Do the TPMS Sensors need to be re-trained during tire rotation?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
deflate one way down and see if its still correct.
I don't see the purpose in doing this - the dash matched the values I checked manually - and there was a unique value, so it confirms the dash has them in the correct spots.
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
unique is not the word for it.
it's only 2psi different. neither your gauge or the trucks system are calibrated, so the potential error could more than make up for what you think is correct.

can someone else who is wondering carry this out? it's not that hard to verify.
Technically you could be correct, however I think it highly unlikely both the dash and my gauge readings would be off by the same amount. That would be highly coincidental. All readings with my gauge matched the dash cluster.

It is just a PITA to air down a tire, wait a bit., potentially drive a couple miles, then drag out the compressor to re-inflate the tire when I see no purpose in it. Sorry.

Reactions: EJH

Washashore

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCab Lariat 4x4
This thread got me curious, so this morning I went out and did some checking. When I did my oil change I rotated the tires but did NOTHING with the TPMS sensors. This morning, the dash readout showed the driver front with 33 lbs and the other 3 with 31 lbs. I took my tire gauge and checked all 4 tires and that matched what the gauge showed. So, somehow the truck DOES know which tire is which and where it is. I didn't do anything and it figured it out somehow. I changed my oil almost 1000 miles ago now, so I don't know when it figured it out, but it did.
We recently experienced a cold snap and I had to air up each tire by 3 PSI. As I did each tire, I checked the Ranger's tire display and it matched my gauge exactly. I did not have to move the truck, in Accessory Mode , the TPMS system updated the Ranger's display within a minute of adding air to each tire .

P.S I used a calibrated tire gauge,

Just wanted to share as a datapoint...

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Just wanted to note I used the “deflate” procedure to train the tires after rotating and it worked perfectly. Thanks again for those instructions @RANGER PRIDE

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Also you only have to deflate a pound or two tops before the horn honks. It’s very quick. Took maybe a minute and a half to do all 4 tires and a another minute or two to air them back to specs.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
We recently experienced a cold snap and I had to air up each tire by 3 PSI. As I did each tire, I checked the Ranger's tire display and it matched my gauge exactly. I did not have to move the truck, in Accessory Mode , the TPMS system updated the Ranger's display within a minute of adding air to each tire .

P.S I used a calibrated tire gauge,

Just wanted to share as a datapoint...
I had the same experience when we were off roading and aired down to 22 lbs. I have a portable compressor with a built in gauge and I would air up one side and check it against the trucks display and it would show within a minute or so,no need to drive or move the truck.

Stockranger

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
Rotated my tires at 5k miles. I was running 5lbs more in my rear tires because I had been towing a heavy load the day before. Next time I drove the truck I saw the higher inflated tires were in the front. It does it auto-magically folks. No need for all this honking and hazard sorcery.

pa-fatboy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Mustang GT Premium, 1966 Mustang Convertible C Code, 2019 Ford Fusion, 2005 Ford Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
Assuming the TPMS works the same as the other Ford vehicles, there is no need to retrain them. I have rotated and completely swapped summer / winter wheels which replaced the TPMS sensors altogether. All my cars have been able to recgnize the changes in the TPMS locations and display accurate tire pressures via the dash board.

When I recently needed to add air into the Rangers Tires, I had my daughter sit in the drivers seat and watch the dash air pressure display. After about a minute of finishing adding air, the correct tire location would update immediately. I did the because the Ford App alerted me to a low tire pressure in the rear when my daughter was using the truck. The tech Ford is using is soooooo fricken coooool! I love it!

I did purchase the TPMS reset FOB, but have not needed it yet. My experience has been with a 2014 Mustang, 2014 Fusion, 2016 Mustang and a 2018 Fusion.

My recommendation is to do your rotation and validate if you need to perfo m the reset procedure, there are some great you-tube video’s that demonstrate the process.

Last edited:

pa-fatboy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Mustang GT Premium, 1966 Mustang Convertible C Code, 2019 Ford Fusion, 2005 Ford Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
TRAINING
Because the pressure is different for front/rear tires, the system must be trained following a tire rotation. The training procedure will let the system know where each sensor is physically located (front-left/front-right/rear-left/rear-right). There are 2 options to perform the training:

1- SENSOR TRAINING WITHOUT TOOL
Notes:

• This method requires to deflate each tire, so an air compressor is required to re-inflate them after the procedure is completed.
  • This method can’t be used to teach the system to recognize a new sensor (i.e. after buying and installing a new sensor), but it will work afterwards.

1. Drive your vehicle above 20 mph (32 km/h) for at least two minutes to activate the sensors.
2. Switch the ignition off.
3. Switch the ignition on with the engine off.
4. Turn the hazard flashers on then off three times, this must be completed within 10 seconds. If the reset mode has been entered successfully, the horn will chirp once and the system indicator will flash.
5. Train the system sensors in the tires using the following reset sequence starting with the left front tire and following a clockwise order: Left front, right front, right rear, left rear.
6. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the left front tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn chirps. Note: The single horn chirp confirms that the sensor identification code has been learned by your vehicle for this position. If a double horn chirp is heard, the reset procedure was unsuccessful and must be repeated.
7. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the right front tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn chirps.
8. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the right rear tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn chirps.
9. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the left rear tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn chirps. Training is complete when the horn chirps after the last system sensor (left rear) has been trained and the system indicator stops flashing.
10. Switch the ignition off. If two short horn chirps are heard, the reset procedure was unsuccessful and must be repeated.
11. Set all four tires to the correct pressure See Maintenance (owner’s manual page 211) or the tire inflation pressure label
(located on the edge of driver door or the B-Pillar).

2- SENSOR TRAINING WITH TOOL
Notes:

• It is not required to deflate the tire using this method, but the following tool must be obtained:
Ford-TPMS-Sensor-Tool-Training-Relearn-610x880.jpg

Ford TPMS Sensor Training Tool (Motorcraft TPMS19 Transmitter).

PROCEDURE:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, then press and release the brake pedal.
2. Cycle the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
3. Press and release the brake pedal.
4. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
5. Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
*The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if the training mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center will display TRAIN LF TIRE.*
6. Place the tire pressure monitor activation tool on the LEFT (Driver’s Side) FRONT tire sidewall at the valve stem. Press and release the test button repeatedly on the TPMS Tool until the horn beeps. (It may take up to 6 seconds for the tool to activate the sensor, Leave the tool on the sidewall for the entire 6 seconds). The horn beeping indicates that the body control module has recognized the TPMS sensor.
7. Within 2 minutes of the horn sounding confirming programming of the LF tire, place the TPMS tool on the RIGHT (Passenger’s Side) FRONT tire sidewall at the valve stem and press the test button to activate the sensor.
8. Repeat step 7 for RIGHT REAR followed by LEFT REAR tire in that order. The procedure is complete after the last tire has been trained. When training is complete, the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE TRAINING COMPLETE. For vehicles not equipped with a message center, successful completion of the training procedure is verified by turning the key to the OFF position without the horn sounding. If the horn beeps twice when the switch is turned to OFF the training procedure was not successful.

NOTE: If the vehicle or wheels/sensors have been stationary for more than 30 minutes, the sensors will go into a “sleep mode” to conserve battery power. It is necessary to wake them up by simply moving them or rolling the tires before they will communicate with the vehicle.

NOTE: The TPMS training procedure must be done on one vehicle at a time, in an area without radio frequency interference – at least 3 feet away from other vehicles equipped with TPMS sensors.

Hey RangerPride,

I found this as well. The documentation says you need the tool. There are several really good you-tube video’s demonstrating the steps outlined.

As I commented on in my earlier post, I have never needed to perform this procedure to have my tire pressure show up properly in my dash display. I tend to drive with th the tire pressures displayed in the dash so I see it a lot.

Has anyone found they had to use the reset FOB?

Washashore

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCab Lariat 4x4
Rotated my tires at 5k miles. I was running 5lbs more in my rear tires because I had been towing a heavy load the day before. Next time I drove the truck I saw the higher inflated tires were in the front. It does it auto-magically folks. No need for all this honking and hazard sorcery.
Hey RangerPride,

I found this as well. The documentation says you need the tool. There are several really good you-tube video’s demonstrating the steps outlined.

As I commented on in my earlier post, I have never needed to perform this procedure to have my tire pressure show up properly in my dash display. I tend to drive with th the tire pressures displayed in the dash so I see it a lot.

Has anyone found they had to use the reset FOB?
I purchased the tool but didn't need it when I swapped to winter tires / wheels and new TPMS sensors (TPMS-42). My Ranger learned the new sensors and positions within 2 miles of driving....

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Just had my tires rotated. Don’t know if the dealership reset the TPMS. After my own inspection the dealer just moved the tires front to back on the same side.
I like them crisscrossed so I swapped the fronts, right to left, left to right.
My tire psi was 32 cold so I wanted to raise them to 35. Thinking about the TPMS I let air out of the left tire down to 25. Started the truck and noticed the correct tire was reading 25. Aired up all tires to 35 and after a few miles the left read 35.
No other action needed.

LurchOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat w/501A, Built 02-08-2019
Systems with only one receiver can't tell exactly where the signals from the tires are coming from; so they report by sensor ID. Move a sensor and you'll need to tell the receiver.
Systems with 4 receivers (one per corner) don't care what sensor is near them, they just report the results. Thus, no relearning required.

UK_Ranger

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Wildtrack 3.2
Vehicle Showcase
I got new sensors with my new wheels and the system is stuck with the old readings and reports a fault every 10 mins while driving.

I found this video on how to relearn the sensors. It involves pressing the start/stop button a bunch of times until the horn sounds..

Watch..

I managed to get it in the learn mode but turns out I need the tool also, orderd it, will report back how it goes..

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty sure our TPMS are self locating...never had to set mine after the last four rotations...

UK_Ranger

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Wildtrack 3.2
Vehicle Showcase
I think the sensors that were supplied with my new wheels were sub standard (didn't work at all) . Today I had the wheels stripped and the old sensors swapped across, now all good.
Sponsored