First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
I suppose I'm just not one to waste my time worrying about a problem I only have a 1/6th of 1% chance of encountering.
So long as you remember Whatever makes you feel better about your position is just in your head, not reality.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
So long as you remember Whatever makes you feel better about your position is just in your head, not reality.

I mean... that figure is reality for me. Like I said, not everyone lives in a shithole... we have about 410,000 registered vehicles and 700 car thefts a year .. gives me a .17 chance of having my vehicle stolen. A little higher than the math in my previous post... but by a near negligable amount.

How many other unfortunate occurrences does an individual have that same chance of encountering? I bet its a list long enough to boggle the mind... and yet... reasonable people don't worry about them. Because filling your head with worry just to worry is stupid.

To each his own!

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
But, as I got to the truck and pulled on the door handle the vehicle stabbed me in the back. The door would not unlock. The truck does not have the keypad on the door and I was locked out.
My past few vehicles prevented the door from being locked if a fob was inside, so I understand where you're coming from. I think the Ranger is different, in a smart way. If you leave the fob inside and lock the doors using a different means that has the ability to also unlock the doors, then it will allow it.

Eg, While the fob is inside the truck...
  • if you try to lock using the FordPass app, then it knows you can also unlock using the app, so it allows locking the fob inside.
  • if you try to lock using a keypad, then it knows you can also unlock using the keypad, so it allows locking the fob inside.
  • If you try to lock using a different fob, then it knows you can also unlock using that fob, so it allows locking the fob inside.
  • if you try to lock using the door handle or buttons, then it isn't sure if you have access to another means to unlock, so it doesn't allow locking the fob inside.
  • if you try to lock using the fob itself while inside, then it isn't sure if you have access to another means to unlock, so it doesn't allow locking the fob inside.
I like it.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Out of my three vehicles, Ford, VW and Hyundai, Ranger warms up fastest. Frozen windshield clear when Hyundai only half way.

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
I kinda get it. I did the same thing when I first got mine. I did have a momentary sense of panic, but then went straight to the app and unlocked it. All too often I leave my keys in my vehicles too. Hell, if it wasn't for my wife reminding me, the house and garage would always be unlocked too. It's a terrible habit that I'm trying to break. Just hard when that's the way you've grown up in a small town. I live in a county of less than 20,000. There is possibly 1,000 in my town.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
using the stats like that is fine if the data is spread evenly across the geographic area, but we know thats not the case.
every town whether you like it or not, has a shithole.
in that shithole, the loss of cars may be at 50%.
if you know where it is and avoid it, you'll keep your stats low, but....do you know where it is? does it move around as the criminals look for better value and opportunity?

Where my house is, it's within walking distance of the scum. yet every home is well cared for, manicured and nice cars in the driveway.
in winter it;s cold, they keep their thefts close to their drug houses. I rarely see the footprints in the snow checking my vehicle.
summer, with their stolen Nikes and summer shorts, they can venture further for longer. Its a nightly occurrence that the security cameras catch someone coming up the driveway....but, I lock my truck, keep all valuables out of it, and I've never had a break-in or theft of my vehicle....but the risk is there....a 100% chance risk during the summer.
Your comment about stats and geographical area is a good one, and correct.

If I were to dig deeper, im sure I'd find that the majority of those stolen vehicles came from our 4-5 biggest cities, which im realistically no where near. Id be surprised if the town my truck lives in has even one report of a stolen vehicle yearly.

This means my chances are effectively much lower than the base number.

I don't worry about it. I'm fortunate in my location.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
If you have the Securicode door pad, you can lock/unlock the door with the key fob inside with the vehicle running.
Ahhh haa! Thanks for the info, didn’t know that.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
....,If I were to dig deeper, im sure I'd find that the majority of those stolen vehicles came from our 4-5 biggest cities....,

One exception to the big city is border cities. I lived in El Paso TX, and even while filling up gas I would lock the car while at the pump.

Border towns like Brownsville and El Paso have very high car theft rates and insurance rates because it’s easy to steal a car and drive over the border and strip it.

MillerLite87

First Name
Miller
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I always leave my key in my truck when I’m home well not always but I’ve noticed that if I leave the keys in the cup holders I’ll lock, don’t know how long after but it will but when I leave them on the passenger seat it doesn’t, I don’t remember if it locks when I leave them on the front pocket where the usb is located. Well I’m not sure if it has to do with the transmitter thing that’s on the cup holder or what, because there would be times I didn’t know why it would be lock and others it wouldn’t but that’s just my suggestion.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Fuzzy math. You also have to evaluate the desirability of your vehicle. If you have a shithole vehicle the odds go down. :clap:

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
???!!???? What??

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
If I leave the truck running and get out with my keys the truck honks the horn twice. Even after a year I forget and it scares me. I know this feature exists to prevent all those stories you hear about people accidentally leaving their vehicle running for extended periods in enclosed areas.

This usually only happens when I'm checking the mail or clearing snow ⛄.
For real? Weird. I get out of my truck everyday to open the garage door, leaving the truck running, and ours never honks?
Sponsored

Last edited: