Free Sync 3 Navigation Map Updates (NA 1 18)

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I received that email after downloading the Update. Checked to name of the License File they reference and I had actually gotten the CORRECT License file from the Download the first time! My system actually recognizes the date when I insert the Thumb Drive, I get all the Update Prompts and when it gets to "Installing System Update" it stops doing anything! So, no errors, no rejection of the Update file, just never completes updating. No restarts, no nothing!

If you have the same problem with the $40 USB, then you should be getting another one soon.

I received an email from them. Read below.

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for placing your recent SYNC® 3 Navigation Map Update order! We know you are excited to install the new 2020 Navigation Map Update and begin enjoying all the new features. Unfortunately, your order was identified as receiving the old license file as part of the new update. As a result we are providing a simple solution for you to receive the new license file:

1) If you placed an order on the website to Download the latest 2020 Navigation Map Update, please do the following:

1. Close any old browser pages (Internet Explorer, Google, etc.) you may have open from the previous Download/Order Complete page
  2. Return to your Order Complete page (the link is available in the Order Confirmation email you received after you placed the order to download the 2020 Navigation Map Update)
  3. Once you are on your Order Complete page, you have two options:

• OPTION 1 - Perform the original download again using the instructions in the #1 Orange box)
  1. Download the Map and License files from the #2 and #3 Orange boxes
  2. Follow the original instructions you used for your previous order
  • OPTION 2 – Download the new License file only and update your current USB
  1. Click on the #3 Orange Download License file box to download the 2020 Navigation Map Update file
  2. Insert your USB into the computer
  3. Find the SyncMyRide directory and double-click on the folder
  4. Find the old license file, which will be named either JR3T-14G424-CD or 4U5T-14G424-CB and delete it from the SyncMyRide folder
  5. Add the new downloaded license file, which will be named either JR3T-14G424-CE or 4U5T-14G424-CC, to the SyncMyRide folder

2) If you placed an order on the website for a Pre-loaded USB with the latest 2020 Navigation Map Update installed, you will receive a new USB in the mail soon. Once you receive the new USB, follow the instructions provided for installation.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for being a loyal Ford or Lincoln customer.

Best Regards,

The Customer Service Team
S.gif
Sponsored

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge ST, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Highly likely it did. v3.3 has a bug where the nav data version string isn't updating.
I guess that explains why I didn't see any changes after the update.

I'll wait for the official update to v3.4.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
No restarts. Thumb drive is fine. It gets past all prompts to Installing System Update and nothing happens from there!
Does your drive have an activity indication light to see if it's actually pulling the packages down?

bkosh84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Construction Supervisor
Understood. That's an odd error for a map update which is why I asked for the other info.

Looks OK. Not familiar with the error message. Do you have another drive you can try it out with?
Update to this. It was the size of the drive. There must have not been enough room for Sync3 to move files around. It worked after I used a 32GB drive and it worked fine.

Lone Ranger

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew, 2019 Ford Flex
I wish you luck Larry. As an aside my USB was quick formatted and at 32KB unit allocation size. I don't know that that would make a difference. I've attached images of the USB file structure on my stick. If the system update does not stay on and if the USB led doesn't flash you can stop right away, it did not work. That would only take a minute or so.

As an aside, I jumped into the Cyanlabs tool yesterday. I said I was going to wait until official 3.4 release but had a moment of patience weakness. Personally, I am very well versed with software and imaging. The Cyanlab tool worked very well. I'll give this a couple of days to look for issues and then drop some coin to them. 38 minute flash to go to 3.4, navigation checked, maps 19.1 and all the versioning is now correct. I suspect this will be easier than the official release from Ford because Cyanlabs has put effort to understand the installation process and common pitfalls.

USB root.jpg

usb sync folder.jpg
Thank you for the file snap shot. I re-formatted my USB drive and the same thing happened with the Update message disappearing. Not wanting to wait for another hour, I started with a fresh our of the wrapper USB drive. Re-installed the map update and took it to the Ranger. This time, the message to asking if I wanted to update with the warning message did not appear. But the message on top of the screen stayed up so I went for an hour's drive. The system flashed for me to remove the USB after 50 minutes or so. Then it rebooted. After the Re-boot, it warned me that it was doing an update and then continued to do an update for another 40 minutes. After 40 minutes, the message to remove the USB drive appeared and this time I removed the drive. Then, I pulled over, and shut off the engine, opened the door and re-started the engine. No noticeable changes to the version numbers. NA 1 18 stayed.

You are brave with Cyanlabs. You are really tempting me because I have been wanting to update to 3.4. Since I did the update to 3.3, there are times the Synch locks up and I have had to re-boot the system by removing fuse from the dashboard. Without doing so, the Sync Screen stays on. Version 3.3 has been slower to respond to touch inputs than the original factory load. I have been waiting for 3.4 in the hopes to get better responsiveness back. Please let us know how 3.4 goes if you decide to actually do the load.

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
Thank you for the file snap shot. I re-formatted my USB drive and the same thing happened with the Update message disappearing. Not wanting to wait for another hour, I started with a fresh our of the wrapper USB drive. Re-installed the map update and took it to the Ranger. This time, the message to asking if I wanted to update with the warning message did not appear. But the message on top of the screen stayed up so I went for an hour's drive. The system flashed for me to remove the USB after 50 minutes or so. Then it rebooted. After the Re-boot, it warned me that it was doing an update and then continued to do an update for another 40 minutes. After 40 minutes, the message to remove the USB drive appeared and this time I removed the drive. Then, I pulled over, and shut off the engine, opened the door and re-started the engine. No noticeable changes to the version numbers. NA 1 18 stayed.

You are brave with Cyanlabs. You are really tempting me because I have been wanting to update to 3.4. Since I did the update to 3.3, there are times the Synch locks up and I have had to re-boot the system by removing fuse from the dashboard. Without doing so, the Sync Screen stays on. Version 3.3 has been slower to respond to touch inputs than the original factory load. I have been waiting for 3.4 in the hopes to get better responsiveness back. Please let us know how 3.4 goes if you decide to actually do the load.
I'm glad it worked. With 3.3 I had voice navigation lag but none of the other symptoms you described and the base installation took under an hour, not ~90 minutes.

Cyanlabs worked for me, very well. My thought process was just to see what the Cyanlabs build process. on the PC, was initially. On the first PC attempt I started it and walked away then returned several hours later. Looking at the drive afterwards it was empty. I did it a second time, this time watching the drive led and it built successfully.

The actual installation in the truck went very well. I was surprised when it reformatted sync 3 and when I saw the images of the mustang and raptor rotate during install. I was committed at this point so I let it go and it worked as advertised.

My thought process was if it bombs I have the skillset and determination to recover. I don't know what the steps would be but was confident I could figure it out. Secondly, 3.4 official is supposedly due out this month and that would be an option. Third, with covid and not driving as much it would not be a big deal in case things went hard south,

So I had the built Cyanlabs disk in hand and the wife told me she was going to be involved in something for 2 hours. I did a WTH and got in the truck to get a coffee. Turned off auto off features, inserted drive into primary port and took off. Install took off and ~38 minutes later finished. 3.4 is clearly better.

So it is a risk/reward you have to assess. I found Cyanlabs to be easy to use.

Good luck with whatever approach you take.

d_ganggreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I spoke too soon. Just noticed that I do NOT have my climate control on my Ranger anymore. I will have to look through and see if I can add it back somehow.

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
I spoke too soon. Just noticed that I do NOT have my climate control on my Ranger anymore. I will have to look through and see if I can add it back somehow.
Me too, I just looked. Function buttons work on the bezel but no option for climate on the touchscreen display. Not a biggie for me at this moment. I will likely wait for official release and redo as opposed to forscan effort.

d_ganggreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I will have to wait as well...hopefully a "regular" install will bring it back. I don't have any forscan tools and am not familiar with it at all.

JetEngr19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Jeep Wranger
Does your drive have an activity indication light to see if it's actually pulling the packages down?
Mine seems to have not loaded my voice stuff like it did when I did the previous year map update. I am unable to use voice for entering navigation. Do you have a tip for getting the voice files installed?

6C4C6E68-AE02-4E54-92CD-866763A476C2.jpeg

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine seems to have not loaded my voice stuff like it did when I did the previous year map update. I am unable to use voice for entering navigation. Do you have a tip for getting the voice files installed?
That's odd. It should've deleted that file before it even ran the map update. In any case, since there is already data there you'll need to replace that file alone. What you can do is edit the autoinstall.lst so that it installs only the 14G422-CAF pack. That's the U.S. English pack. If you want the Mexican Spanish or Canadian French as well, repeat the process for those. Make sense?

JetEngr19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Jeep Wranger
That's odd. It should've deleted that file before it even ran the map update. In any case, since there is already data there you'll need to replace that file alone. What you can do is edit the autoinstall.lst so that it installs only the 14G422-CAF pack. That's the U.S. English pack. If you want the Mexican Spanish or Canadian French as well, repeat the process for those. Make sense?
Will this work? I don't really need the Mexican Spanish or Canadian French.

[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
Item1 = 4U5T-14G422-CAF
Open1 = SyncMyRide\4U5T-14G422-CAF.tar.gz
Options = Autoinstall

MINI Ranger

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2014 MINI Cooper S Clubman
Occupation
ASE Master Technician, MINI Technician, Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So I have attempted to download maps three times using 2 different thumb drives and get same error message after about 5 minutes into update process. PKG_ERR03 Any ideas?

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I have attempted to download maps three times using 2 different thumb drives and get same error message after about 5 minutes into update process. PKG_ERR03 Any ideas?
Have you tried full reformat of the drives? Somewhere a package is getting corrupted it would appear.
Sponsored