First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
I was thinking about flushing my brake system so I tried to look up the type of fluid and how much I'll need. Looks like our rangers call out DOT 4 LV. From what I could gather, LV stands for low viscosity and is not the same as plain old DOT 4, but is the same as DOT4+. Does this sound right?

As for the quantity, I haven't been able to find that yet. Can anyone help with that?
Sponsored

machinist85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Dot 4 will work if but the thinner LV version is best. The ABS unit can pump it faster giving it better response time. So get the LV if it's available. The 32oz. bottle of fluid is enough for a flush and will leave you a some left over.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
You can get the Motocraft DOT4LV at a good price online. Just go that way since that is what Ford calls for. Makes it easier in the long run

diesel924

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2020 Escape
Occupation
Fire truck mechanic
The service manual says that pressure bleeding is the way to flush the system, so that's how I do it. Not sure if anything will be hurt or not if you use a vacuum bleeder or the 2 person method. Also, the manual says to use a scantool when pressure bleeding. Since I have FDRS at my shop this was no problem for me. The tool tells you step by step which wheels to bleed at and cycles all the valves in the ABS system. I haven't done my Ranger yet but I did my wife's 2020 Escape last week and the fluid that came out was discolored and had black flakes when I bled the rears.

The Motorcraft fluid is pretty cheap at Rock Auto.

OP
OP
Gazmic

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
I went to the dealership and got the DOT4LV.
I vacuum bled, not the easiest system to bleed, but the brakes still feel good.
used the maintenance manual posted by leafer for the sequence.
The worst part for me is that my reservoir is not translucent enough for me to see the fluid level.
had to do a visual check under the cap. (not a ton of room as its pretty close to the base of the hood)
Sponsored