Do ya’ll turn your AC off before turning truck off?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
dont you dare head to canada and spread your damper virus across the border
Oh I have a suitcase packed liked a traveling salesman ready to peddle my goods. ?

Salesman.jpg
Sponsored

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I have enough "fun" with them every spring getting the yard tools going.
I have old Stihl chainsaw and if I want to use it on Wednesday, I have to start the cranking process on Monday! Stihl now has a high end EFI chainsaw, so hopefully the tech will trickle down.

fob63

First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
retired
So I’ve always been told (not lately though) to Always turn off the AC before turning off the vehicle. Is this another of my personal outdated “car-isms” or could it actually be Beneficial to the AC compressor and clutch? My trucks ASS still activates even w the AC on, once it cools the cabin down, so as long as I let ASS be then it’s going against what I’ve always been told on its on.
I too was taught this.

The other factor besides delay A/C clutch on startup on today's vehicles, is that I leave mine on now to allow air circulation of air box when car is shutoff. It helps in removing condensation that might still be in the airbox.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
My AC evaporator did have a funky smell issue when it was newer. Now I do try to turn off the compressor prior to stopping to dry it out. It's easier on days with lower humidity. I'd guess the AZ crowd can dry their evaporators out quickly. The MN crowd, not so much.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
105 is nothing lol I'd love for it to be that cool here. Heck it's 7:15 pm and it's still 109 out here with 117 forecasted this week.

Screenshot 2021-06-13 at 7.08.30 PM.jpg

you-gotta-pump-those-numbers-up-those-are-rookie-numbers-30070070.png
Dave, we are weather wimps here in our city compared to Phoenix and Las Vegas :sun:. Only 100 yesterday. The highest temp ever recorded here was 107.1°F. Will possibly be traveling to Phoenix in mid-July and find out what REAL heat is like ? :tumbleweed: :sunglasses:.

I never use remote start at home because the Ranger is always garaged...if I did, you probably wouldn't get anymore posts from me :LOL:. Don't use it from public places either...we have some of the highest rates of auto theft in the nation. Hope I never have to use the vehicle locater for that purpose :frown:. Yesterday, I touched the Saber paint surface of the Truck in the heat of the day and it surprisingly was not as hot as expected...hopefully this will help prevent any serious sun damage :like:. Pray for :rain:.

TURN IT DOWN!
1623697097870.png

Last edited:

l0rdv8r

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.reddit.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
CTO @ NASA
Mine stays on - makes remote starting easier. 97 with 99% humidity makes the inside of a truck pretty miserable on startup

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
that reminds me of my days in college
the roomates knew only two settings for the furnace. full on or full off

if it was cold in the morning...full on blast furnace
until you were sweating.
then full off
until you were freezing
repeat....

it was lost on them that a thermostat can do all that work for them
how they graduated and made it on in life was beyond me.
Hi RP,

I think these folks believe there is a hurry function on the thermostat if they turn it up full. My wife believed if you set the oven to 550° when she needed 350° it would get to 350° faster than if she set the oven to 350° initially. Finally used a stop watch over a couple days and it showed little difference in time to temperature for the oven... So explained this to her for the heat and A/C too. She now gets it!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Hi RP,

I think these folks believe there is a hurry function on the thermostat if they turn it up full. My wife believed if you set the oven to 550° when she needed 350° it would get to 350° faster than if she set the oven to 350° initially. Finally used a stop watch over a couple days and it showed little difference in time to temperature for the oven... So explained this to her for the heat and A/C too. She now gets it!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Can you explain this to my wife too.:lipssealed:

OP
OP
AdamHarris

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
God my wife believes the same thing about the house thermostat. If she can bump it way down numerically low then it will cool down faster. The struggle is real LOL.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi RP,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil,
Men learn quickly that women have different wiring in their DNA for temperatures...we are better off to conform to that without any debate :LOL:

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Hi RP,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Wait, so are you saying that repeatedly pressing the elevator call button won't make it arrive sooner :question:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I can't even spell carbomurator, much less remember how to prime one ?.

I know some long for "the good old days" but after having modern EFI I never want another carburetor on a vehicle.

I have enough "fun" with them every spring getting the yard tools going.

My last carb'ed vehicle was this dual carb hootnanny.

August 2012 1.jpg

Firing it up after sitting all winter could be an exercise in prayer and sacrificing a chicken.

I was planning on eventually swapping it to a Subaru engine but got rid of it because it was a time vampire.

2010cc stroker with dual Dellorto carbs and a bus transaxle.

Lightning quick acceleration (depending on traction it would pull a wheelie) but pretty much maxed out around 75
Monster KYOSHO ? ?

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Monster KYOSHO ? ?
When I was a kid, if we had extra parts left over after a repair would put them down the Carburetor's throat :LOL:
Sponsored