FORScan Modifications

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t know how much I can help but I am running a new Air with an M1 and I have been able to get it to run using Crossover. I am still awaiting my adapter, I went with the new Vlinker so I know I’ll probably be on my own for drivers / pass through com configuration but I’m pretty geeky and know I’ll get it figured out. My point is, if I can get it to run on an M1, you can definitely get it running on yours.

At what point are you getting hung up?
I have Crossover and ForScan installed on they are working fine. I try to run the command 'cd /dev ' and then 'ls>/disconnect.txt' so that I can get the USB information to add it to my regedit. (This is all per Nemesis5zero's YouTube Video). I get an error that says 'read-only' and won't display the txt file for /disconnect.txt or /reconnect.txt. Apparently, there is a System Integrity Protection (SIP) that blocks write access to some files, but I can't disable that either (which I should be able to) during a reboot using 'command+R' to access the terminal.

When I try to use ForScan on my truck, I get an error about not being able to find an adapter. Unless I am missing something else. I think it's because it's not activating the ELM327 (237) adapter. My light on the adapter is red and never turns green.

I have tried running all these commands using sudo, but get the same results.
Sponsored

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Side note; I have Crossover and Parallels. Neither option will work. I tried installing the driver from ForScan's website and it won't install on Parallels.

troutspinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I have Crossover and ForScan installed on they are working fine. I try to run the command 'cd /dev ' and then 'ls>/disconnect.txt' so that I can get the USB information to add it to my regedit. (This is all per Nemesis5zero's YouTube Video). I get an error that says 'read-only' and won't display the txt file for /disconnect.txt or /reconnect.txt. Apparently, there is a System Integrity Protection (SIP) that blocks write access to some files, but I can't disable that either (which I should be able to) during a reboot using 'command+R' to access the terminal.

When I try to use ForScan on my truck, I get an error about not being able to find an adapter. Unless I am missing something else. I think it's because it's not activating the ELM327 (237) adapter. My light on the adapter is red and never turns green.

This is a link to a post on the forscan forum about installing drivers for your scanner. You need to make OSX recognize the device before you can make Crossover use the device.

https://www.forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12572

Note that you’ll need root access, ie, sudo is required.

This is a link to Codeweavers site about gaining access to USB ports.

https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/mactutorial/usbtoserial2

Are you following this guide step for step? I know you referenced a YouTuber but if there is one thing I have learned about YouTubers, they do something once and try to come off as experts who have done it for years and they’ll miss a step or not explain it correctly.

troutspinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
That’s another annoyance from today. I ordered a new laptop in august 10 from Dell. I canceled the order today because it was supposed to be delivered on September 16 and it still hasn’t arrived. I need a laptop for work, but I can’t find one I like that isn’t $2500. Rant over.
I hear you there. I thought about picking up a $150 or so laptop off of Facebook marketplace or Craigslist just for this but I’d rather try my Mac first. My daughter does have a windows laptop I can borrow but I like to tinker so I am trying the Mac route first. I am a former IT guy, certified in blah blah blah, lol, so I enjoy doing this stuff….now that I am not doing it for people who can’t connect to their printer for the 50th time. ;)

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
That’s another annoyance from today. I ordered a new laptop in august 10 from Dell. I canceled the order today because it was supposed to be delivered on September 16 and it still hasn’t arrived. I need a laptop for work, but I can’t find one I like that isn’t $2500. Rant over.
Try slickdeals.com lots of good laptops for around $1200. Daily there will be new deals. Just check it so often. Even dare I say better than Dell $2000 computer? Especially now with more graphics card showing up, been seeing some nice deals.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
This is a link to a post on the forscan forum about installing drivers for your scanner. You need to make OSX recognize the device before you can make Crossover use the device.

https://www.forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12572

Note that you’ll need root access, ie, sudo is required.

This is a link to Codeweavers site about gaining access to USB ports.

https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/mactutorial/usbtoserial2

Are you following this guide step for step? I know you referenced a YouTuber but if there is one thing I have learned about YouTubers, they do something once and try to come off as experts who have done it for years and they’ll miss a step or not explain it correctly.
ok, I took a step back and pulled my head out of my behind. I followed the steps in the Code Weaver link and I was able to find the USB device name and set it up. I successfully connected to the truck. Two things happened:
1. I was using ls>/disconnect.txt and the correct code is actually ls > ~/disconnect.txt. I have never seen a till in terminal commands, so I thought it was a way to not get recognized as code.
2. I expected the command to actually put out a text readout that I could review. It does not. You run /disconnect and then /reconnect and then the diff command and it just tells you.

This is annoying because I was the problem all along. (kind of, the directions suck too). Now I can play with settings. I didn't have time before work today, so I only was able to get the connection to the truck. Next step is fixing my speedometer.

troutspinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
ok, I took a step back and pulled my head out of my behind. I followed the steps in the Code Weaver link and I was able to find the USB device name and set it up. I successfully connected to the truck. Two things happened:
1. I was using ls>/disconnect.txt and the correct code is actually ls > ~/disconnect.txt. I have never seen a till in terminal commands, so I thought it was a way to not get recognized as code.
2. I expected the command to actually put out a text readout that I could review. It does not. You run /disconnect and then /reconnect and then the diff command and it just tells you.

This is annoying because I was the problem all along. (kind of, the directions suck too). Now I can play with settings. I didn't have time before work today, so I only was able to get the connection to the truck. Next step is fixing my speedometer.
That is Awesome!

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman

I know nothing about Macs and most of what you're talking about.

However, on my adaptor, OBDLinkEX101 a red light means you need to install the required drivers for the adaptor. I was able to do this from the manufacturers website.
I hear you there. I thought about picking up a $150 or so laptop off of Facebook marketplace or Craigslist just for this but I’d rather try my Mac first. My daughter does have a windows laptop I can borrow but I like to tinker so I am trying the Mac route first. I am a former IT guy, certified in blah blah blah, lol, so I enjoy doing this stuff….now that I am not doing it for people who can’t connect to their printer for the 50th time. ;)
I found a little 10" HP running windows 10 refurbished by Amazon for $120. It was on my doorstep in about 4 days. It should be more than capable for Forscan and any future tuning on the Ranger. Just in case the fun turns into a pain.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I know nothing about Macs and most of what you're talking about.

However, on my adaptor, OBDLinkEX101 a red light means you need to install the required drivers for the adaptor. I was able to do this from the manufacturers website.

I found a little 10" HP running windows 10 refurbished by Amazon for $120. It was on my doorstep in about 4 days. It should be more than capable for Forscan and any future tuning on the Ranger. Just in case the fun turns into a pain.
Do you happen to have a link?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman

BriGuy3030

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Tremor
Occupation
Union Ironworker Local 396
Does anybody know if there is a setting/module for allowing additional/all windows to be 1-touch AUTO up/down?

My XLT Tremor only allows for the driver’s side Auto up/down.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Can someone with a 21 XLT FX4 tell me what the stock tire size diameter is? I changed it using a friends laptop and it, while we clicked the 'backup' option, it didn't save...
Sponsored