First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Well, I put it on today and am satisfied with the results. The Herculiner looks great so far (obviously minimal driving) and matches the rest of the truck. Anyone want to buy a 5D032A for their 2WD?

skid plate 4.jpg
Looks nice, May do that with mine along with the bash plate. Just to tie then all together. I think it would probably look good with my magnetic bumper not to have all that silver in the middle.

Just what I need more mods to make. At least this one isn't too expensive, just time consuming. The wife thinks I'm nuts already. It's my baby, I want it to look nice and maybe a little different.
Sponsored

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
Hi, I was under my Fx2 yesterday doing an oil change ... that factory filter..... why ford why????

anyway I do not have any of the skid plates--- I know its only a 2wd but seems like a little protection for that steering motor that seems to hang down is a good idea so Im adding the middle plate that covers that area but I ran across this one below as well its called
the transmission skid plate but I cannot figure out where it goes, I see it in the picture diagrams but where is it???? if it covers something worthwhile from random road stuff id like to add it -- cheap insurance .... anyone have a picture of where it goes its out of fame to the right on the diagram above sorry I cannot get the picture to copy and paste. thanks.
Skid Plate - Ford (KB3Z-7E063-A)

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Hi, I was under my Fx2 yesterday doing an oil change ... that factory filter..... why ford why????

anyway I do not have any of the skid plates--- I know its only a 2wd but seems like a little protection for that steering motor that seems to hang down is a good idea so Im adding the middle plate that covers that area but I ran across this one below as well its called
the transmission skid plate but I cannot figure out where it goes, I see it in the picture diagrams but where is it???? if it covers something worthwhile from random road stuff id like to add it -- cheap insurance .... anyone have a picture of where it goes its out of fame to the right on the diagram above sorry I cannot get the picture to copy and paste. thanks.

it goes between the frame rail to the cross member under the t-case sort of. On the drivers side (USA). It's kind of "useless" but it seems they may have needed it for something or they would have just dropped it.

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
medical
it goes between the frame rail to the cross member under the t-case sort of. On the drivers side (USA). It's kind of "useless" but it seems they may have needed it for something or they would have just dropped it.
so its underneath the transfer case? so not needed for me --- my FX2 is 2wd ... thanks!!!
I am going to add the one under the steering --- that should be on all of them to protect the steering but at least its cheap. thanks again for the quick answer. Ford could do a lot better job with those parts diagrams!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Andrew

Here are some pix....

Oil Pan skid plate (must be removed to access the oil pan drain plug)
skidoilpan.jpg

Transfer Case Skid Plate (you do need this one)
Skidtransfercase.jpg

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
medical
Hi Andrew

Here are some pix....

Oil Pan skid plate (must be removed to access the oil pan drain plug)
skidoilpan.jpg

Transfer Case Skid Plate (you do need this one)
Skidtransfercase.jpg

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks for the pictures! I have an FX2 -- it is a 2WD so I have no transfer case that explains why that one is missing........ ! I am kind of amazed that I do not have the oil pan / steering skid plate it is not on my truck or the other 20 Fx 2 I test drove ... I remember wondering why that steering motor had no protection. yes I did go under it as well Im kinda ocd that way....... I look at a whole lot of stuff on my test drives......... I tried to order the front oil pan plate today and of course, its on back order till middle of October. Fords parts order / diagrams need a lot of work. - thanks again for the pictures Phil! youre awesome as always! --- by the way we love your backstories!!!

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT

So the FX2 doesn't come with bash plates? That means the main differences are that they have the FX suspension, locking rear diff, and vinyls compared to the non FX2's? Interesting..

I figured Ford would have at least put the front and mid plates on it, but skipped the transfer case plate since it's not needed.

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
NC National Guard
So the FX2 doesn't come with bash plates? That means the main differences are that they have the FX suspension, locking rear diff, and vinyls compared to the non FX2's? Interesting..

I figured Ford would have at least put the front and mid plates on it, but skipped the transfer case plate since it's not needed.
The specs I read on the FX2 I thought it said it was supposed to have skid plates. I think it was the plastic one. I am ordering them for mine and basically tiring it into an FX2. I'll have everything but the decal when I'm done.

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
NC National Guard
The specs I read on the FX2 I thought it said it was supposed to have skid plates. I think it was the plastic one. I am ordering them for mine and basically tiring it into an FX2. I'll have everything but the decal when I'm done.
I must have read wrong or the wrong site.

Screenshot_20200909-113022_Chrome.jpg

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
To my knowledge there isn't a plastic plate. There's two different part numbers for the main plate, the first being KB3Z-5D032-A runs about $90.00 new and is black painted steel but does not extend to the bumper.

The larger silver plate is KB3Z-5D032-B is what's depicted in the FX2 package and is also on the FX4 and runs $285.00.

I was going to order the silver plate for mine until I saw this mod that @DukeCanBuildit did with the OEM air dam and the smaller black skid plate. His air dam mod looks amazing and perfectly fills the gap that the smaller plate leaves when installed. So it will save me $200 bucks for difference in the two plates.

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
medical
I also thought the FX2 was supposed to have skid plates since its advertised as a 2wd version of a 4wd but mine (a 2020 Fx2) does not have any skid plates and the other 20 I test drove did not either. I do not have the metal plate up front, I have similar looking silver plastic piece that goes under bumper back a little and no front air dam just the wings on the side. I do not have the plate that covers the steering either, (and of course---- it is on national back order). I understand that the Fx2 is mostly an appearance package but seem like all of them should have a plate under that steering motor - it kinda hangs down and seems open to any piece of random road crap that might fly up. I am going to order that plate as soon as I can find it but since this is a 2wd, that is likely all I need. I mainly wanted the locking rear end and I love the look of the fx2; I do not need 4wd and since this is a commuter truck the extra mpg for the 2wd vs the 4wd is probably more useful. not a complaint - I love my truck! but the Fx2 is an appearance package not an off road pkg as near as I can tell........ if anyone is curious about the Fx2 underneath I'll post a picture.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Did a little digging and according to Ford in their own press release from 8/14/19 the Ranger FX2 package is supposed to have the plates.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...019/08/13/ford-sporty-ranger-fx2-package.html

DEARBORN, Mich., Aug. 14, 2019 ...

Aimed at more urban markets, the FX2 Package rides on 17- or available 18-inch off-road tires to add even tougher styling to two-wheel-drive Ranger. A front underbody guard and air dam-delete provide even more distinction, while shielding the underbody and improving approach angles.
To me that means at the very least the same skid plate that is depicted in the release which happens to be the same as on the FX4.

RangerFX2_10_HR (1).jpg

With this press release, description, and imagery all showing it as having it, I'd definitely contact both the dealership and Ford Corporate and press them to fix this.

Mine came with factory towing, locking rear diff, and had the Off-Road cluster already enabled, but not the FX suspension, vinyls or plates... ? A very odd combination of options selected... The window sticker does not show it as a FX2 either so I could not press for the plates, but for those with the FX2 package and no bash plates, I'd screen cap, save, or print out the web page and take it to Ford. If they refuse then they are setting themselves up for a possible class-action lawsuit for false advertising.

Last edited:

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
NC National Guard
I also thought the FX2 was supposed to have skid plates since its advertised as a 2wd version of a 4wd but mine (a 2020 Fx2) does not have any skid plates and the other 20 I test drove did not either. I do not have the metal plate up front, I have similar looking silver plastic piece that goes under bumper back a little and no front air dam just the wings on the side. I do not have the plate that covers the steering either, (and of course---- it is on national back order). I understand that the Fx2 is mostly an appearance package but seem like all of them should have a plate under that steering motor - it kinda hangs down and seems open to any piece of random road crap that might fly up. I am going to order that plate as soon as I can find it but since this is a 2wd, that is likely all I need. I mainly wanted the locking rear end and I love the look of the fx2; I do not need 4wd and since this is a commuter truck the extra mpg for the 2wd vs the 4wd is probably more useful. not a complaint - I love my truck! but the Fx2 is an appearance package not an off road pkg as near as I can tell........ if anyone is curious about the Fx2 underneath I'll post a picture.
While mine wasn't a fx2 it did come with the locker. I've upgraded the suspension and ordered all the skid plates from Levittown. Even though it's on backorder I asked them to proceed so I will be on the list when they start sending them out.

Screenshot_20200911-153729_Gmail.jpg

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
medical
While mine wasn't a fx2 it did come with the locker. I've upgraded the suspension and ordered all the skid plates from Levittown. Even though it's on backorder I asked them to proceed so I will be on the list when they start sending them out.

Screenshot_20200911-153729_Gmail.jpg
I also plan to order the plates, at least the front ones -- the shipping on ford parts is expensive for some reason I believe the kb3z73063 is a transfer case plate that doesn't fit the 2wd since we don't have the transfer case. And glad they told you that the bolts are each instead of 4 pk like is pictured. curious what was the total with shipping for all that?

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
medical
Did a little digging and according to Ford in their own press release from 8/14/19 the Ranger FX2 package is supposed to have the plates.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...019/08/13/ford-sporty-ranger-fx2-package.html

To me that means at the very least the same skid plate that is depicted in the release which happens to be the same as on the FX4.

RangerFX2_10_HR (1).jpg

they chose their words carefully - it says front guard, I have one but its just plastic for looks I guess it will give some protection.

I Doubt wed get anywhere with that ( asking ford) it says underbody guard - there is one and it looks just like that but it is plastic not metal I do have the off road cluster (useless - id rather have volts, trans temp, amps) and the upgraded off road suspension, air dam delete, tow hooks and tires.... I will likely order the transmission / oil pan plate and maybe the front grey plate that is metal -----if I can confirm it is metal and not plastic like mine, but that ad says underbody guard not skid / bash plate I guess I should post a picture of what the underside of the FX2 looks like so anyone who cares can see the difference. its a great truck and I love the 'off road look' but I realize it is not an actual off road 4wd truck but for me, it will work great for occasional dirt roads or light trails and looks good doing it.
Sponsored