Rust

jzinckgra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Is this normal amount of rust for one month old truck? I know the parts are steel so prone to rust, but this soon?

PXL_20210310_220916030.jpg

PXL_20210310_220909079.jpg
Sponsored

Wasatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Supercab
Looks like most (if not all) 2019 and 2020 CV axles were not coated. mine have surface rust on them too. I don't think it's a problem.

A quick fix could be a quick touchup with Rustoleum flat black paint.

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
I don't see anything in that picture that would affect the life of the truck. I personally put several new vehicles on jack stands and crawled under it to spray clear on some exposed metal parts for appearance only and to satisfy my anal self. This is not something that is unique to only Ford. Just my opinion.....

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Mine has 100 miles on it and the top of the spindle and spindle bolts are already completely orange as well. Will hittem with a brush and coat them when I do the suspension just because. It's disappointing but don't think it's a huge deal. If it becomes an issue, I suspect a recall or class action is likely given what Toyota went through a while back.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
If you want to slow rust down use a citrus based wash. Spray it on and let sit for 10 to 15 mins and rinse off. Diluted naval jelly does it too. It passivate bare metal and slows the oxidation process. As Mikey said, try it you’ll like it! ?

OP
OP

jzinckgra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Will fluid film keep this minimized? I've got a spray can and gallon of the stuff but thought about having it down professionally since they can get it up on lift

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has 100 miles on it and the top of the spindle and spindle bolts are already completely orange as well. Will hittem with a brush and coat them when I do the suspension just because. It's disappointing but don't think it's a huge deal. If it becomes an issue, I suspect a recall or class action is likely given what Toyota went through a while back.
Hi C02,

Each vehicle program has requirements for Salt corrosion performance as well as individual components. The whole vehicles are amazing, usually white, and after the full vehicle test they are incredibly corroded. They are usually driven across the pot hole course among other tests to see if the corrosion results in problems. I searched for pictures but my search skill set lacks being able to find pictures of these corrosion vehicles. Simply amazing what they look like. You have superficial corrosion of no harm in my opinion.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Will fluid film keep this minimized? I've got a spray can and gallon of the stuff but thought about having it down professionally since they can get it up on lift
Any moisture barrier works. It’s stopping the rust before you treat it unless it’s formulated to do both.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
maybe try rust encapsulator. I had some on the crossmember where the skid plate attaches. I saw it when I lowered the skid plate for an oil change. When it warms up I have some POR-15 I'm gonna use on it.
Sponsored