Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
D.D.S.
Vehicle Showcase
If I can find some info on the ARB locker I’d be all for it.
Here you go man! I've been considering adding a front locker too. Looks like we might have some choices here. There's ARB or Harrop.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andy

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
I’d really like an LSD so I don’t have to worry about breaking any axles. However, seeing as my local off road shop said the front differential on these is a new design (not sure about that) it might be a long time before anything like an LSD is available.

Mmmmmnachos

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I’d really like an LSD so I don’t have to worry about breaking any axles. However, seeing as my local off road shop said the front differential on these is a new design (not sure about that) it might be a long time before anything like an LSD is available.
I too would like to go with a LSD option. Hopefully there are options some time in the near future.

allcos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Scab 4X4 XLT
Occupation
Retired
Here you go man! I've been considering adding a front locker too. Looks like we might have some choices here. There's ARB or Harrop.
I’m curious about why a locker over a Torsen. My thoughts are needing air or having clutches over pure mechanical.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I’m curious about why a locker over a Torsen. My thoughts are needing air or having clutches over pure mechanical.
Because a torsen doesn't exist for the application?

allcos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Scab 4X4 XLT
Occupation
Retired
Because a torsen doesn't exist for the application?
That answers one question. How likely is Torsen to make one? What are the pros and cons of each?

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
That answers one question. How likely is Torsen to make one? What are the pros and cons of each?
and kind of LSD or mechanical locker is going to be inferior to a selectable locker in a couple ways.

mechanical lockers are not instantaneous, and usually require a bit of slipping before they lock. sometimes this won't matter, but sometimes it can cause a lot of trouble, and also is more prone to breaking stuff.

other types of LSD will apply power to both wheels until there's too much difference in grip, and then they will slip (this is how they let you turn). so if you lift a tire, you basically have an open diff again.

with selectable lockers, you choose when its locked and when its not. there is no slipping, and no 'wait time' for it to grip, and it will 100% never let a tire in the air spin by itself.

only advantage I can see for an LSD is for street driving in slippery conditions, or racing.

ARB has previously indicated the diff itself is the same as international models... I'm sure the casing is different but for aftermarket diffs that shouldn't matter.

also why do you think an lsd will make you not break axles?
unless you just mean because it will still allow your tires to spin in the air...

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
Bump, did anyone find more info about this?

I don't know enough about our M190, but Eaton lists the M190 39 spline as an option.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So far the obly option is a ARB locker up front

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Hey there,

I’m looking for any information someone might have on the possibility of changing out the front differentials internals to a limited slip design similar to the torsion diff found in the F150 Raptors.

I would think it’s possible to change the internals out but finding what would match up is the harder part.

Any info is welcome!
Torsen are the most clever diff ever designed...they shift torque to the wheel with the least resistance, opposite of traditional diffs...I don't understand why this isn't used both front and rear as standard...probably eliminate the need for lockers altogether? I use a Quaife Torsen diff in my Mini and are very popular in road racing...

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Torsen are the most clever diff ever designed...they shift torque to the wheel with the least resistance, opposite of traditional diffs...I don't understand why this isn't used both front and rear as standard...probably eliminate the need for lockers altogether? I use a Quaife Torsen diff in my Mini and are very popular in road racing...

As nice as a Torsen diff is they're kind of useless off-road if you have both front and rear. The issue comes down to heavy off-road. Mild isn't as bad

Shaun Harlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zr2 Colorado
So far the obly option is a ARB locker up front
No, that's not correct. Harrop has a front e-locker that fits. I have one, rtr has at least one and I think there are a few others out there.

The px3 ranger has the same diff as the US spec rangers

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
No, that's not correct. Harrop has a front e-locker that fits. I have one, rtr has at least one and I think there are a few others out there.

The px3 ranger has the same diff as the US spec rangers
Regardless its still a locker and not a limited slip
Sponsored