First (1k) oil change wasn't that bad.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
People and these short interval oil changes.
:crackup:. I had my first one changed a 9k @ 1 year and my results were A1. Stop wasting your money people and being suckered into sooner oil changes.
I'm gonna disagree with you.

<Insert_counter_argument_here>
Sponsored

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
Brand new truck, he wants a baseline report on Oil status & engine wear. I will be doing the same shortly, bought the oil sample pump from Blackstone, came with 2 sample bottles and mailers.
Not saying it's a bad idea, as I'm a proponent of frequent oil changes during initial break-in, nor am I disputing it.
But, I'm confused as to how samples from the break-in period make for a good baseline?
I would think the first few *after* break-in would make for a proper baseline for the life of the engine?
Please also note that I am a complete data wonk so I would almost never say that collecting extra data is a bad idea. In this case for instance, the early measurements are crucial to know when the break-in period can be considered over as the silicates & metal will drop to a stable level at some point.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
Not saying it's a bad idea, as I'm a proponent of frequent oil changes during initial break-in, nor am I disputing it.
But, I'm confused as to how samples from the break-in period make for a good baseline?
I would think the first few *after* break-in would make for a proper baseline for the life of the engine?
Please also note that I am a complete data wonk so I would almost never say that collecting extra data is a bad idea. In this case for instance, the early measurements are crucial to know when the break-in period can be considered over as the silicates & metal will drop to a stable level at some point.
Not to mention the fuel in oil issue that some are having, I am still debating on the catch can or not, and just use a can of valve & turbo cleaner just before each oil change.

Josebd

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Road maintenance county
Special fluid for the tailgate damper. It is sourced from the Wumba Wumba plant, found only in the deepest parts of the Antarctic, and only harvested between June 28th and July 3rd of each year. It's available as a fluid, gel, or aerosol..
Can usually be found, alongside muffler bearing fluid, turn signal blinker fluid, and tailgate rotator bearings, and is carried at Dollar General stores nationwide. :LOL::LOL::LOL:
Your a retired police Sargent? I thought maybe you was 16 years old,so many smart asses these days

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Your a retired police Sargent? I thought maybe you was 16 years old,so many smart asses these days
OOOOh, testy aren't we. We have a bit of fun, throwing jibs n jabs at each other. It's all in fun and no harm ment.
And if you feel the need to try and take me down a peg...go for it...I have been called much, much worse than a smart ass !
Wait, now that I think about it, I Am A Smart Ass !!!

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I've had mine tested twice, at 25k and at 35k. Oil changes every 5k. The 25k test still had potassium and aluminum traces that they say came out of the intercooler (otherwise it could have been a coolant concern). It had cleared up by the second test.

So you're right...very early tests are probably limited in usefulness.