Advertisement

Do the TPMS Sensors need to be re-trained during tire rotation?

Washashore

First Name
JM
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCab Lariat 4x4
Rotated my tires at 5k miles. I was running 5lbs more in my rear tires because I had been towing a heavy load the day before. Next time I drove the truck I saw the higher inflated tires were in the front. It does it auto-magically folks. No need for all this honking and hazard sorcery.
Hey RangerPride,

I found this as well. The documentation says you need the tool. There are several really good you-tube video’s demonstrating the steps outlined.

As I commented on in my earlier post, I have never needed to perform this procedure to have my tire pressure show up properly in my dash display. I tend to drive with th the tire pressures displayed in the dash so I see it a lot.

Has anyone found they had to use the reset FOB?
I purchased the tool but didn't need it when I swapped to winter tires / wheels and new TPMS sensors (TPMS-42). My Ranger learned the new sensors and positions within 2 miles of driving....

Advertisement

kieefer

First Name
keith
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Just had my tires rotated. Don’t know if the dealership reset the TPMS. After my own inspection the dealer just moved the tires front to back on the same side.
I like them crisscrossed so I swapped the fronts, right to left, left to right.
My tire psi was 32 cold so I wanted to raise them to 35. Thinking about the TPMS I let air out of the left tire down to 25. Started the truck and noticed the correct tire was reading 25. Aired up all tires to 35 and after a few miles the left read 35.
No other action needed.

LurchOR

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat w/501A, Built 02-08-2019
Systems with only one receiver can't tell exactly where the signals from the tires are coming from; so they report by sensor ID. Move a sensor and you'll need to tell the receiver.
Systems with 4 receivers (one per corner) don't care what sensor is near them, they just report the results. Thus, no relearning required.

UK_Ranger

First Name
Paul
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Wildtrack 3.2
Vehicle Showcase
I got new sensors with my new wheels and the system is stuck with the old readings and reports a fault every 10 mins while driving.

I found this video on how to relearn the sensors. It involves pressing the start/stop button a bunch of times until the horn sounds..

Watch..

I managed to get it in the learn mode but turns out I need the tool also, orderd it, will report back how it goes..

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Reaction score
Website
www.coroflot.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 MINI Cooper S Modified, 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo Modified (sold)
Occupation
Mack Trucks Senior Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

UK_Ranger

First Name
Paul
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Wildtrack 3.2
Vehicle Showcase
I think the sensors that were supplied with my new wheels were sub standard (didn't work at all) . Today I had the wheels stripped and the old sensors swapped across, now all good.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2020 Escape AWD Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
You do not have to reset your TPS sensors when you rotate the tires. If you install new or different sensors then you will have to retrain the sensors.

Last edited:

Mach-1

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Rotated my tires last weekend. Didn't worry about resetting TPMS because there's not anything about it or a reset procedure in the owner's manual. Asked my mechanic about it too. He says they self-locate, no need to reset.

HarryD

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport, 2014 Yamaha FZ-09
What I am understanding is if a set of wheels with TPMS sensors are rotated, their I.D. Numbers are stored and can re-set their relative positions, but if another set of wheels with different I.D. Numbers are put on, Ford’s procedure (Airing Down or Sensor Tool) are required.

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
NC National Guard
I did my first tire rotation this weekend. All other times have been at the dealer.

I bought a fifth matching wheel and tire to have as a spare and include in the rotation. PSI was set to 40 before the rotation. I moved the front right to the rear left, front left to spare, spare to rear right, rear right to front left, and rear left to front right.

I took the spare to the dealership and had them install the TPMS and was told I would have to come back for them to program. I attempted the manual retrain process and the spare I installed to the rear right would not trigger the horn. But, after setting them all to 35 PSI per the door sticker the dash display matched the PSI. I haven't removed any air to verify the system is tracking the location of each sensor, but definitely will this weekend.

4g63det

First Name
Harrison
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 501A
Occupation
Electrician
I did my first tire rotation this weekend. All other times have been at the dealer.

I bought a fifth matching wheel and tire to have as a spare and include in the rotation. PSI was set to 40 before the rotation. I moved the front right to the rear left, front left to spare, spare to rear right, rear right to front left, and rear left to front right.

I took the spare to the dealership and had them install the TPMS and was told I would have to come back for them to program. I attempted the manual retrain process and the spare I installed to the rear right would not trigger the horn. But, after setting them all to 35 PSI per the door sticker the dash display matched the PSI. I haven't removed any air to verify the system is tracking the location of each sensor, but definitely will this weekend.
I put 4 OEM sensors on aftermarket wheels with new tires and never had to train anything. TPMS were picked up automatically.

RANGER PRIDE

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Supercrew
Can we end this discussion? the servicer manual is pretty clear.
whatever witchcraft and sorcery some of you think is happening, is not supported by the documentation. they do not retrain themselves to a new location, although they may still show a pressure.

1601399128733.png

1601399556421.png

Attachments

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4
Can we end this discussion? the servicer manual is pretty clear.
whatever witchcraft and sorcery some of you think is happening, is not supported by the documentation. they do not retrain themselves to a new location, although they may still show a pressure.

1601399128733.png

1601399556421.png
Regardless of what you think the manual says, it is simple to prove that the Ranger detects the position of each sensor on its own, and recognizes new sensors (for a second set of wheels) without any tools or special procedure.

There is a disconnect here between what the manual says, how the manual is being interpreted, and how the truck behaves when relocating or replacing sensors. Perhaps the manual we are looking at here is outdated. Perhaps early-production or pre-production Rangers had a less-capable system that (thankfully) was upgraded without making last-minute manual changes. I don’t have those answers, but I can easily prove that the system in my truck does not work the way the attached manual excerpts describe.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Reaction score
Website
www.coroflot.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 MINI Cooper S Modified, 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo Modified (sold)
Occupation
Mack Trucks Senior Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Regardless of what you think the manual says, it is simple to prove that the Ranger detects the position of each sensor on its own, and recognizes new sensors (for a second set of wheels) without any tools or special procedure.

There is a disconnect here between what the manual says, how the manual is being interpreted, and how the truck behaves when relocating or replacing sensors. Perhaps the manual we are looking at here is outdated. Perhaps early-production or pre-production Rangers had a less-capable system that (thankfully) was upgraded without making last-minute manual changes. I don’t have those answers, but I can easily prove that the system in my truck does not work the way the attached manual excerpts describe.
My experience exactly...I replaced my wheels/tires with a new set of TPMS and the sensors have always worked and know where they are after every rotation...

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement