Fox 2.0 suspension kit on washboard roads

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
Does anyone with the standard Fox 2.0 or Ford Fox 2.0 kit have experience with them on washboard roads? If so, how did it perform? Much of my off road excursions are in the desert southwest where you can sometimes encounter a few miles of these roads at a time. The stock suspension is horrible for this and was wondering how the Fox kits performed.

Icons tend to be stiffer in the choppy slower stuff, so this is why I wanted to get feedback on the Fox kits.
Sponsored

Last edited:

runner69

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Transit bus mechanic, former Ford master tech
Vehicle Showcase
I drive plenty of washboard roads on our way to climb 14ers. My ranger is an FX4 and I put the Ford/Fox kit in. The stock FX4 was a little smoother on the washboard but the Ford/Fox does much better on everything else. The F/F was worth doing for the other 75% of the time

OP
OP
NvrFinished

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
I drive plenty of washboard roads on our way to climb 14ers. My ranger is an FX4 and I put the Ford/Fox kit in. The stock FX4 was a little smoother on the washboard but the Ford/Fox does much better on everything else. The F/F was worth doing for the other 75% of the time
Thanks for the info.

jcru1017

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX2
Occupation
Student, Legal
Does anyone with the standard Fox 2.0 or Ford Fox 2.0 kit have experience with them on washboard roads? If so, how did it perform? Much of my off road excursions are in the desert southwest where you can sometimes encounter a few miles of these roads at a time. The stock suspension is horrible for this and was wondering how the Fox kits performed.
I was curious about this too. I have the Ford/fox 2.0 and wanted to know how it performs going faster on dirt roads, washboards, etc

OP
OP
NvrFinished

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
It's been my experience that air pressure helps most with washboards. We've got a ton of them here in the NW, airing down seems to help. A little.
Yes, I know that airing down helps. Sometimes though, it's not worth doing that for the few miles on the washboard.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Icons tend to be stiffer in the choppy slower stuff, so this is why I wanted to get feedback on the Fox kits.
Hi Shea,

We have washboard roads in cement on our proving grounds at Ford. We call then sinewaves. Both two inch crest to trough and 4 inch crest to trough. Both surfaces are some 300 ft long. We drive them and various speeds until we hit vehicle resonances for the purpose of understanding resonant responds. For example...during the Formula SAE competition at Ford, I was director of Operations for dynamic events, and for the static events, my secretary and I hosted tours of our Dearborn Proving Grounds and included the sinewaves in the tour... We were in a Econoline 15 passenger bus, I was the narrator and Carol was the driver. We approached the 2 inch sineways at 13 mph and the steering column went crazy... Then we hit the 4 inch sinewaves and no response...The college kids were blown away.

So when on washboard roads that are terrible....Speed up...you can smooth out almost all of them with speed...you get to where the tires just skip over the tops like it is a smooth road. Living in the Green Valley area...we have old mining camps that are on washboard roads. On one, Margie was being beat to beat the band, so I sped up..she complained but found the ride smoothed out to the point of being a non issue.

Okay....your suspension upgrade should not be determined by washboard roads unless you do not want to change your speed. FX4 on my Ranger at some 37 mph to the Helvetiaa mining camp are quite smooth. At 15 mph...pure hell.... Other washboards require you to vary the speed to smooth out the dirt road.

Choose your suspension on other than washboard roads... JMO...

Best,
Phil

Pinepig

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last count was 12
Occupation
lol
It's been my experience that air pressure helps most with washboards. We've got a ton of them here in the NW, airing down seems to help. A little.
Yep, I have the Ford fox and airing down to 25 or so makes it much much better.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
I have the Ford Fox kit with Toyo Open Country AT3 LT265/70R17 E-rated tires.

Washboards are jarring with the normal 37 PSI. Helps to increase speed to sync up with the crests. But also easy to loose control at that speed when the washboard changes.

I find airing down to 20-25 smooths everything out quite well.

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
So when I did tons of off roading in my lifted ‘95 EB 4x4 Explorer, as an engineer I always observed and wondered why almost all washboard roads had nearly the same pitch (bump to bump distance). How does “nature”/truck tires create such similarities in such varied locations.

Just wondering….

Sako887

First Name
Sarkis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I have an FX4 and got the Ford performance fox 2.0’s. 265/70r17 toyo open country at3. On washboards, the fx4 suspension was definitely smoother, but the 2.0’s are better in every other aspect. More compliant on curvy roads, and did a better job at not bottoming out off road over a variety of terrain. It definitely settled down the rear end, less rocking side to side. I usually air down to 22-24. In my experience, you risk debeading the tire with anything lower than that.

That being said, I wish more people would have brought up how sensitive/active the front end is over small bumps with the 2.0’s. There’s definitely more road feel.

I recently got the icon leaf packs in the rear, and that definitely smoothed out the rear (softer leaf than the stock leafs and handles weight better) Night and day difference. In my opinion, the icon leaf packs with the 2.0’s in the rear would be the perfect setup to soften the washboards and maintain a very comfortable ride.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Question. Forgive me I am a noob to trucks. When I off-road on washboards and I speed up I notice it’s easy for the truck tires to start changing directions accidentally from the bumps. Is that normal? Or… Not gripping the steering wheel hard enough to keep it straight? Not good enough front suspension(only have fox rears and non fx4)?

This is the only thing preventing me from going past 20-25 mph as it seems I don’t want to hit a bump wrong and the truck goes into a rock or off a mountain. I air down to 25 with the hankooks but I haven’t tried 25 or lower with the falken wildpeaks. I’d imagine it’s a lot better with the off road tires aired down.

Flowgod

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
I have the ford fox kit and it has performed really well on the dirt roads where I travel. Like said by a lot of people, speed and tire pressure make a big difference. I never went off road with my stock suspension so I cant really compare

RecoilOperated

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
ICU Nurse
So when I did tons of off roading in my lifted ‘95 EB 4x4 Explorer, as an engineer I always observed and wondered why almost all washboard roads had nearly the same pitch (bump to bump distance). How does “nature”/truck tires create such similarities in such varied locations.

Just wondering….
I found a decent explanation on the website below; from the several sources I read through it sounds like the concept of washboarding is still being studied. Also I am not an engineer so there might be better explanations out there that are just above my paygrade.

https://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/ranch-life/what-causes-washboard-roads.htm

OP
OP
NvrFinished

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
I have an FX4 and got the Ford performance fox 2.0’s. 265/70r17 toyo open country at3. On washboards, the fx4 suspension was definitely smoother, but the 2.0’s are better in every other aspect. More compliant on curvy roads, and did a better job at not bottoming out off road over a variety of terrain. It definitely settled down the rear end, less rocking side to side. I usually air down to 22-24. In my experience, you risk debeading the tire with anything lower than that.

That being said, I wish more people would have brought up how sensitive/active the front end is over small bumps with the 2.0’s. There’s definitely more road feel.

I recently got the icon leaf packs in the rear, and that definitely smoothed out the rear (softer leaf than the stock leafs and handles weight better) Night and day difference. In my opinion, the icon leaf packs with the 2.0’s in the rear would be the perfect setup to soften the washboards and maintain a very comfortable ride.
Thanks much. This is the type of information I was looking for. I know that it's difficult to get a somewhat comfortable ride over washboards. I also know that going with larger shock can many times make it worse. Some are worse than others and why I wanted to get an idea of how these shocks performed. I'm looking to add the Icon rear leaf springs as well and this is the first I've heard of how they work with the Ford Fox shocks.
Sponsored