First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
NC National Guard
I have a 2019 lariat with 2 wd. It came with electronic Locking diff but not with anything else the fx2 is equipped with. Can anyone tell me what exactly my capabilities are with this? I know I can't off road with it, but as far as snow or getting stuck on soft ground type scenario. Thanks.
Sponsored

JeffM

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
A 2wd with locking rear diff is about as capable as a 4wd without lockers, assuming you have good offroad tires. I'm coming from a 2005 Land Rover LR3, it didn't have lockers but did have excellent electronic traction control.

Andrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport
A 2wd with locking rear diff is about as capable as a 4wd without lockers, assuming you have good offroad tires. I'm coming from a 2005 Land Rover LR3, it didn't have lockers but did have excellent electronic traction control.
I wouldn’t go that far ha ha.

DauphDaddy

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I have a 2019 lariat with 2 wd. It came with electronic Locking diff but not with anything else the fx2 is equipped with. Can anyone tell me what exactly my capabilities are with this? I know I can't off road with it, but as far as snow or getting stuck on soft ground type scenario. Thanks.
IMO you'd be fine going on a fire road/ soft-core roading. I would definitely stay away from mud, sand and wet river bed type terrain. I'd carry a pair of chains with you for the rear tires and other recovery gear. Just don't get in a situation where you lose contact with the road surface and you'll be fine (for the most part.) Good tires always helps and never do anything questionable without another vehicle with you!

Deleted member 1634

IMO you'd be fine going on a fire road/ soft-core roading. I would definitely stay away from mud, sand and wet river bed type terrain. I'd carry a pair of chains with you for the rear tires and other recovery gear. Just don't get in a situation where you lose contact with the road surface and you'll be fine (for the most part.) Good tires always helps and never do anything questionable without another vehicle with you!
These are all good points and advice for anyone going off-road, regardless of vehicle capability.

As far as OP's winter questioning, it depends what kind of snow/winter conditions you expect to experience. I don't see a location on your profile, so it's hard to say what you may experience. But here in the Great Lakes region, Minnesota specifically but we travel around a lot even during the winter, I hardly ever use 4WD. If you're capable enough as a driver and have sufficient experience in winter driving like most around here, the mountains, and the Northeast, then 2WD should get you by in 90% of situations. More if you're in a place where winter doesn't really happen. Also, as everyone has and will tell you, good tires are a huge plus as well. A good set of winter tires and weight in the back will make this thing as good if not better than a stock 4WD.

OP
OP
Bproctor

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
NC National Guard
Thank you all. I'm in NC and the winters aren't that bad. I've been through some pretty decent snows for here in a pinto(long time ago), mustang, and various other cars without ending up anywhere I wasn't able to get out of. Had a couple rangers before, but don't remember driving them in anything more than rain.

Appreciate you guys taking the time to respond.
Sponsored