First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I would like a PHEV as much as the next person but literally concessions will need to be made....we're talking rangers here but also can lump Maverick into this discussion.

With regards to pickup trucks in general but as it pertains to "Power boost" hybrid (yes I know we're talking about PHEV's here) Battery packs weigh quite a bit...as a result payload and towing capacity drop off significantly.

Powerboost hybrid employs a fairly small battery which allows the F150 to maintain desirable payload and towing abilities.

Now if we take the Ranger and Maverick and assume a "Power boost" hybrid type of system (also add AWD to the Maverick) then payload and towing capacity should only be mildly affected and range probably increased (with obviously a heavier reliance on gasoline).....but if we start getting into plugin hybrids that means a significantly larger battery pack and I'd assume range would be greatly increased (range on EV alone even) but your payload will probably drop quite a bit from the current 7500lbs towing capacity and (avg payload rating around 1600/1700lbs for the RANGER)

Thats the trade off in considering a PHEV Ranger at least for me .....can I concede a drop in towing capacity and payload for lighter loads but increased driving range.
A 13.5 KWH LEPOF4 (Li-Iron phosphate) Battery weighs in at less than 300lbs, and most PHEV's have about that size (think TESLA Powerwall 2), and gives about 30 eMpg depending on weight, so your numbers would be correct for a EV only truck like the lightning. I have 400 AH of Li-Iron phosphate batteries in my RV and they weigh only 90lbs.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
If they are going to go PHEV then I'd expect something on the order of the 14.4 kwh packs used in the Escape PHEV. That pack weighs 6-700 lbs full of coolant so the hit to payload/towing will be there. I'm not sure you would get an all electric mode if the reuse the hybridized 10spd from the F150 as the 40 horse electric motor is a little anemic for a 5k pound truck. They might go with a purpose built longitudinal ECVT based on what has been used in the fusion/cmax/escape/maverick which would give all electric mode and possibly ~20 miles of all electric range.

Even with an all electric mode I'm not sure that the increase in fuel economy would offset the price increase the PHEV would cost as it will likely be at least $6k over a non-phev. You'd have to drive 48k miles plus with gas at $5 an gallon and electricity at .25 a kwh to break even. Some would do that in a reasonable timeframe, some would not.

Now for those that like to do camping/overlanding the hybrid (if Ford offers pro power onboard) would be attractive for powering creature comforts, or being a more useful work vehicle for people working in the trades.
The Explorer PHEV uses the modular 10-speed hybrid transmission and has a 25 mile all electric range. It has a 13.6 kWh battery pack pared with a 100 HP traction motor. PHEVs typically have larger electric motors mated to the larger battery packs as compared to HEVs.

The automotive press has been saying for a long time that the Ranger PHEV will have 360 HP. Assuming that is correct, then that would mean a 90 HP traction motor.

Last edited:

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
If they are going to go PHEV then I'd expect something on the order of the 14.4 kwh packs used in the Escape PHEV. That pack weighs 6-700 lbs full of coolant so the hit to payload/towing will be there. I'm not sure you would get an all electric mode if the reuse the hybridized 10spd from the F150 as the 40 horse electric motor is a little anemic for a 5k pound truck. They might go with a purpose built longitudinal ECVT based on what has been used in the fusion/cmax/escape/maverick which would give all electric mode and possibly ~20 miles of all electric range.

Even with an all electric mode I'm not sure that the increase in fuel economy would offset the price increase the PHEV would cost as it will likely be at least $6k over a non-phev. You'd have to drive 48k miles plus with gas at $5 an gallon and electricity at .25 a kwh to break even. Some would do that in a reasonable timeframe, some would not.

Now for those that like to do camping/overlanding the hybrid (if Ford offers pro power onboard) would be attractive for powering creature comforts, or being a more useful work vehicle for people working in the trades.
Ford design this in mind with hybrid form and VW planned on taking the T6 and turning it into a PHEV. So maybe this sharing agreement with VW is paying off

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
I pay extra in my parking fees to get access. state job
I am really happy to hear that as so many ev users on you tube and in print seem to think that plugging into other peoples metered electricity is a God given right.

taralon

First Name
Jeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Crew Cab FX4
Occupation
IT
A 13.5 KWH LEPOF4 (Li-Iron phosphate) Battery weighs in at less than 300lbs, and most PHEV's have about that size (think TESLA Powerwall 2), and gives about 30 eMpg depending on weight, so your numbers would be correct for a EV only truck like the lightning. I have 400 AH of Li-Iron phosphate batteries in my RV and they weigh only 90lbs.

The current Explorer (non hybrid) in North America currently has a curb weight of 4345 lbs to 4727 lbs depending on trim per:
2021 Explorer Tech Specs (ford.com)
the 3.3 Limited Hybrid per the same source weights 4969 lbs.

The Euro PHEV Explorer hybrid weighs 2466 kg (5425 lbs) per:
tech_specs_explorer.pdf (fordpers.be)

That's a ~456lb difference from hybrid to PHEV and a 698 lb difference from a top trim non-hybrid to whatever tim is in the second link. Other sites indicate that the top trim curb weight of a Euro PHEV Explorer is 5699 lbs which is ~900 lbs more than a top trim non-hybrid Explorer.

The 2021 tech specs for a hybrid F150 vs non-hybrid F150 also show an ~600 lb difference between the hybrid vs non-hybrid base curb weights, and that's with a miniscule 1.6 kwh battery pack.

2021 F-150 Technical Specs (ford.com)

Which is why I said I expected a hybridized ranger to be 6-700 lbs more with battery coolant than a non-hybrid version.

The Explorer PHEV uses the modular 10-speed hybrid transmission and has a 25 mile all electric range. It has a 13.6 kWh battery pack pared with a 100 HP traction motor. PHEVs typically have larger electric motors mated to the larger battery packs as compared to HEVs.

The automotive press has been saying for a long time that the Ranger PHEV will have 360 HP. Assuming that is correct, then that would mean a 90 HP traction motor.
I don't believe that the North American Ranger PHEV will receive the 'Eurospec' hybridized 10 speed, at least in the first few years of production. There is no North American production of that iteration of transmissions currently and given the tightening MPG standards in California and USA I would expect that the 'Eurospec' hybridized 10 speed would be preferentially installed in Explorers (and like Lincolns) and F150s rather than the Ranger so that Ford can more easily meet fleet emissions goals. I expect that any PHEV Ranger would get the current North American spec hybridized 10 speed currently in the F150 hybrid and the Explorer hybrid, which only has a ~40 horsepower electric motor. Ford might surprise me in that, and it would be a pleasant surprise. A new design longitudinal eCVT for any mid/full size PHEV (Explorer,F150,Ranger) would be an even better surprise, as you'd see significant fuel economy increases from that.

Last edited:

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I expect that any PHEV Ranger would get the current North American spec hybridized 10 speed currently in the F150 hybrid and the Explorer hybrid, which only has a ~40 horsepower electric motor. Ford might surprise me in that, and it would be a pleasant surprise. A new design longitudinal eCVT for any mid/full size PHEV (Explorer,F150,Ranger) would be an even better surprise, as you'd see significant fuel economy increases from that.
Prepare to be pleasantly surprised!

There is almost zero chance Ford will put an eCVT in a Ranger. That is what I currently have in my Fusion hybrid and I love it in that application but it is not robust enough for the towing/hauling that Rangers are expected to handle. I doubt if we'll ever see an eCVT in a body on frame vehicle but it's perfect for the Maverick application.

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
It's going to make offroading more fun.
It's all about the challenge and the heavier the vehicle the more challenge.
Easier to get stuck and harder to get un-stuck.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Oh goody!
A more complicated drivetrain with more computers!
I can hardly wait!
That's what I was thinking. More stuff that will be expensive to fix when it breaks.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's what I was thinking. More stuff that will be expensive to fix when it breaks.
True, but most hybrids have been very reliable. But, many things about modern vehicles are complicated and expensive to repair. The 10-speed transmission in our Rangers is an engineering marvel along with the onboard electronics and infotainment systems, ABS brakes, 4x4 systems and direct/dual injection systems. Then there is all the silicon chips and software that controls these complicated systems. And then there is an endless list of government mandated systems such as backup cameras, airbags, pollution controls and much more. We live in a complex world.
Sponsored