First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 XLT Screw FTX
Occupation
Electrician
Rolled over 1k today and changed the oil.

Had read a lot of different opinions/experiences but mine wasn't bad.

The front wheel can definitely stay on.

The rubber "skirt" doesn't need to come all the way off, just a couple of the screw/pins at the top and it will flop down to allow access to the filter.

Yes the filters are on pretty snug but was able to reach in and loosen it by hand.

Skid plate came off no problem and somehow someway someone at Ford really screwed up and the bolts ended up (accidentally I'm sure) as the same 15mm as the drain plug so you don't even need another socket.

Oil fill is in a pretty convenient spot and everything went together well, will have to watch the screw pins on the skirt to make sure they don't come loose though.

Oil may have had a slight fuel smell to it, couldn't really tell if it did or if I've just been reading too many oil dilution threads, will send it out regardless.

Used Motorcraft 5-30 syn blend. Don't want to go to full syn just yet and it's coming out at 5k when I change the damper fluid anyway.

Thanks to all for the great info!
Sponsored

OP
OP
mattri

mattri

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 XLT Screw FTX
Occupation
Electrician
Depends on your elevation- thinner air at higher elevations doesn't create as much drag- adjust accordingly.

Cjohn8503

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Personal chef

The rubber "skirt" doesn't need to come all the way off, just a couple of the screw/pins at the top and it will flop down to allow access to the filter.

Yes the filters are on pretty snug but was able to reach in and loosen it by hand.

Skid plate came off no problem and somehow someway someone at Ford really screwed up and the bolts ended up (accidentally I'm sure) as the same 15mm as the drain plug so you don't even need another socket.

Oil fill is in a pretty convenient spot and everything went together well, will have to watch the screw pins on the skirt to make sure they don't come loose though.

Oil may have had a slight fuel smell to it, couldn't really tell if it did or if I've just been reading too many oil dilution threads, will send it out regardless.

Used Motorcraft 5-30 syn blend. Don't want to go to full syn just yet and it's coming out at 5k when I change the damper fluid anyway.

Why did you change your oil after 1k miles? am I missing something?

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
What is damper fluid?
Special fluid for the tailgate damper. It is sourced from the Wumba Wumba plant, found only in the deepest parts of the Antarctic, and only harvested between June 28th and July 3rd of each year. It's available as a fluid, gel, or aerosol..
Can usually be found, alongside muffler bearing fluid, turn signal blinker fluid, and tailgate rotator bearings, and is carried at Dollar General stores nationwide. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
Why did you change your oil after 1k miles? am I missing something?
Brand new truck, he wants a baseline report on Oil status & engine wear. I will be doing the same shortly, bought the oil sample pump from Blackstone, came with 2 sample bottles and mailers.

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport

Been changing the oil on mine from day 1. No stealer ship or fly by night oil change places that will strip the drain plugs to no end. I just flipped 38k on my 2019 and just changed the oil yesterday. I only use Motorcraft oils and Motorcraft oil filters. I'm sold on these as I've raced my Stang's for years and have had to rebuild a few engines from too much boost, lol. However, using Motorcraft oil I can attest how clean the engines were when I broke them down.

Wouldn't worry about the fuel smell in the oil, that will happen with boosted applications.. period. However, do keep a check on the oil level. Handbook calls for 6.2 quarts, I stick with just 6qts and it's been just fine, trust the dip stick. I find that I don't have to completely remove the entire skirt to access the oil filter. Just the top few pins and fold it down under the brake line. I've gotten away from the screw pins in the skirt. They are a pin in the AZZ and get all jacked up upon removal anyway. Just buy a pin kit from Amazon or your local auto store and use those. It will save you sometime and headache with these blasted pins.

Amazon.com: GOOACC 240PCS Bumper Retainer Clips Car Plastic Rivets Fasteners Push Retainer Kit Most Popular Sizes Auto Push Pin Rivets Set -Door Trim Panel Fender Clips for GM Ford Toyota Honda Chrysler : Automotive

Azriq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER XLT SUPERCREW, 1966 FORD MUSTANG 331 STROKER, 2010 MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS

Azriq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER XLT SUPERCREW, 1966 FORD MUSTANG 331 STROKER, 2010 MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS
Been changing the oil on mine from day 1. No stealer ship or fly by night oil change places that will strip the drain plugs to no end. I just flipped 38k on my 2019 and just changed the oil yesterday. I only use Motorcraft oils and Motorcraft oil filters. I'm sold on these as I've raced my Stang's for years and have had to rebuild a few engines from too much boost, lol. However, using Motorcraft oil I can attest how clean the engines were when I broke them down.

Wouldn't worry about the fuel smell in the oil, that will happen with boosted applications.. period. However, do keep a check on the oil level. Handbook calls for 6.2 quarts, I stick with just 6qts and it's been just fine, trust the dip stick. I find that I don't have to completely remove the entire skirt to access the oil filter. Just the top few pins and fold it down under the brake line. I've gotten away from the screw pins in the skirt. They are a pin in the AZZ and get all jacked up upon removal anyway. Just buy a pin kit from Amazon or your local auto store and use those. It will save you sometime and headache with these blasted pins.

Amazon.com: GOOACC 240PCS Bumper Retainer Clips Car Plastic Rivets Fasteners Push Retainer Kit Most Popular Sizes Auto Push Pin Rivets Set -Door Trim Panel Fender Clips for GM Ford Toyota Honda Chrysler : Automotive
The dealer is the ONLY one I allow to touch any of my cars. Well that and my local exhaust shop.

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
People and these short interval oil changes.
:crackup:. I had my first one changed a 9k @ 1 year and my results were A1. Stop wasting your money people and being suckered into sooner oil changes.
Sponsored