First Name
Vaino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, Factory Five Cobra
Occupation
Tech Management
I think this post is what you're looking for: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...-install-instructions.5971/page-2#post-105637
He also posts a link to the Ford resource for this information.
Thank you, somehow I missed this despite read every thread I could find. It infers the Yellow/Gray cable is the one that matters. I'll like go as is and follow the instructions to the letter. Sounds like they wanted plug and play which means the only connector is way up at the CHMSL. I'll go safe as well and deal with the disassembly. ,,?
Sponsored

nevada.tracy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Part Number: VKB3Z-2C006-A MSRP $339.
levittownfordparts.com has it for $272.90
For comparison the Redarc tow pro elite goes for $208.16 on amazon.
Levittown now has it for$339.00
Anyone know where to get it cheaper? That's the same price locally

Last edited:

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
Let me wish those luck that install this. Had to do it (took about 6 hours end to end as I’m kinda slow - no not that kind.) and then the next day drive 4.5 hours to pick up a camper. No testing done which I didn’t like. Knew it was getting power but didn’t know much else. Thankfully, it worked!

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
I finally had someone install the OEM TBC VKB3Z-2C006_A, in preparation of a new trailer and SXS. I have a 2019 lariat with factory tow package. Below are some observations and perhaps helpful tips. I bought online from Varsity Ford which offered the least expensive price at the time ($262)

1. For any of you in the San Diego Market I had a mobile mechanic do the installation at a fair and reasonable price. I shopped around and the prices varied quite a bit Everything was installed per the instructions, except the mounting location. I had him mount between the shifter and rotary dial. Installation took 2 hours at my house. If you would like the contact info and pricing DM me.

2. When first connected (no trailer) the LED does not illuminate unless it is depressed. It Illuminates green if you press it.

3. Until you connect a trailer or tester you won't be able to calibrate or verify operation.

4. I have an electric brake force meter that allows you to test and calibrate, if you don't have your trailer yet. Again, if in the SD market and wish to use this DM me. It has a 25' cable that allows you connect to the 7 pin, feed through the rear window so you can observe. It shows brake lights, turn signals, reverse, power etc., as well as a proportional led bar.

5. With the meter connected I drove around the neighborhood until it calibrated. When the trailer (tester in this case) is first recognized it flashes mostly green. As you drive around the green flash frequency decreases and gradually will be replaced with a solid blue (proportional)LED. Once blue you can observe the LED turn red as you depress the brake pedal. The red LED braking intensity increases as you increase the gain.

Last edited:

ISUACE

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Just installed this yesterday... it wasn't bad. The hardest part IMO was getting to the high mounted brake light on the back of the cab. Had to remove all of the trim pieces with out busting a push fastener.

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
If we didn't have to tie into the 3rd brake light, it would be like a 45 minute job. Super annoyed that I had to pull all that trim just to tie into the light.

Haven't had a chance to plug a trailer into it, but it glows blue for a second if I press the button, so it must be working lol

DanaBovender

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
From the Florida Panhandle Residing in Germany
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Gov Employee
Okay, I hate to revive and revisit this mess but I have a question....
If you don't have Active Cruise Control, and your truck was not equipped with a tow package can you simply run the standard REDARC Toe Elite?
My truck came with the basic 4 flat plug in, which I converted to the RV/4flat Ford harness with an aftermarket Draw-Tite hitch.
Is the Ford one with the module really required?

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4/Sport in Saber Orange
Occupation
Systems engineer by day, maker and multimedia guru by night.
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, I hate to revive and revisit this mess but I have a question....
If you don't have Active Cruise Control, and your truck was not equipped with a tow package can you simply run the standard REDARC Toe Elite?
My truck came with the basic 4 flat plug in, which I converted to the RV/4flat Ford harness with an aftermarket Draw-Tite hitch.
Is the Ford one with the module really required?
Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking | Ford Co-Pilot 360™ Technology

It's not a Active Cruise Control issue, it's a "Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB)" issue. I don't remember if it was an option on the 2019 model (I think so) but on the 2020 and up it's standard. So "technically" you have to buy and install the $300 Ford version along with any towing bar/harness.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking | Ford Co-Pilot 360™ Technology

It's not a Active Cruise Control issue, it's a "Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB)" issue. I don't remember if it was an option on the 2019 model (I think so) but on the 2020 and up it's standard. So "technically" you have to buy and install the $300 Ford version along with any towing bar/harness.
It’s standard across the entire range of years from what I recall. See if you have copilot360.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Yep I have the pre-Collision and AEB
So now I know....
I've towed with a Prodigy P3 in my ranger for 5K miles at least, never had a problem ever, and I can take it out of the truck whenever I want. Just "devils advocate" information.

bentroia

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Logistics
Your wisdom.please.. I read this entire string..

In my 2021 lariat with tow package.. Is getting the Ford controller and having the dealer install my best choice for a factory like and full function end result?

I dont want to do it myself and really prefer to keep the new Tremor OEM unless there is a significant benefit not to.

Your learning and advice is appreciated.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Your wisdom.please.. I read this entire string..

In my 2021 lariat with tow package.. Is getting the Ford controller and having the dealer install my best choice for a factory like and full function end result?

I dont want to do it myself and really prefer to keep the new Tremor OEM unless there is a significant benefit not to.

Your learning and advice is appreciated.
I don't understand the question. Given what you've presented, why would you not go with a dealer installed OEM TBC?
Sponsored