First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
So I finally had the chance to get my transmission dipstick out and check the level. No surprise, it's bone dry when the vehicle is cold and running. Since I believe it should be at least barely on the bottom when cold and running, seems like it needs some fluid added.

I know these take the ULV fluid, I see 3 brands available. Motorcraft, Mecron, and Valvoline. I'm not sure how much one can mix and match these with the factory oil. Obviously Motorcraft is probably what's in there from the factory, just not sure how compatible the others are. Valvoline is all that's available locally. I can get a good price on Mecron from rock auto too. Can always go to the dealer for Motorcraft, but they're usually not great on price.
Amy recommendations from folks who have had to add trans fluid?
Sponsored

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
So I finally had the chance to get my transmission dipstick out and check the level. No surprise, it's bone dry when the vehicle is cold and running. Since I believe it should be at least barely on the bottom when cold and running, seems like it needs some fluid added.

I know these take the ULV fluid, I see 3 brands available. Motorcraft, Mecron, and Valvoline. I'm not sure how much one can mix and match these with the factory oil. Obviously Motorcraft is probably what's in there from the factory, just not sure how compatible the others are. Valvoline is all that's available locally. I can get a good price on Mecron from rock auto too. Can always go to the dealer for Motorcraft, but they're usually not great on price.
Amy recommendations from folks who have had to add trans fluid?
Checking it cold isn't going to tell you much of anything. It needs to be up to operating temperature. Crack the cap loose, put it back on finger tight so it seals, and go drive the truck for a bit so it heats up. Leave it idle, crawl under (make sure you're wearing gloves and long sleeves), and pop the dipstick back out.

I think I paid all of $7 for a quart of Motorcraft Mercon ULV at my dealer.
1638732977040.png

OP
OP

Yinzcity

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Checking it cold isn't going to tell you much of anything. It needs to be up to operating temperature. Crack the cap loose, put it back on finger tight so it seals, and go drive the truck for a bit so it heats up. Leave it idle, crawl under (make sure you're wearing gloves and long sleeves), and pop the dipstick back out.
I'll double check it hot, just didn't have the time yesterday. I'm referring to the method discussed in this thread for checking cold..

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/transmission-fluid-level-check.16217/page-2

OP
OP

Yinzcity

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Doing some further reading on the fluid check procedure, it seems like the service manual indicates the fluid would at least be on the dipstick when cold. If that's the case, then I'm definitely low. I had planned to top it off myself, but now I'm wondering if it's better to take it to the dealer just so it's on record.

Screenshot_20211210-182249_Samsung Notes.jpg
Sponsored