Am I the only one that can't get all the oil out during an oil change?

WoodrowX

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I've done 3 oil changes myself on the Ranger and each time I get out about 5 1/2 quarts of oil. I drain the pan, then move to the filter. This last time I removed the oil cap and dip stick before draining thinking that I may have a vacuum of some sort keeping oil from draining, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

How much oil are you all draining when you do your oil changes?
Sponsored

MINI Ranger

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2014 MINI Cooper S Clubman
Occupation
ASE Master Technician, MINI Technician, Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't actually changed my oil on the Ranger as it came with "free" oil changes, but apparently the dealers have trouble with this too as mine is always overfilled after an oil change.
It's possible that the oil is not drained completely due to not removing or loosening the oil filter before draining the pan. This happens on most BMW/MINI vehicles.

OP
OP

WoodrowX

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I haven't actually changed my oil on the Ranger as it came with "free" oil changes, but apparently the dealers have trouble with this too as mine is always overfilled after an oil change.
It's possible that the oil is not drained completely due to not removing or loosening the oil filter before draining the pan. This happens on most BMW/MINI vehicles.
Thank you. This makes sense. The next time I am planning on ensuring my oil filter is removed before draining the pan.

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
When I do oil changes, on my personal vehicles, I drop the oil first, re-install the drain plug loosely, remove the oil filter, let the oil drain oil out of the oil filter adaptor, and then install the new oil filter. By the time you go through all that, there's another quarter to half quart of oil in the pan. Pull the drain plug again to drain the rest of the old oil. Then follow through with finishing the oil change.

As long as you run the correct spec oil, run quality filters, and change it within reasonable service intervals..... you should not have to worry about sludge.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Ive never had the issue with my truck. I also just put 6 qts in it instead of the 6.2 qts. The level is about right of not just below the top.

Just a thought but maybe this is the "quote on quote" oil dilution people are heavily concerned with?

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
I have been changing my own oil for nearly half a century and only once have I not overfilled slightly if using the published amount.
When I had my boat engine oil pan off for over a week while prepping and painting a new one, the oil drained completely enough that 6 quarts put it exactly to the full line.
It was still occasionally dripping as the new pan was installed

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Try it like this...
Turn vehicle upside down, run engine to heat oil up, and open oil fill cap to let it drain.
Turn vehicle right side up, re-fill with fresh oil, re install fill cap, and,
Wallah...your done !

sddefault.jpg

tit64

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2019 Lariat
Occupation
CTR
Hello;
Will try this method next time I flush my truc .
Thanks guys .

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I always remove the filter first. There is an anti drain back valve in the filter that keeps all the oil in the oil passages from draining back into the pan. Removing the filter allows this oil to drain.

I did the first oil change on mine about 1500 miles ago and put 6.2 quarts in. That filled it to the mid point between the top of the hash marks and the max fill hole.
Sponsored