First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
My average mpg before leaving on this trip was 22.2. That's both city/highway driving and I do mostly (60%) city driving. Now on this trip this is the best I got doing 95% highway, using 91 octane and averaging 75-80 mph the whole tank. It can be done if you're light on the gas and ease into your speed and don't have a lot of steep inclines.

Screenshot 2022-06-19 at 5.32.24 PM.jpeg

UnregistredHypercam2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser VX Limited
Occupation
Cybersecurity
My average mpg before leaving on this trip was 22.2. That's both city/highway driving and I do mostly (60%) city driving. Now on this trip this is the best I got doing 95% highway, using 91 octane and averaging 75-80 mph the whole tank. It can be done if you're light on the gas and ease into your speed and don't have a lot of steep inclines.

I don't have any numbers to show, but I recently did a road trip from Denver to Vegas and back. I got better mileage crossing the Rockies than I did in Utah. Inclines are a factor, but I find I take a much more severe hit to mileage from wind than inclines.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
You must live out in the country. Out in D.C. there’s no way you’d get above maybe 21mpg lol. Now throw 265/70/R17’s on and it takes a couple mpg. Best I ever got was an 11 hour drive to Indiana where I got 24.8mpg. That was cruise control basically the entire way and the truck was bone stock.
I live in Phoenix, and I do use a lot of cruise control.
And I stay out of heavy throttle. I've nothing to prove to anyone here, and these people are stupid drivers on a good day.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I don't have any numbers to show, but I recently did a road trip from Denver to Vegas and back. I got better mileage crossing the Rockies than I did in Utah. Inclines are a factor, but I find I take a much more severe hit to mileage from wind than inclines.
You're right about that. When we left Moab on Friday it was really windy towards the end on I-70 before you hit I-15. Even though we were going on a slight decline I could watch the mileage slowly go down. There's so many variables it's hard to compare one trip (or another Ranger ) to the next but usually the biggest factors are the terrain, speed and your right foot. :)

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Perhaps a little lighter foot and less "walking" other trucks would have gotten him closer to the 24-25 mpg I get in my 4X4 and allowed him to keep his truck?
His was a beautiful ride!
Well I am in Phoenix too and my last tank was 18.6 mpg hand calculated. The tank before that was was @ 17.8 mpg. Most of mine is city driving with maybe 5-7 mile trips on the 101. The only way you are getting 24-25 mpg is almost all highway and you are keeping your mph down. Just start driving your Ranger down Bell Rd or Camelback Rd during rush hour and let's see what you get. When you put the Ranger is stop-and-go traffic, it does not do well for mpg.

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
I absolutely loved my Ranger and I will be heartbroken and jealous when I see somebody driving it, but being in D.C. for another few years, gas prices and just the overall economy, we decided to trade it in and get a Honda Accord hybrid. The FPP tune was forcing me to buy 93 octane and that mixed with 18mpg was starting to hurt (50mpg sounded much better). I will definitely miss walking Silverados, Rams and civics from a red light and I will especially miss my RTR bling. I’ll likely still be lurking because this forum/the people on it are awesome, but I won’t be apart of the Ranger club anymore ? If you end up buying my truck, please take care of her!

E0CD7730-9DC8-486D-8414-62424197A11A.jpeg

80FFA1ED-C80A-4D9D-9BC4-87157EE6E717.jpeg
I don't blame you. CA gas is just as bad, but I still use 87(stock ECU) but we got for the family and primary commuter car for my wife a Bolt EUV. Family trips will be in the EUV and the wife will tote the kids around with it. Luckily my commute is 9 miles one way to work and I only need to be in the office 2-3 days a week. Not gonna lie its a great little EV. The new redesigned ones are very nice in side, Leather seats that are heated and cooled. We also have solar at home so charging will be much cheaper than public charging. 250 miles of range and it was less after rebates than my truck MSRP to MSRP

Last edited:

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
I will be gone soon as well. Have a 2019 4x4 Sabre supercab STX that I
will be trading it in once my F150 is built.

F150 being built on 7/1.

No complaints with the Ranger. Zero issues. Just need a larger truck.

Do care about gas prices. Will come down after brain dead out of office.
Sadly they wont but keep thinking that. There is alot more at play than just 1 person in office. Gonna leave it at that.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4

What is your definition of city driving? Mine is stop and go, where you are stopping at a light at least every mile. I can tell you from experience that driving the busy streets of North Phoenix at rush hour compared to say 9pm is significantly different for mpg. At @ 9pm, if I make every light and cruise at 45-50 mph, I'll bet I get 3-5mpg better (according to the computer) compared to rush hour.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
What is your definition of city driving? Mine is stop and go, where you are stopping at a light at least every mile. I can tell you from experience that driving the busy streets of North Phoenix at rush hour compared to say 9pm is significantly different for mpg. At @ 9pm, if I make every light and cruise at 45-50 mph, I'll bet I get 3-5mpg better (according to the computer) compared to rush hour.
Just curious, do you use auto start stop?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Just about anywhere you go in the valley is stop and go with all the traffic we have today, my daily driving is usually all around the Goodyear area. I work at different houses all the time but they're generally within the city limits so I'm rarely commuting on the highway and if I am they're short trips up the 303. Mine has been like this ( 22.2 mpg) since I installed the tune and started using premium. I'm not saying you do but most are was to heavy on the gas and that kills your mileage. My buddy just picked up his Bronco last Thursday, a loaded Badlands with the Sasquatch package. Almost everyone on the Bronco forum says they can't hit 20 mpg with theirs (average seems to be 17) and he's getting 22.4 with a mixed driving.

The only time I see numbers under that is when I'm off roading then I'm looking at 17-18 mpg depending on what we're doing out there. Rock crawling or steeper trails up in Sedona I'll be around those numbers but going out to the desert where we go shooting is more a flat trail with some sandy washes so I might lose 1 mpg out and back. Driving style has A LOT to do with it along with many other variables but it can be done.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Well I am in Phoenix too and my last tank was 18.6 mpg hand calculated. The tank before that was was @ 17.8 mpg. Most of mine is city driving with maybe 5-7 mile trips on the 101. The only way you are getting 24-25 mpg is almost all highway and you are keeping your mph down. Just start driving your Ranger down Bell Rd or Camelback Rd during rush hour and let's see what you get. When you put the Ranger is stop-and-go traffic, it does not do well for mpg.
True enough, I do a lot of freeway driving at 69mph. My city driving is mainly on Cactus, not Bell, at about 47mph in between stoplights, all during morning and afternoon rush. Bell is another creature, indeed. Even so, I average well into the 20's when driving city because I'm just not heavy on the throttle.
Like everything else, your mileage may vary.

WNCblueridge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger supercab
Occupation
Goat herder

Thought about downsizing for better fuel economy but really can't complain. Ranger still my daily. Been getting those 26-27 numbers every day commuting to work 40 miles. No inclines def helps. Cruise control on 80%. 93 grade, FP tune. 2.5" level using 18"AT tires