Do ya’ll turn your AC off before turning truck off?

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
a few have hit a little something that is some hidden wisdom I've learned.

what alot of folks don't do is run their AC year round. why would you do this during the winter!?!? WELL...you keep those seals good and lubed when the compressor is moving the suspended oil in the freon (or whatever numerical sequence it is now...back in my day it was still R12) But that little trick worked pretty well for most folks who had the "fancy" cars with the ATC back in the day (normally Lincolns, Caddys, Olds, Buick and Mercs...also the various Euro rides who installed AC's like Mercedes and Jags)...that would keep the compressor working and contrary to popular opinion it would keep the systems working longer. Of course using Defrost would generally kick on the compressor as well and would work well in many situations.

Anyway, I leave mine on. EATC is the business with my truck and the main reason why I got it.
Sponsored

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
a few have hit a little something that is some hidden wisdom I've learned.

what alot of folks don't do is run their AC year round. why would you do this during the winter!?!? WELL...you keep those seals good and lubed when the compressor is moving the suspended oil in the freon (or whatever numerical sequence it is now...back in my day it was still R12) But that little trick worked pretty well for most folks who had the "fancy" cars with the ATC back in the day (normally Lincolns, Caddys, Olds, Buick and Mercs...also the various Euro rides who installed AC's like Mercedes and Jags)...that would keep the compressor working and contrary to popular opinion it would keep the systems working longer. Of course using Defrost would generally kick on the compressor as well and would work well in many situations.

Anyway, I leave mine on. EATC is the business with my truck and the main reason why I got it.
Good point Darrell,
I heard the same thing about the earlier model A/C's...will keep that in mind this coming winter :)

Scarcar22

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4
Occupation
USMC/USA Veteran
Vehicle Showcase
105 is nothing lol I'd love for it to be that cool here. Heck it's 7:15 pm and it's still 109 out here with 117 forecasted this week.

Screenshot 2021-06-13 at 7.08.30 PM.jpg

you-gotta-pump-those-numbers-up-those-are-rookie-numbers-30070070.png

I remembered that dry heat when I was stationed at Yuma. I prefer dry heat over this damn humidity in Houston.

ArchitectThom

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Architect
Force of habit, but I always turn it off. Every time. And I live in Arizona.

I have no clue if it's better for the engine or not. Short term or long term. But I think my dad always did it and that's where I learned. I always get this nagging voice in the back of my head that tells me it's better for the engine to start up with as few accessories on as possible.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I remembered that dry heat when I was stationed at Yuma. I prefer dry heat over this damn humidity in Houston.
Chris,
My 1st encounter with serious humidity was Basic Training, Lackland AFB, San Antonio TX in the summertime. Fatigues soaked very quickly, people passing out while on KP, TI's grouchy, salt tablets, sweltering nights...I'll take the dry climate hands down! :)

Last edited:

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My 1st encounter with serious humidity was Basic Training, Lackland AFB, San Antonio TX in the summertime. Fatigues soaked very quickly, people passing out while on KP, salt tablets, sweltering nights...I'll take the dry climate hands down! :)

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
The only reason I used to turn it off up to a minute beforehand was because I was told that a funky smell can develop in the air box due to condensation. I remember cars back in the day that had that funk smell to air.

By the way, if you remote start with Ford Pass the truck automatically figures out if it's too hot or cold in the cab and will turn on the air or heat (sometimes heated seats) automatically. Once you get in and turn the key on, it will then revert back to current settings. I don't run my air all the time and my truck will kick on the air (even if it's off) if it's warm outside when I remote start.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The only reason I used to turn it off up to a minute beforehand was because I was told that a funky smell can develop in the air box due to condensation. I remember cars back in the day that had that funk smell to air.

By the way, if you remote start with Ford Pass the truck automatically figures out if it's too hot or cold in the cab and will turn on the air or heat (sometimes heated seats) automatically. Once you get in and turn the key on, it will then revert back to current settings. I don't run my air all the time and my truck will kick on the air (even if it's off) if it's warm outside when I remote start.
Isn't that automatic adjustment only if you have climate control?

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Dan Keil

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
Walmart Associate
If it real hot, I set my truck to start before I get in it, so it is set to run when it is started. Also for heat!
Then my seat heater is turned on too!

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I've noticed that if I remote start it in cold weather it turns on both seat heaters, just in case a passenger gets in too.

That clever rascal.
Sponsored