MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I find it easier to fill it with a half tank left. Call me old school, but it was ingrained in me by my Dad to always have gas in it incase of an emergency.
Absolutely. Once I get half way down, I start planning to fill it up next time I go somewhere. I guess that makes me "Old School" as well, or maybe just "old."
Sponsored

JHC14

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Executive Pastor
My practice is to fill every other Friday (payday) wether it needs it or not. Sometimes I put 20-30 miles a week on it, so usually it doesn't need it, but I do it anyway. ?
I live .5 miles from the office. Sometimes it’s only 10 miles a week.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
The dealer wouldn’t fill it up for you?
Sure.. for $50. And they would have put 87 octane in it too. We run 91 min.

I didn't really care that it needed gas... but I thought running it down to "0 Miles Remaining" was telling in regard to how White's University Ford in Laramie Wyoming feels about it's customers.

Last edited:

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
2020-08-03 11-59-59.JPG

I alternate between towing a trailer and not, so I get some rather interesting and extreme estimations of miles to empty. With the trailer, it's not unusual to get the "50 Miles To Empty" alarm with over a quarter of a tank remaining. The algorithm they use to estimate remaining range is the most conservative I've encountered. It takes at least a tank before it lightens up and increases the estimated range.

OP
OP
Taykel

Taykel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Self Employed
The light doesn't come on at 1/4 tank, it comes on at 50 miles to empty. If it comes on at 1/4 tank then that's purely a coincidence, or you're really hammering on it.

The distance to empty is purely a guideline and reference, not an accurate number. I would use it only as a guideline, not a hardset cutoff. Another reason I recommend not going below 1/4 tank as often as you can help it.
No I have not been hammering in it. Truck rarely gets over 2800 rpms .it’s still rarely new it only has 1500 miles on it. Just seems odd for it to come on at a 1/4 tank . Calculations to me is off.

Deleted member 1634

No I have not been hammering in it. Truck rarely gets over 2800 rpms .it’s still rarely new it only has 1500 miles on it. Just seems odd for it to come on at a 1/4 tank . Calculations to me is off.
I've seen a few other people experience the same thing (50miles at a 1/4 tank mark) on here. Not sure what's going on there. But either way, the number is just a general reference, not something to be taken too seriously anyways. The gauge is more accurate. Or even just the miles driven with the mpg and a quick calculation.

If you really wanted to figure it out, you could grab a full gas can, and go for a drive to get below 0 miles DTE and see what happens and just how far it's off.

Deleted member 1634

2020-08-03 11-59-59.JPG

I alternate between towing a trailer and not, so I get some rather interesting and extreme estimations of miles to empty. With the trailer, it's not unusual to get the "50 Miles To Empty" alarm with over a quarter of a tank remaining. The algorithm they use to estimate remaining range is the most conservative I've encountered. It takes at least a tank before it lightens up and increases the estimated range.
Same. My mileage is all over the place with how different my driving types are. I've actually had the DTE be higher after 100 miles of driving than it was at the beginning of the tank (251 DTE at start of tank after pulling trailer, then 260 DTE after 100 miles of commute driving on that tank)! haha

OP
OP
Taykel

Taykel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Self Employed
I've seen a few other people experience the same thing (50miles at a 1/4 tank mark) on here. Not sure what's going on there. But either way, the number is just a general reference, not something to be taken too seriously anyways. The gauge is more accurate. Or even just the miles driven with the mpg and a quick calculation.

If you really wanted to figure it out, you could grab a full gas can, and go for a drive to get below 0 miles DTE and see what happens and just how far it's off.
Isn’t it bad to run new vehicles out of gas completely?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Isn’t it bad to run new vehicles out of gas completely?
It's bad to run any vehicle low as the fuel keeps the pump cooler. I'm guilty of doing it on occasion but try to fill up around 1/4 tank.

I have a friend who's so darn cheap he puts in $10.00 every other day. He's afraid if he gets in an accident and totals his car he'll lose out on the gas remaining in the tank. I wish I could say I was joking but I'm not. :crazy:

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
It's bad to run any vehicle low as the fuel keeps the pump cooler. I'm guilty of doing it on occasion but try to fill up around 1/4 tank.

I have a friend who's so darn cheap he puts in $10.00 every other day. He's afraid if he gets in an accident and totals his car he'll lose out on the gas remaining in the tank. I wish I could say I was joking but I'm not. :crazy:
If he gets in an accident and totals his car, he could lose a lot more than gas....

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
If he gets in an accident and totals his car, he could lose a lot more than gas....
I've had many a conversation with him and it falls on deaf ears.

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat 4X4
Occupation
Retired

Now I UNDERSTAND :LOL::LOL::LOL:
Sponsored