First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Any recommendations for a small fluid pump to drain trans fluid via Mike's Fitzstick ???
There's thousands of them...hand, battery, electric, on Amazon.....just wondering what you have used with success.
Figure I'll use it the one/first time to drain before I install a new deep pan with a drain plug, so it dosen't have to be top quality or expensive.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Grumpaw

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thought of that, and also one of those inexpensive drill pumps, the type that uses a drill to operate. But most have a crummy rating. Thinking I might use one as it's basically a one type use.
I've seen other posts here but unable to locate one...so just asking....maybe it will help others in same boat.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Thought of that, and also one of those inexpensive drill pumps, the type that uses a drill to operate. But most have a crummy rating. Thinking I might use one as it's basically a one type use.
I've seen other posts here but unable to locate one...so just asking....maybe it will help others in same boat.
That's the magic word. Maybe try eBay for a used bilge pump.

LawnMM

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ranger Tremor
Probably more than you want to spend but there are black Friday sales going on right now:

Saw a good size pump with a 2.3 gallon capacity at harbor freight. Might be handy as you can easily measure what you're removing to know what needs to be replaced, approximately, without transferring to another measuring container.

Big Guy -$99

There was also a smaller one with no container for much less

Little Fella - $5

OP
OP
Grumpaw

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks Mike and Rich....thats what I first thought of using....
If Mike gives it a thumbs up....good enough for me.
And, there's a Harbor Freight about 5 miles from me...

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
This thing works well and it's cheap, I just use 1/4 or 3/8 nylon hose depending upon what I'm working on, and it's easy to clean out.

https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-transfer-pump-63144.html
I have one of those, have used it on diffs and transfer cases, it works but I experienced the hoses popping out at inopportune times and causing a mess.

I have a need for a better one as my tankless water heater has scale buildup and need to circulate cleaning solution thru it, the drill pumps reviews seen to be mostly negative.

Amazon has a number of electric ones, a few are black friday deals

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
I have one of those, have used it on diffs and transfer cases, it works but I experienced the hoses popping out at inopportune times and causing a mess.

Amazon has a number of electric ones, a few are black friday deals
Super good point! the hoses in the black end housings stay nicely when new, they are a slip/press fit, once you get oil in that slip fit they can pop out.

OP
OP
Grumpaw

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Super good point! the hoses in the black end housings stay nicely when new, they are a slip/press fit, once you get oil in that slip fit they can pop out.
As long as they stay put for my initial use....for 5 bucks it'll do.
I can figure something else out if i need it again....a spritz of brake cleaner will get rid of any residue.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Any recommendations for a small fluid pump to drain trans fluid via Mike's Fitzstick ???
There's thousands of them...hand, battery, electric, on Amazon.....just wondering what you have used with success.
Figure I'll use it the one/first time to drain before I install a new deep pan with a drain plug, so it dosen't have to be top quality or expensive.
Steve...this is what I used for pumping in or out fluid...works great for emptying the trans sump! Add your own 1/4" tubing from any hardware store...you can see it in action in my build thread during my fluid change...

For small or limited extractions, I use a quart hand pump...

61o7OU-4y7L._AC_SL1060_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0967G79FL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OP
OP
Grumpaw

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Steve...this is what I used for pumping in or out fluid...works great for emptying the trans sump! Add your own 1/4" tubing from any hardware store...you can see it in action in my build thread during my fluid change...

For small or limited extractions, I use a quart hand pump...

61o7OU-4y7L._AC_SL1060_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0967G79FL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That is funny....I was looking at that on Amazon this morning...actually put it in my wish list for possible purchase :like:

5 bucks or 20 bucks.....decisions decisions :headbang:

Last edited:

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I can see the electric one being far less messy.

I'm springing for the $20 bucks.

When I add the tax and the Mishimoto pan I bought this morning, that puts it right around $300 for the day.

Oh wait, I bought the running boards from @OFC Ranger this morning so I'm now over $400.

I think I should log out for a while.
Sponsored