling people cheapskates for not wanting to shell out $2000 on this product. Something like "This product has a big price tag, which may not be for everyone. There is a specific use case and, while the quality is top notch, there are DIY alternatives to save costs." Its not perfect, but I am not a writer, and I also didn't insult anyone who doesn't think that price is worth it.

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
At this point, I sound like a broken record, but I'd really like to know if Siler is provided these products or if he's paying for them. It's easy to insult people about the price, when you aren't paying for it.

And before he tries to defend himself, the point could have been made without calling people cheapskates for not wanting to shell out $2000 on this product. Something like "This product has a big price tag, which may not be for everyone. There is a specific use case and, while the quality is top notch, there are DIY alternatives to save costs." Its not perfect, but I am not a writer, and I also didn't insult anyone who doesn't think that price is worth it.
No offense intended. I'm sure you can imagine how frustrating it might get when literally every story about any piece of gear ever is, "money must be exchanged for goods and services?! Won't someone think of the children!"

You can read more about ethics in gear reviews here: https://wessiler.substack.com/p/lets-talk-about-ethics-in-gear-reviews

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
No offense intended. I'm sure you can imagine how frustrating it might get when literally every story about any piece of gear ever is, "money must be exchanged for goods and services?! Won't someone think of the children!"

You can read more about ethics in gear reviews here: https://wessiler.substack.com/p/lets-talk-about-ethics-in-gear-reviews
I may have missed if you responded to the question about either buying or being provided the kit.

I don’t think people are questioning that money must be exchanged for goods and services. I believe they are calling into question the disparity of how much you exchange versus what you get. Sure, DIY should be cheaper. But 90% cheaper? Factor in labour costs, and it is still 70-80% cheaper.

And I think you know there is a lot of room between “cheapskate” and buying the most expensive version of something.

My last point for you is, how dare you mention three hounds and not post a single picture!

Competition, options, and innovation are good. Both in the commercial/retail and DIY space. I am constantly impressed with what people are willing to try and able to accomplish.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
While @Wes Siler offers his position on journalistic integrity and product reviews, it’s just that, his side of the story - one that has many sides and can be different from one content provider to another, one brand producer to another. Here’s my side…..

As a marketer and corporate communicator, I’ve produced my fair share of mat articles over the years as well as editorial content for trade publications. They typically made their way into the publication with only minor edits for tone of voice or product positioning. Of course, these placements were almost always accompanied by purchased advertising space. Sometimes, the companies I worked for were already advertising in the publications and the content was requested by the publication. At other times, a request to purchase advertising quickly followed receipt of media releases or mat articles.

Simply put, magazines and web pages are placeholders for advertising. Publishers are as much in the advertising business as they are in the story-telling business, maybe more so. When a freelance or in-house reviewer or writer starts to negatively impact the publications ability to retain or attract advertisers, you can bet it results in a “coaching session”.

Can brand producers influence writers and editors? Damn straight - either as advertisers, content providers, or both. That’s why just about every review has a closing line similar to this…..“Besides a few minor annoyances, overall, we found the new Alfonso Di Credenza to be a quick, responsive and fun-to-drive entrant in this competitive segment”.

YMMV

Last edited:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman

He won't admit it. Because he's simply an advertising guy playing journalist.

Gauranteed it was provided for free in anticipation of a good review.

The one he posted here was taking our disdain into account. Wait until you read his glowing review in Outdoor "magazine."

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Quality: Fit and finish are well past any OE part in the interior and the entire thing is STRONG. It's made using marine-grade baltic birch ply that's certified by Lloyd's of London for yacht construction. So lighter, stronger, and way more impervious to moisture than anything you're going to buy at Home Depot. I believe the coating is Bullet Liner, so that's going to last too.
Wait a minute.

This piece of shit is made out of plywood and bedliner?

What a joke.

For $2k I could fly @OFC Ranger out, put him up in a nice hotel, feed him nuggies and beer, and have a nice carpeted custom one made with storage.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Wait a minute.

This piece of shit is made out of plywood and bedliner?

What a joke.

For $2k I could fly @OFC Ranger out, put him up in a nice hotel, feed him nuggies and beer, and have a nice carpeted custom one made with storage.
Actually...

Its particle board that gets a coating of a pudding mixture of watered down wood filler I make, sanded, primered, THEN bedliner. lol

$15.00 per 2x4 sheet.

I guess I could make it out of metal, but I don't plan on wrestling on it...

IMG_20220723_082007.jpg

IMG_20220724_170319.jpg

100_0001.JPG

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Actually...

Its particle board that gets a coating of a pudding mixture of watered down wood filler I make, sanded, primered, THEN bedliner. lol

$15.00 per 2x4 sheet.

I guess I could make it out of metal, but I don't plan on wrestling on it...

IMG_20220723_082007.jpg

IMG_20220724_170319.jpg

100_0001.JPG
I just figured from the look and the price that the GG one was steel. The fact that it's just plywood was kind of disappointing.
Sponsored