tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, 1988 Mustang GT, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Good choice on keeping it Rich. I agree it's more of a downgrade as we'd be losing way to many things going from a 2019 to a present one.

I'm still torn between the Ranger Raptor and the PHEV Ranger. I might just order both and see which one comes in first. It'll probably take a good 12-18 months anyways so it won't be a first year run. Right Tony @tgRanger? ??
??
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Good choice on keeping it Rich. I agree it's more of a downgrade as we'd be losing way to many things going from a 2019 to a present one.

I'm still torn between the Ranger Raptor and the PHEV Ranger. I might just order both and see which one comes in first. It'll probably take a good 12-18 months anyways so it won't be a first year run. Right Tony @tgRanger? ??
Dave is turning into more then just a damper dude. He’s now ordering your next car. That is if he decides and then changes his mind…

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Has anyone received a flyer like this? My dealer sent me an upgrade program flyer telling me their interested in my truck and offering 20% over book. Can this be true? I know there’s probably no inventory to choose from but my goodness I’d be letting it go for more than what I paid for it three years later.. What do they use to determine book value? I used Kelly Blue book for giggles, private party and trade. Private party is what I paid for the truck, now add 20% its very tempting. Even trade in with 20% would put me a couple thousand ahead. What am I missing here.. The “UP” to 20% is probably the catch! Thanks
B02E8539-394F-47CE-8133-A2F20FC79DE4.jpeg
D2905BA0-CC4C-499A-B79B-23004CB0E6C9.jpeg
8DD3B0BE-3248-4E32-B183-91B849D8FBF7.jpeg
I have gotten one phone call and two flyers looking to get me to trade the 21 Ranger I have not owned for a year yet on a new Ford.
My mail box is always full of notices that the warranty on my 21 Ranger or 21 Cherokee have expired or are about to and I need to call to extend my warranty.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Come on y’all. See this “upgrade” program for what it is: a dealership that wants to buy your vehicle and sell it for more, while simultaneously selling you an untitled vehicle for more than they paid for it. It’s kinda what they do on a daily basis..

Last edited:

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Good Point. I am lucky then as I really don't want them calling me, at all. for anything!!

It really becomes obvious when or if you land on a good sales person, or dealer.
Yup, my dealership was great and will definitely get repeat business from me. Salesman said this is the sticker price ignore the $1500 of dealer add ons, no point in going back and forth. He said pay sticker and it's yours. Hard to complain for the end of 2021.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Just remember it says UP TO 20% over book value - it would be interesting to know how many vehicles they are actually giving 20% over book for.

But we do live in strange times for sure.

I may have one of the earliest 5g rigs on the site now - a lot of the original folks have moved on. I ordered mine in December of 2018 and picked it up in April of 2019....

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I picked up mine in May 2019, and the dealer still wants me to buy another vehicle with their upgrade mailers and e-mails. Not gona happen.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Probably, the problem is you'll have to find something to drive for the next 6 months until your new Ranger comes in.

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
I got a similar letter from the dealer I purchased my Ranger from. I told them the only way I would trade my Ranger in would be for a fully loaded Maverick Lariat FX4 with the factory 4,000 lbs tow package. I told them that knowing that they don't have any Mavericks available let alone any with all the options I want. Plus I told them that I want to see one in person to check out and test drive first.

Needless to say I haven't heard another word from the dealership since then.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
I got a similar letter from the dealer I purchased my Ranger from. I told them the only way I would trade my Ranger in would be for a fully loaded Maverick Lariat FX4 with the factory 4,000 lbs tow package. I told them that knowing that they don't have any Mavericks available let alone any with all the options I want. Plus I told them that I want to see one in person to check out and test drive first.

Needless to say I haven't heard another word from the dealership since then.
Used cars generally come from being traded in on new cars. When there is a shortage of new cars then less people trade in their old cars, leading to a shortage of used cars also. Dealers meantime have less of everything to sell so they jack up the prices on what they do have. I’m glad I’m not in the car business anymore.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
there is a used car lot near me in BC.
its full of late model, high end, full size Dodge trucks.

his inventory was amassed well before the gas prices climbed.
he likely saw the shortage of new vehicles and bought up as much inventory as he could in anticipation of high resale values on these used rigs.

then the gas prices climbed Everest.....and his inventory doesn't look like its moving if at all.
If he had F150's he might have a chance. The Dodge dealerships around me seem to be the only places with substantial inventory on the lot.

Back to the auction for these trucks I imagine.

my opinion, if your dealership cant make ends meet with a viable business plan, then it fails. Ripping off the consumer is criminal.
This ^^

Ford dealers near the cottage all have such low inventory on new units - usually no trucks, a few Explorers, Escapes, a few used cars and the odd Ranger or Bronco now and then. Ten or fewer cars on the lots in Lucknow, Wingham, and Kincardine but drive by the Dodge Ram/Jeep dealer in Arthur and they are literally overflowing with inventory and have vehicles staged across the street.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
This ^^

Ford dealers near the cottage all have such low inventory on new units - usually no trucks, a few Explorers, Escapes, a few used cars and the odd Ranger or Bronco now and then. Ten or fewer cars on the lots in Lucknow, Wingham, and Kincardine but drive by the Dodge Ram/Jeep dealer in Arthur and they are literally overflowing with inventory and have vehicles staged across the street.
My daughter needed a new vehicle (hers was having mechanical issues and had 200k on it and it didn't seem to make sense to spend 4k on repairs). She went to a dealer (Subaru) and they told her that they got 15-20 new cars a month and almost all of them were sold before they even hit the lot. I knew the situation was bad, but I didn't realize HOW bad it was. She ended up buying a 2021 with low miles on it as she wasn't sure when she might be able to get a new one. Ordering was a 6 month+ wait.

So it seems industry wide for sure. The dealer I bought my Ranger from hasn't had any Rangers in months.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
there is a used car lot near me in BC.
its full of late model, high end, full size Dodge trucks.

his inventory was amassed well before the gas prices climbed.
he likely saw the shortage of new vehicles and bought up as much inventory as he could in anticipation of high resale values on these used rigs.

then the gas prices climbed Everest.....and his inventory doesn't look like its moving if at all.
If he had F150's he might have a chance. The Dodge dealerships around me seem to be the only places with substantial inventory on the lot.

Back to the auction for these trucks I imagine.

my opinion, if your dealership cant make ends meet with a viable business plan, then it fails. Ripping off the consumer is criminal.
Same in my area.

All of the dealerships are stocked pretty thin except for the Ram/Jeep dealers.

They seem to have plenty of new inventory available.

The local Jeep dealer is now stocking Rivians, at a hefty markup of course.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
This ^^

Went by the Ford dealer near me and they had at least 100 pickups and as many Explorers. Catch is the pickups were all F250s and F350s with minimal options. The Explorers all looked like Police package vehicles.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
I got mine at the dealer down the road from my work which is one of the larger dealers in the Pittsburgh area. They seem to have a decent number of F-150's, a 250 or two, and some Escapes and Mustangs but that's about it. I never see a Ranger on their lot.
I went shopping for a truck just before the shortage got bad and had every intention of ordering one with the X-Plan through my employer but they had a 2020 that was just traded in, the previous owner decided it wasn't big enough and traded it on a 150. Had 5000 miles on it and was a better deal than the X-Plan on a 2021, best of all it was 95% what I would have ordered anyway and even the color was right. At that time, March 2021, it was the only Ranger on their lot.
Sponsored