Excessive condensation/ water in catch can ?

CarbonTremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Tremor, 04 Jaguar XJR, 21 Bronco Sport
I have the mishimoto catch can on my 21 tremor & am pretty surprised how fast it fills up. I do about 300miles a week almost all highway and it filled up approx 1/4 of the way with water / condensation. Tried searching the threads, is this normal ? Thanks
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Do you live near a swamp?

Not actually being a smartass

I sort of leave near one and the amount of humidity here is stupidly high constantly. I would think that might play a factor in how much shows up in the can. Let a car sit for a while around here and fire it up and you will get water flowing out of the muffler when they hit the gas (depending on the design)

OP
OP
CarbonTremor

CarbonTremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you live near a swamp?

Not actually being a smartass

I sort of leave near one and the amount of humidity here is stupidly high constantly. I would think that might play a factor in how much shows up in the can. Let a car sit for a while around here and fire it up and you will get water flowing out of the muffler when they hit the gas (depending on the design)
Lol, I don't. I'm by the shore, I did read that in the cold weather our trucks produce alot of condensation that the catch can traps. . This just seems ridiculous & not into emptying it every week

OP
OP
CarbonTremor

CarbonTremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
couple things you could do.....tap into the can about 3/4 of the way up with a 1/4" cobalt twist drill , run a drain line under the frame and never drain it again
or:
just remove the catch can altogether and drive your truck worry free for the next 10 years. 5 if you're one of those doom and gloom people.
Already tried to remove it lol . . .damn hose clip things are impossible to get off

melficeapoll

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RN
When the temp was into the 30s 40s is emptying mine weekly. I took a trip up to New Hampshire for 2 weeks when it was dead winter and had to empty it every 4 days or so. Cold weather is the culprit. When it warms up, you'll empty it less often.

I empty mine out every other week and only catch about an oz of fluid. It's gotten around the high 50s low 70s in temp where I'm at.

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
Mine seems to fill up more when winter gas is what is in the pumps. Doesn't matter what type of fuel I run.

OP
OP
CarbonTremor

CarbonTremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When the temp was into the 30s 40s is emptying mine weekly. I took a trip up to New Hampshire for 2 weeks when it was dead winter and had to empty it every 4 days or so. Cold weather is the culprit. When it warms up, you'll empty it less often.

I empty mine out every other week and only catch about an oz of fluid. It's gotten around the high 50s low 70s in temp where I'm at.
Your is filling up with the same water / yoohoo looking fluid?

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
The condensation is only happening because of the catch can. It creates the problem, but it also solves the problem it creates (catches the condensation) so things could be worse I guess.

Mr.Scary

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger sport 4x4
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Lol, I don't. I'm by the shore, I did read that in the cold weather our trucks produce alot of condensation that the catch can traps. . This just seems ridiculous & not into emptying it every week
i have the same can. And yes it fills up with condensation a lot in the cold weather. I live in Ontario Canada and in the winter I have to empty it every 2 to 3 days.
In the some I can go for a few weeks before emptying.

i personally think the 3 once can is a little small should have been a 5 once in my opinion

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
You think these problems are bad? I hope you don't end up with hoses like mine that are cracked and split from top to bottom in less than a year and need to be replaced. Mishimoto did offer to replace the hoses but the install was brutal and if I do that job again it's to revert to stock, and then I will keep a clean air filter and stay on top of oil changes etc. and hope for the best.

OP
OP
CarbonTremor

CarbonTremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok catch can is coming out. Not dealing with the smell or emptying it weekly. Does anyone remember how to release the mishimoto connections? Do they pull away from the connector ?

OP
OP
CarbonTremor

CarbonTremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Catch can is out and already seems like the smell is gone. It was permeating through the rubber hoses, ptfe would be a nice upgrade.. . Mishimito was not too helpful, the connector shown on their web site is not what's on my hoses. They did offer to replace the hoses though.

CHS

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Ruby) 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat 4X4
Occupation
retired
I installed the Mishimoto roughly 8 months ago. Since then i had maybe 1/4 inch of liquid. Since then it is empty. Nothing ever in it. Yes, I checked to make sure hoses are correctly installed. I do pickup slowly. Drive highway (70-80 mph) and casually drive side roads. Live in Tennessee but am in Maine for a few months now.
I have the accessory hose installed to empty it also.
Sponsored