First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger - 2014 Tiffin Phaeton Motorhome
Occupation
Retired Fire Captain
Does it matter if the shock is installed with the reservoir at the top or the shaft at the top on the Fox 2.0 Stage 1 ? I don't see any indication on the shock itself. The printing on the shock is upside down if the shaft is at the frame.

The OEM shock on my Ranger with FX4 has the shaft connected to the frame.
This picture (below) from the Fox install manual has the reservoir connected to the frame.
The video from Stage3motorsports installs it with the shaft connected to the frame.

Maybe it makes no difference how it's done but opinions are welcome.

image.png
Sponsored

Station18Ranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Does it matter if the shock is installed with the reservoir at the top or the shaft at the top on the Fox 2.0 Stage 1 ? I don't see any indication on the shock itself. The printing on the shock is upside down if the shaft is at the frame.

This picture (below) from the Fox install manual has the reservoir connected to the frame.
The video from Stage3motorsports installs it with the shaft connected to the frame.

image.png
I know for the Eibach series, the shaft is on the bottom and the reservoir is on top when installed properly. This is opposite of how the factory shocks come installed, but is the recommended instructions for the aftermarket. I don't know for sure about the FOX products, but definitely might be the same. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
Pvsaint

Pvsaint

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Fire Captain
It does help a lot. Thanks.

Jake596

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT/2013 F-150/1976 F250
Vehicle Showcase

image.png
All the instructionals ive seen have the reservoir on the bottom, do I think it makes a difference, no. I do believe however your less likely to accumulate debris with the exposed shock shaft on the top... but thats just me, happy trails !

Last edited:

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant

krisrayner

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Ranger FX2
IFP / monotube shocks don't care which way they are mounted. So which end of the shock is more forgiving to getting hit by debris? The hardened steel shaft will be more resistent to damage, I reckon, and more readily be repaired/polished if it gets a nic in it. I just ordered the roost shields for my kit as well for the extra insurance, plus I've never been a fan of how shock boots can trap moisture and dirt.

OP
OP
Pvsaint

Pvsaint

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Fire Captain
My thanks to y'all. I have installed with the reservoir at the top. So far I have found a smoother ride on rough roads.
Sponsored