Catch can in northern climates

2000rpm

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger, 2019 Ford Flex
I installed a UPR catch can during the summer. During the first 2 months only accumulated maybe 1/2 tsp of oil. Now that the weather is cold (MN), I'm accumulating 1/2 a can a month of oily water mixture every month. I'm assuming it is mainly water condensation (I tried to light it but can't get it to burn so probably not fuel).

Are others in a cold climate noticing the same (much more condensation in cold weather)?
Sponsored

RangerMerp

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
How long is your commute? I could see shorter commutes resulting in a lot of water from blow-by condensing in the can. Burning gas does create a lot of water, so blow-by gasses would naturally have a fairly high water content. My theory would be that the water vapour wouldn't condense once everything got up to temperature under the hood. Instead, it would be pulled through the can and run through the intake as normal.

Can you separate the oil-water mixture from the can? It should separate on its own, given enough time. I'm interested to know whether you catch more actual oil in cold weather.

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
It’s mostly condensation. I check mine every fill up in the winter time, and typically end up emptying it, since it’s 1/3-1/2 full. It’s very normal in cold temps, up here it’s usually -20C to -30C. Once it warms up in the spring and summer, I can go 6 months without emptying the catch can.
Whenever I drive the vehicle, it’s typically 20-30 minutes of straight highway driving before I get into the city, so they aren’t short commutes.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
It’s mostly condensation. I check mine every fill up in the winter time, and typically end up emptying it, since it’s 1/3-1/2 full. It’s very normal in cold temps, up here it’s usually -20C to -30C. Once it warms up in the spring and summer, I can go 6 months without emptying the catch can.
Whenever I drive the vehicle, it’s typically 20-30 minutes of straight highway driving before I get into the city, so they aren’t short commutes.
You empty the catch can when you put gas in your truck... Question.. Where are you dumping it?

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
I installed a UPR catch can during the summer. During the first 2 months only accumulated maybe 1/2 tsp of oil. Now that the weather is cold (MN), I'm accumulating 1/2 a can a month of oily water mixture every month. I'm assuming it is mainly water condensation (I tried to light it but can't get it to burn so probably not fuel).

Are others in a cold climate noticing the same (much more condensation in cold weather)?
I am noticing more condensation in my catch can in South Kalifornikstan even!

OP
OP
2000rpm

2000rpm

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger, 2019 Ford Flex
Thanks for the replys. Sounds normal then.

The UPR catch can is mounted pretty far forward and doesn’t get very warm, especially when driving. I suspect that adds to the condensation.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
Yeah, I posted this in the large catch can thread. When these cans are mounted far away from the engine they will collect a lot more water than oil. This is especially true for the Ranger with such a large engine compartment and a 4 cyl. engine that will take a while to heat up that compartment (and can).
Sponsored