OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Sometimes when a part does not install right or go back in place the way it should I hit it with my first.

I'm pretty much 50/50 that it finally bends to my will or I damage something.

I'm also sure my neighbors probably think I am a domestic violence abuser. They can't see me working, but they probably here all the rumblings like, "F*** you use you useless cunt!" and "Why do you do this to me you are a piece of s***?"
Sponsored

jlmotox

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed. Worst video edit ever is for the RC 2-1/2” Level Kit from Stage 3. What they don’t show you is just how to get the longer strut back in. I’m certain it’s the part where they popped the CV while reefing down on the LCA. So many folks on here have followed those video instructions and lived to regret it. ?
Funny thing is I watched that video before I did my level kit and I kept saying to myself How did they make that work because it is not working for me. Ended up just doing it my way and was better off. lol

jlmotox

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Sometimes when a part does not install right or go back in place the way it should I hit it with my first.

I'm also sure my neighbors probably think I am a domestic violence abuser. They can't see me working, but they probably here all the rumblings like, "F*** you use you useless cunt!" and "Why do you do this to me you are a piece of s***?"
I guarantee my neighbors think the same thing of me ?

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
The secret to mods, repairs or what ever is to take your time and do it right the first time. As has been stated, the videos you watch are highly edited.

I did a teaching seminar once at a Gold Wing rally ... it was how to change the air cleaner. Not gonna lie to you this is a time consuming project. Most of the plastic needs to be removed just to get where you can see where it lives.

Anyway, the rally organizers asked me how long I needed so they could schedule. This was supposed to be people bring their bikes and we all do our own air cleaners.

I told them 4 hours ... ya know to be safe. The last guy got his bike back together with my help about 9 hours after we started. But, ya know what, every one of the guys that did it themselves walked away with a sense of accomplishment. And, they will feel more comfortable doing their own repairs in the future.

Lighten up on yourself ... seems you always get it done, just maybe with a hiccup of two. Rejoice in the fact you accomplished it yourself.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
yeah, ive looked at the grill swap, that looks like a pain, i will snap every single one of those lil tabs, and cut myself in the process, i know it!
Painter’s tape all over the parts that your grille could touch while you’re cursing and messing with it - more is better!

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

? Jack, you need to find a way to sound proof your garazeebo! ?

Robisten8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4WD, 2021 Bronco Sport
Vehicle Showcase
This is the very reason I don't ever attempt to fix or tackle a job that has anything to do with electricity! Everything else can usually be fixed no matter how bad I mess up.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD

I work on copier machines for a living, some the size of a small car; this is me daily lol ?

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Even the best mechanics go through it, everything I do on mine takes longer than it should. Ofcourse its my fault, bc I end up cleaning/adding things while I have them apart.
My wife has seen me fiddle with something for an hour, that I KNOW is simple to take off. Which I can literally do in one minute now. She also knows my jobs will usually take all day or more.

I remember with my first track car it took me all day to change all the suspension bushings. Then I worked on my friends car(same exact model and year) and did it in a couple of hours.

Sometimes research is not enough. <--------this is also something I spend alot of time doing.

CashSeeAO

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Semi-retired engineer
I feel like I can't do anything with out messing something else up, or it taking more effort than it should. I watch videos of the stuff i'm trying to do, and they are like, boom, you just pop this out, pop this in, and your are done!

me, i mess around with it for 4x longer than it should take and break or mess something up along the way. i feel like im carefully trying to paint a room and i step in the paint can.

my rear shocks took me 2 days to install, that should have been simple. i swapped out my side markers today for dark ones and i could hardly get the stock ones out, used a "mar free" trim prying tool on the passenger side and it fudged up the paint on the edge of cut out for the lens. i have magnetic touch up paint, but its not 100% im not an idiot, really! i just cant seem to do any mod to this truck with out a hiccup.

im getting my level kit installed tomorrow.. lets hope that goes ok, at least im not doing the work. :D

not looking for advice.. just venting.
This is part of learning. I have done my share of stripped bots, broken fasteners, marred panels, etc. Over time, I think I am much better now. I do lots of maintenance and mods because I “enjoy” doing my own work. I feel proud for doing the work myself despite setbacks occasionally. Once I don’t “enjoy” the work anymore, I will quit and pay someone else to it.

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
I learn a LOT from doing my own fixes, mods, repairs, etc.
I learned that it's a LOT cheaper to pay someone to do it for me.
I learned that it's a LOT easier on my knuckles, joints, fingers, head.
I learned that I swear a LOT less.
I learned that I waste a LOT less time.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I had a 20 year old rusty wrangler an every little job took at least double the time. Every bolt was rusted in place an many would break. I would pre soak them a few days before with pb blaster an it still sucked.

Nothing like doing a job an having left over parts.....I just joke "ah they over engineer all that shit".

here's a meme from the HD forum you can photo shop the word bike to truck.

bobbyhill joke.jpg

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 20 year old rusty wrangler an every little job took at least double the time. Every bolt was rusted in place an many would break. I would pre soak them a few days before with pb blaster an it still sucked.

Nothing like doing a job an having left over parts.....I just joke "ah they over engineer all that shit".

here's a meme from the HD forum you can photo shop the word bike to truck.
My ex-father in-law used to joke that HD stood for “hundred dollars” because every single little thing for his Springer Softail cost at least that much. ?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My ex-father in-law used to joke that HD stood for “hundred dollars” because every single little thing for his Springer Softail cost at least that much. ?
Hi Duke,

When at Ford sitting in meetings to discuss various problems...budgets etc. We used to throw out the term..."that is only a couple Tenths"... A tenth of a $ million...small change...$200,000....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored