Pinch Weld Paint Globs

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Hey all, I took delivery of my ranger in early may, I love it. My only problem I have is the pinch welds of the truck have paint that is just globbed on. I'm gonna include some pictures. I mentioned it to the sales guy upon pickup, and he said it was no big deal. I knew it would cause problems but I didn't wanna wait anymore for the truck. Well the globs have been falling off, leaving bare metal exposed. Some fall off during when I washed the truck, some during driving during heavy rain, some when I just run my hand on it to see if it's gotten worse. It has gotten worse, I picked some of it off to show the dealership, which is where I'm going tomorrow. If this was a lease car I wouldn't care so much, but I bought it. It's just asking for rust to form, and I plan on running this for at least 10 years. I was wondering if any of you had any issues, may seem like I'm being nitpicky, but it's a lot of money to spend to have bare metal and bad looking paint globs. Also my rocker panels do have holes that are not plugged on the bottom and inner side of each one. Gonna ask about that as well. Any advice would be appreciated.

PXL_20210723_004841557.jpg

PXL_20210723_004748717.jpg

PXL_20210722_224752943.jpg
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Wow that's definitely not normal and your dealer should take care of this for you. If they don't I would try going to another dealer as it's under warranty.

As far as the holes there was a whole thread on that which looks like the newer ones are coming in unplugged. I'll try and find the link and add it as some have bought their own plugs for them.

Here's the thread all about the rocker panel holes.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/holes-in-your-ranger-rocker-panels.14055/

OP
OP
Trustable

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Wow that's definitely not normal and your dealer should take care of this for you. If they don't I would try going to another dealer as it's under warranty.

As far as the holes there was a whole thread on that which looks like the newer ones are coming in unplugged. I'll try and find the link and add it as some have bought their own plugs for them.

Here's the thread all about the rocker panel holes.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/holes-in-your-ranger-rocker-panels.14055/
Thank you! They want me to come in first to get some pictures to see if it's under warranty, but I'm assuming if they say it's not I can escalate it. Hopefully they don't have to disassemble anything to do a sand and respray, don't wanna take off my mud flaps, and I know if they do multiple parts will magically go missing. Good to know about the holes as well, gonna spray em out then when I woolwax the underside I'll put some in there as well. I'll update tommorow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trustable

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Save those pieces they really show how bad it was. Definitely needs a do over.
Absolutely, I'm bringing them to show the body shop but I'm keeping them Incase I have to escalate it, not sure how or who I would go to to do that but I'll figure that out when it comes to it. Rest of the paint is great on the truck thankfully. I know ford paint isn't looked highly upon compared to other manufacturers for quality or longevity so I really wanna be proactive on this. Gonna head up there tommorow during my lunch and see what they have to say.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Absolutely, I'm bringing them to show the body shop but I'm keeping them Incase I have to escalate it, not sure how or who I would go to to do that but I'll figure that out when it comes to it. Rest of the paint is great on the truck thankfully. I know ford paint isn't looked highly upon compared to other manufacturers for quality or longevity so I really wanna be proactive on this. Gonna head up there tommorow during my lunch and see what they have to say.
If they give you a hard time you can call Ford corporate and open up a ticket with them.

https://corporate.ford.com/contact.html

Hours: Monday-Friday: 8:00am-8:00pm EST

Phone: +1-800-392-3673

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Thank you! They want me to come in first to get some pictures to see if it's under warranty, but I'm assuming if they say it's not I can escalate it. Hopefully they don't have to disassemble anything to do a sand and respray, don't wanna take off my mud flaps, and I know if they do multiple parts will magically go missing. Good to know about the holes as well, gonna spray em out then when I woolwax the underside I'll put some in there as well. I'll update tommorow.

Take multiple pictures of the items such as the mudflaps etc. prior to taking it in. Such as the day you drop it off at the dealership. Be sure to date them so if anything is missing you can prove that they were on the truck when it was dropped off and the dealer will need to replace them.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Trustable

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Take multiple pictures of the items such as the mudflaps etc. prior to taking it in. Such as the day you drop it off at the dealership. Be sure to date them so if anything is missing you can prove that they were on the truck when it was dropped off and the dealer will need to replace them.
Thanks will be doing that now!

OP
OP
Trustable

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Paint it black, it looks way better anyway. Realistically I doubt you'll get any truly useful resolution from your dealer. They might use some touch up paint on it to make you go away.
Yes that's what I'm worried about. I'm gonna ask if they will sand it/strip it and then paint it. That black does look good though, I will keep that in mind.

OP
OP
Trustable

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Just got back from the body shop at the dealer. He said he's never seen pinch welds like that. Said it's ridiculous with how new it is as well. While he was taking a bunch of pics he was telling me he has a maverick on order and will be trading in his manual transmission 2wd v6 2010 ranger which gets 13 mpg average. He was telling me the maverick is a bit smaller than his current ranger but barely, thought that was interesting. Anyways, he's gonna call me with whatever ford says.

OP
OP
Trustable

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Wow okay, so it's under warranty but they are gonna have to take off all the doors, and the bed and refinish/repaint the pinch welds and lower door frame area. I'm gonna leave the mudflaps and bed cover on and just take a ton of pictures before I drop it off. A little nervous that it won't get put back together right and won't be the same to be honest. Might be looking into alternatives to fix this.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Sounds like it's time for some sandpaper and a good coat of brush on bed coating, which I believe is available in colors.
Was going to have my rockers/pinch welds sprayed with bed liner when I got my bed done, but with a $400 estimate, passed. Been thinking of just doing it myself with some brush on in black.
No way would I let the doors, bed ect be removed for such a simple repair. Personally, a roll of painters paper, tape to mask it off, and a supply of cheap throw away brushes would be my go to.
But, thats just me...you must do whatever your comfortable with. If longevity and future warranty is on your mind, maybe best to have dealer repair.

OP
OP
Trustable

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Sounds like it's time for some sandpaper and a good coat of brush on bed coating, which I believe is available in colors.
Was going to have my rockers/pinch welds sprayed with bed liner when I got my bed done, but with a $400 estimate, passed. Been thinking of just doing it myself with some brush on in black.
No way would I let the doors, bed ect be removed for such a simple repair.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm gonna get under it in a bit and take a look. If I didn't wanna do bedliner do you think any automotive paint would work? I'm worried with bedliner something would get under it then it would rust from the inside.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm gonna get under it in a bit and take a look. If I didn't wanna do bedliner do you think automotive paint would work?
Don't see why it wouldn't...you can go to any quality automotive paint supply with your paint code and they can zip you out a spray can of paint to match yours...runs about $20-$25 .
Just make sure to prep the area before paint...it is in an area that won't get a lot of "looking at" but still needs to be sanded down on the edge, cleaned, primed, and painted.
I'm going the bedliner route for the rock chip protection.
And yes, my 2021 has the same "gob's" on the pinch welds. Think it's just a result of the thin water based paint being used today...dosen't set up and "skin" as fast as the enamels/lacquers did.
Sponsored

Last edited: