Free Sync 3 Navigation Map Updates (NA 1 18)

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Thanks. I'm doing that now. Just wish the Customer Support Rep knew that. Save me a bunch of time and frustration
but that's how they make their money! (there's absolutely no other reason to not let you repeat the process.)
Sponsored

Nipperchipper

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat
Occupation
Retired
Hey Guys,

While looking at the 'about sync' page in my Ranger, I noticed I was on map version 'NA117' and I know a 'NA118' is available. A quick search for 'sync map update' brought me to an official Ford Navigation Map update page here https://syncnavigation.com/ford/home. I put in my Ranger's VIN and Sync ESN and voila - a free map update is available!

You can find your Sync ESN at the bottom of the 'About Sync' page:

esn-location.png

Place your order for the 'free download' and grab a 32gb (USB 3.0 fast read/write preferably) thumb drive and format it exFAT. Follow the instructions to create your own update thumb drive and about an hour later you'll be on NA 1 18! Install speed depends on the speeds of the thumb drive so if you have a slow one be prepared to take a drive while this is installing.

The root of your thumb drive should look like this:
qTPcV7r.png

And the SyncMyRide folder should look like this:
8oeNemp.png

Update warning 1:
zVEve91.jpg

Update warning 2:
4Hj4Ni6.jpg

Here's my before:
uQpIDj7.jpg

And after:
S3zu6Hd.jpg

Good luck and happy updating!

EDIT: This will also work for any other 2018 and newer Fords that are still on '17 maps. Doing the wife's '18 Edge next!
Thank you for the tip. I did mine yesterday it went to version NA119 Took about an hour and a half to do the update

rpeterson53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2019 Mazda MX-5 RF, 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Thank you for the tip. I did mine yesterday it went to version NA119 Took about an hour and a half to do the update
I updated my map version NA119 several days ago on a road trip. Took close to 2 hours before I got the message ok to remove the thumb drive. What actually needs to be done is NOT reflected in the install instructions on the web site. I did wait for 2 Synch restarts per the install instructions but wasn’t sure it was done installing which it wasn’t. Just glad it was a long road trip !

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Hey Guys,

While looking at the 'about sync' page in my Ranger, I noticed I was on map version 'NA117' and I know a 'NA118' is available. A quick search for 'sync map update' brought me to an official Ford Navigation Map update page here https://syncnavigation.com/ford/home. I put in my Ranger's VIN and Sync ESN and voila - a free map update is available!

You can find your Sync ESN at the bottom of the 'About Sync' page:

esn-location.png

Place your order for the 'free download' and grab a 32gb (USB 3.0 fast read/write preferably) thumb drive and format it exFAT. Follow the instructions to create your own update thumb drive and about an hour later you'll be on NA 1 18! Install speed depends on the speeds of the thumb drive so if you have a slow one be prepared to take a drive while this is installing.

The root of your thumb drive should look like this:
qTPcV7r.png

And the SyncMyRide folder should look like this:
8oeNemp.png

Update warning 1:
zVEve91.jpg

Update warning 2:
4Hj4Ni6.jpg

Here's my before:
uQpIDj7.jpg

And after:
S3zu6Hd.jpg

Good luck and happy updating!

EDIT: This will also work for any other 2018 and newer Fords that are still on '17 maps. Doing the wife's '18 Edge next!
I tried to update my maps yesterday to no avail. I was able to download the files and it went through the steps, prompts as shown here. I even got the last message that says update complete, remove usb drive. That said, I still show NA 117 maps. I show 1.1.1.1332 for Gracenote.

I cannot see that it updated anything. I also noticed there was no log file on the usb to confirm the update worked.

I went back to try again to download the files, and now it won't let me. It just says I'm update to date. It only offers that I can buy a flash drive with the same files on it, which I do not need.

I also noticed that the file I downloaded was name this, 19Q1_NA_Post-3.2_2ndRelease. I'm on Sync 3.3, so weird how they are naming the files 3.2

Any ideas?

Update: I was able to download the files again, but they are exactly the same as before, so that isn't the issue. I'll try updating again.

Does anyone know if Sync 3.4 is required to update the maps beyond NA 117?

When will my 2019 Ranger get the 3.4 Sync update? right now it says I'm up to date with 3.3 19052

Last edited:

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
I tried to update my maps yesterday to no avail. I was able to download the files and it went through the steps, prompts as shown here. I even got the last message that says update complete, remove usb drive. That said, I still show NA 117 maps. I show 1.1.1.1332 for Gracenote.

I cannot see that it updated anything. I also noticed there was no log file on the usb to confirm the update worked.

I went back to try again to download the files, and now it won't let me. It just says I'm update to date. It only offers that I can buy a flash drive with the same files on it, which I do not need.

I also noticed that the file I downloaded was name this, 19Q1_NA_Post-3.2_2ndRelease. I'm on Sync 3.3, so weird how they are naming the files 3.2

Any ideas?
Mine didn't show the update until the next day.

Download again from the link in your original email.

Others have reported not finding an XML log file, including myself.

UofMEngineer mentioned 32 3.2 refer to our hardware version.
Sync32 is reference to the hardware rev, 3.2. Normal for MY19+.
LINK

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
ok, thanks. I will try the update again. That's interesting that your map update didn't show until the next day.

So do you have a NA truck and is your current version 3.3 19052? And your truck shows map NA 118 or were you able to get NA 119?

Any idea when we get Sync 3.4 update?

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
ok, thanks. I will try the update again. That's interesting that your map update didn't show until the next day.

So do you have a NA truck and is your current version 3.3 19052? And your truck shows map NA 118 or were you able to get NA 119?

They can all update the map, but the version string on screen won't update unless it's installed on v3.4. That's a bug in v3.3. If you update in v3.3., it'll be wrong still when you update to v3.4. The v3.4 update should hopefully be available in September again for MY19 Rangers.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wanderer

I have a NA 2020 built in June. Delivered with SYNC 3.4, but not sure if 3.4 came from the factory or dealer updated.

Delivered with NA 118. I updated to NA 119 on July 26.

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Oh, that helps a lot. So perhaps my update did work, but it won't show the new map version until I update to Sync 3.4. So even though my naps show NA 117, I might have 118 or 119 I guess.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wanderer
They can all update the map, but the version string on screen won't update unless it's installed on v3.4. That's a bug in v3.3. If you update in v3.3., it'll be wrong still when you update to v3.4. The v3.4 update should hopefully be available in September again for MY19 Rangers.
Ah, I recall this was posted earlier.

How can MY19 owners determine which map version they have ?

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
Ah, I recall this was posted earlier.

How can MY19 owners determine which map version they have ?
If you've run a map update, and it all works, you're likely on that version. You can look up the packages installed in the diag screen to check if it's the expected ones.

Dan Keil

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
Walmart Associate
I have the download one thumb drive. I put it in the truck and it is not recognized

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I have the download one thumb drive. I put it in the truck and it is not recognized
I used the left USB port in the dash center console. The right port would not detect it. Also the instructions say to have only the usb drive plugged in, so remove anything else from other ports.

Dan Keil

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
Walmart Associate
My truck can't see it, it knows the stick is in, but that is it. I still have 3.3 sync

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
If you are using the left side usb port (closest to the driver) in the dash and it does not detect the update, I would double check that you have created the flash drive correctly. Don't forget to unplug everything else so the other usb ports are empty. The first post in this thread has screenshots and your file structure needs to match. Make sure you format the drive with exFAT and don't forget to copy the license file to the SyncMyRide directory. I've attached the instructions I used from Ford's website
Sponsored

Attachments