Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Geologist
Hi All,

I bought my truck in may and have been loving it, except for a squeaky front brake (dealer should fix for free later this week). Over the weekend I drove up to my in-laws (6 hours in 100 f heat) and when I arrived I got a driveline warning. Restarted the truck and it seemed to have fixed it self.
anyways I crawled under to check the drive shaft etc and I noticed some rust on the drivers side frame weld. The truck has about 6000 miles on it and hasn’t been driven anywhere but in California. So no salt or humidity issues.
Attached is a pic of the weld. Does this look concerning? I’ve never seen rust on a weld like this on a vehicle so new.

22C265E9-033B-41BE-8F0C-BFB0B374B896.jpeg

5E1D400C-0B45-409A-9B70-49233022A46A.jpeg
Sponsored

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Annoying but not concerning. Wire brush it off and hit it with some quality rattle can paint. Not a big deal.

OP
OP
Prunecandy

Prunecandy

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Geologist
I'd be concerned
Yeah I’m definitely going to bring it up with my dealer. It’s only on the drivers side. The passenger looks good as new.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Concerns me too. If you lived in the rust belt I could understand but you're in California.

There is a corrosion warranty but is states "perforation" so I am not too sure how that will go down. Never hurts to try.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
they are disposable now, one more reason why I will trade at whatever point im at 50-55k miles. Some years ago Jeep did a 7-way galvi-dip on the vehicles. once that ended they rust just as quick as the rest of the makes. Our 4 year hold escape started rusting from the inside out and the perforation warranty coverage is b.s. I push pretty hard and in the end we just traded if off b/c covid I was able to get good dollars on an otherwise un-desirable trade vehicle.

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
This is more reassurance for my decision to take my Ranger to a Krown dealer for their rust preventative service as soon as possible after it was delivered to my dealer. I will be having it re-treated annually.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
This is more reassurance for my decision to take my Ranger to a Krown dealer for their rust preventative service as soon as possible after it was delivered to my dealer. I will be having it re-treated annually.
I've been thinking about doing the same, what is Krown like? There is a place in Maine that my cousin uses, they'll cover any rust repair for the lifetime as long as you get their treatment every year.

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
They use a high pressure/high temperature oil fog/spray that creeps onto the gaps.
They treat all the hollow body panels as well as the undercarriage.
It drips pretty bad for a few days after, and after that it seeps out a bit on hot days. When working on the underside of the truck afterward it is a bit messy, but Rust-Free!

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
during an oil change I noticed a little on the cross member where the skid plate bolts on. It was just barely starting. I sanded it an hit it with a spray can. It is disappointing on a new truck to see this an it seems a lot less than what you saw. I had a 93 ranger when I was in San Diego in the 90's. I did a six month deployment an when I came back there was a lot of surface rust on the chrome wheels from the salt air. I stored it at Imperial Beach.

OP
OP
Prunecandy

Prunecandy

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Geologist
says your from costa mesa???
saltwater air can affect corrosion 50 miles inland.
I must be confused why california seems to be immune in some peoples eyes...

1598926990795.png
Yeah I agree with you that the salt (I’m east of the 405 freeway) in the air can be an issue, however my issue isn’t widespread as it would be expected. My last vehicle (wrangler) had wide spread almost even oxidation, however nothing that cut this deep or isolated.
This is just one spot that appears to have slipped past QC. The flaking of this one weld is what concerns me. I bought the truck new in May so I am going to be concerned haha.

Dmc

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Retired
Hi All,

I bought my truck in may and have been loving it, except for a squeaky front brake (dealer should fix for free later this week). Over the weekend I drove up to my in-laws (6 hours in 100 f heat) and when I arrived I got a driveline warning. Restarted the truck and it seemed to have fixed it self.
anyways I crawled under to check the drive shaft etc and I noticed some rust on the drivers side frame weld. The truck has about 6000 miles on it and hasn’t been driven anywhere but in California. So no salt or humidity issues.
Attached is a pic of the weld. Does this look concerning? I’ve never seen rust on a weld like this on a vehicle so new.

22C265E9-033B-41BE-8F0C-BFB0B374B896.jpeg

5E1D400C-0B45-409A-9B70-49233022A46A.jpeg

Dmc

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Retired
Here is my 2020 with only 3400 miles sad going to see what dealer says . Probably will go lemon law on it

20210210_150817.jpg

20210210_150751.jpg

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Here is my 2020 with only 3400 miles sad going to see what dealer says . Probably will go lemon law on it
Lemon Law? For surface rust? Is that even a thing?

Dmc

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Retired
Lemon Law? For surface rust? Is that even a thing?
Well if something is under warranty and if ford won't correct it .that is considered not honoring the warranty placed . In the end they will be forced to buy it back . I had a ram that had a drivabilty issue and they didn't want to try to fix it because they had other trucks with same problem that they were throwing parts at . I called lemon law lawer and with in a day ram called me and said bring the truck to the dealer and they would match sticker for sticker. The rust on a painted part on a vehicle with less then 12 month and only 3300 miles worth be considered a defective product. So we will see
Sponsored