Do ya’ll turn your AC off before turning truck off?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I don't know fer-sher, but it would seem logical to tie in the A/C belt clutch with the ignition at some point in power distribution so that the belt clutch disengages on key shutoff but not ASS shutoff.
I'm pretty sure it is, you wouldn't want that extra load when starting. You wouldn't want it during ASS shut off either, doesn't do any good with motor stopped anyway. Also AC under load is a reason for ASS to be disabled.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hence my moving out of Tucson.
We're starting to look at other areas now just now sure on where to go. Wherever we go one prerequisite is it has to be a pro 2A state and no long cold winters. I hate being cold but it's been just getting hotter and hotter here especially with all the building going on. All the concrete and asphalt just hold the heat in and give it a "heat island effect" where even at 11:00 it's still over 100 out.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
LOL and I thought we had it bad here in Vegas
I do like it here as there's a lot to do and there are many states close by like CO & UT which are great places to vacation. It just seems like the heat is starting earlier and lasting longer every year. I honestly don't mind 105 but this 117+ is getting old real fast. Thank God it's dry because if it were humid I'd be packed up and gone by now. lol

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
So I’ve always been told (not lately though) to Always turn off the AC before turning off the vehicle. Is this another of my personal outdated “car-isms” or could it actually be Beneficial to the AC compressor and clutch? My trucks ASS still activates even w the AC on, once it cools the cabin down, so as long as I let ASS be then it’s going against what I’ve always been told on its on.
I am exact opposite during the summer here in HTX. I turn it on the highest setting so when I AutoStart the truck, it's blowing on max cold setting.
99 today with a heat index of 106. Humidity ranging from 79% in the morning to 50 late in the afternoon. It's a damn swampy ass here.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
We're starting to look at other areas now just now sure on where to go. Wherever we go one prerequisite is it has to be a pro 2A state and no long cold winters. I hate being cold but it's been just getting hotter and hotter here especially with all the building going on. All the concrete and asphalt just hold the heat in and give it a "heat island effect" where even at 11:00 it's still over 100 out.
Northern states for spring, summer and fall and then snowbirding for the winter is the best of both worlds. Absolutely love it! Only downside is my Ranger does not come with us for the winter.

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

I leave it on air when I turn off the Ranger. I see no problems when I hop in and fire the Ranger up for its adventure of the day. I believe there is a A/C clutch delay upon start up. I keep hearing the A/C kick in after startup.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
That’s another good point about Ford pass remote start. Mine today turned the ac on by itself today when I remote stated it with Ford pass. That’s cool.
I remote start with the fob instead of the Pass, but the result is the same, a pre-heated truck in the winter or a pre-cooled one in summer. This is one of the great things about this truck, in my opinion! So, to answer your question, no, I never turn the AC off, and nothing bad has come of it (so far)!

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Turning off A/C and other accessories is an old school way of thinking. Fuel injected cars of today start incredibly reliably. Going back to the 70’s and earlier, starting your carbureted car was often an anxiety inducing situation. You could flood it, or even run the battery down if the process dragged on, so people turned off the A/C, radio, etc. to give the battery every fighting chance. Chryslers of the era, in particular, had notoriously bad starters.

This is the way starting your car every day went…..listen closely and you can hear him pumping the gas peddle before cranking. Every car had a magic number of required peddle pumps to ensure ignition, but avoid flooding.

Last edited:

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
that reminds me of my days in college
the roomates knew only two settings for the furnace. full on or full off

if it was cold in the morning...full on blast furnace
until you were sweating.
then full off
until you were freezing
repeat....

it was lost on them that a thermostat can do all that work for them
how they graduated and made it on in life was beyond me.
Probably went straight into (micro)management.

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Turning off A/C and other accessories is an old school way of thinking. Fuel injected cars of today start incredibly reliably. Going back to the 70’s and earlier, starting your carbureted car was often an anxiety inducing situation. You could flood it, or even run the battery down if the process dragged on, so people turned off the A/C, radio, etc. to give the battery every fighting chance. Chryslers of the era, in particular, had notoriously bad starters.

This is the way starting your car every day went…..listen closely and you can hear him pumping the gas peddle peddle before cranking. Every car had a magic number of required peddle pumps to ensure ignition, but avoid flooding.

Finally.
You're not alone OP. I was taught your same technique. I must have passed it onto my son since I observed him do the same in his jeep two days ago. Operating modern vehicles I no longer use your technique. Bottom line--you are not alone.?

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger
105 is nothing lol I'd love for it to be that cool here. Heck it's 7:15 pm and it's still 109 out here with 117 forecasted this week.

Screenshot 2021-06-13 at 7.08.30 PM.jpg

you-gotta-pump-those-numbers-up-those-are-rookie-numbers-30070070.png
Hot and humid is ten times harder to deal with than hot and dry. Try living in florida where the heat index is 90 degrees at 9am in the morning.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hot and humid is ten times harder to deal with than hot and dry. Try living in florida where the heat index is 90 degrees at 9am in the morning.
Yea I hate humidity too that's what makes it hard trying to find another area. My parents had a house for years down on Marco Island and it was like a sauna there especially after a summer thunderstorm. We thought about doing a reverse snowbird which I guess you'd call a sunbird? lol Stay here from fall - spring and take off somewhere north for the summers.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Finally.
You're not alone OP. I was taught your same technique. I must have passed it onto my son since I observed him do the same in his jeep two days ago. Operating modern vehicles I no longer use your technique. Bottom line--you are not alone.?
I can't even spell carbomurator, much less remember how to prime one ?.

I know some long for "the good old days" but after having modern EFI I never want another carburetor on a vehicle.

I have enough "fun" with them every spring getting the yard tools going.

My last carb'ed vehicle was this dual carb hootnanny.

August 2012 1.jpg

Firing it up after sitting all winter could be an exercise in prayer and sacrificing a chicken.

I was planning on eventually swapping it to a Subaru engine but got rid of it because it was a time vampire.

2010cc stroker with dual Dellorto carbs and a bus transaxle.

Lightning quick acceleration (depending on traction it would pull a wheelie) but pretty much maxed out around 75
Sponsored